Playing with a cue you made.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with a cue you made.

Here is an interesting few questions for the cue makers out there.

What does it feel like playing with a cue you made yourself?

What was the best cue you made so far that you made and used yourself?

What do you look for in a cue yourself - wood - spec - balance - other?

If someone else was to make a cue for you who would you choose n why?

this could hopefully be a good thread good questions

Comment

well it would be if anyone replied - think maybe they all play it safe - wait for Trevor White to go first then just agree
      Last edited by Byrom; 5 June 2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

self satifaction mainly,was what wanted to do for about 6-7 yrs,before i got there.

Comment

I wouldn't class myself a cuemaker, I don't earn my living this way but I've mucked about enough with them. To be honest, I don't really feel anything 'emotionally' different for the cue, at the end of the day its just a cue, I either like it or I don't.

It has given me the opportunity to try a few interesting specs out though, just to put those niggling thoughts one has to bed - I wonder what if I change this or that etc. The best bit about it though, its a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!

Best cue I have made was probably a recent one which I had a knock with before the final finish, but it was an order For me the cue is all about the shaft. What do I look? - a very tight side grain but the shaft still has to be stiff enough. I'm not too bothered personally about even arrows, but I don't like too many as I find it a little distracting. I actually have a cue in progress for myself exactly like this. As for the butt anything but plain ebony, just a bit boring for me. Balance anywhere between 16.5" - 18.5" not too fussed.

Who would I order from, well I can give quite an honest opinion on this having bought from most. For me either Tony glover or Trevor White. Although Trevors finish is far superior imo, both are quite good value in comparison to others and nice guys to deal with. Although I do have an Ultimate on order, never really like their finish though.

Comment

Is the finish really that important though? Surely it's pretty easy to go online to find a few ways to treat a cue, oiling, wire wool etc to get a smooth finish.

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
              Is the finish really that important though? Surely it's pretty easy to go online to find a few ways to treat a cue, oiling, wire wool etc to get a smooth finish.
              Its not necessarily all about making the finish feel smooth, its how it performs under different conditions such as hot humid days at tournaments where 100 are crammed into a snooker hall or those cold winter days where you can see your own breath.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Here is an interesting few questions for the cue makers out there.

What does it feel like playing with a cue you made yourself?

What was the best cue you made so far that you made and used yourself?

What do you look for in a cue yourself - wood - spec - balance - other?

If someone else was to make a cue for you who would you choose n why?
                I'd like J6 to answer this question because he's up there with the best of the regular posters in terms of ability and he tests every cue he makes to make sure it's a player to his standards. Ton up etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                  I'd like J6 to answer this question because he's up there with the best of the regular posters in terms of ability and he tests every cue he makes to make sure it's a player to his standards. Ton up etc.
                  I agree - but I beginning to sense a recurring theme here for the master blaster - I have a mate who falls in love with every bar maid who serves him - At first I thought it was just a John Parris thing mate but beginning to think this love you have might be for cue makers in general?

Come on admit it they give you wood don't they?

Comment

I agree - but I beginning to sense a recurring theme here for the master blaster - I have a mate who falls in love with every bar maid who serves him - At first I thought it was just a John Parris thing mate but beginning to think this love you have might be for cue makers in general?

Come on admit it they give you wood don't they?

The only addiction is yours with dodgy video sites! PMSL!

Comment

Yep it sounds like the blaster is divorcing Parris of late in favour of J6, and considering he's never played with either cues I find his advice crap

Comment

nah... he's just a sad cu nt who latches onto people.
                        #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

The last thing j6 needs is mb as a fan!

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                            I wouldn't class myself a cuemaker, I don't earn my living this way but I've mucked about enough with them. To be honest, I don't really feel anything 'emotionally' different for the cue, at the end of the day its just a cue, I either like it or I don't.

It has given me the opportunity to try a few interesting specs out though, just to put those niggling thoughts one has to bed - I wonder what if I change this or that etc. The best bit about it though, its a hell of a lot cheaper!!!!

Best cue I have made was probably a recent one which I had a knock with before the final finish, but it was an order For me the cue is all about the shaft. What do I look? - a very tight side grain but the shaft still has to be stiff enough. I'm not too bothered personally about even arrows, but I don't like too many as I find it a little distracting. I actually have a cue in progress for myself exactly like this. As for the butt anything but plain ebony, just a bit boring for me. Balance anywhere between 16.5" - 18.5" not too fussed.

Who would I order from, well I can give quite an honest opinion on this having bought from most. For me either Tony glover or Trevor White. Although Trevors finish is far superior imo, both are quite good value in comparison to others and nice guys to deal with. Although I do have an Ultimate on order, never really like their finish though.
                            Interesting - getting back to the thread before it develops into the master blaster show again - thanks for your input Adam

Why a cue maker would buy from anyone else is intriguing - as I'd have thought you are the type of person that could make a cue what you like yourself.
                            Maybe its like cooking for me - always tastes better when someone else makes it for me - or is that just my cooking?

As for the finish I prefer a less smooth finish as I like to get a little feedback on the bridge - I feel it helps my timing of the shot. Had a cue that had a flat spot - hard wood underneath I got used to feeling this go over the bridge just before the pause at the back.

Comment

As for the finish I prefer a less smooth finish as I like to get a little feedback on the bridge - I feel it helps my timing of the shot. Had a cue that had a flat spot - hard wood underneath I got used to feeling this go over the bridge just before the pause at the back.
                              I concur, it's made from ash and I like to feel the ridges in the grain, which is why I don't particularly like maple. I've made a few cues and had a bash with them before selling, but as they were all standard length they were no good to me.
                              One though had great response, super tight straight grain ash shaft with an Ipe (type of ironwood) butt, wish I'd made it longer to suit me, but I got a hundred quid for it so can't complain.

Comment

Working...
                              X