Longer Cue - What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer Cue - What to do?

Hi, I've just recently been having some coaching and been advised that at 6ft 3 my standard 57" cue is a couple of inches short for me as my back arm is hitting my body on forcing shots. I've had a John Parris Standard 3/4 jointed Cue for the last 15years and been very happy with it. I'd like some advice on whether to get:

1. a new butt but a couple of inches longer, but this could affect the balance of the cue.

2. a new cue completely, I've been thinking possibly a new 1 piece cue.

I've been interested in the Gravity Cue but does anyone have any experience of using one of these?

Any other recommendations, possibly North West, Osbourne, Trevor White?

Also does anyone hold stocks of these in the South East where I could try before I buy?

Many thanks

option one should be possible - a top cue maker will get it very close in feel to the way it is now. i suspect all of your named options will be better than a gravity cue!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
      option one should be possible - a top cue maker will get it very close in feel to the way it is now. i suspect all of your named options will be better than a gravity cue!

Totally agree with ADR on that one.

It's not a problem to lengthen the cue and to keep the weight as it is currently. This would mean splicing the butt with a timber that wouldn't add any more weight than it has at the moment, but this should prove no bother to anyone worth their salt.

Out of interest, how much length were you told to add?

Comment

my money says at 6'3" the coach says he needs a 59" cue. - not sure thats true but thats my guess!!

Comment

id agree with whats been said in reply already, and would imagine a good cuemaker will be able to get it as spot on as possible (so that even to you its "unnoticeable")

mind you, adding the "couple of inches" (if by that you mean 2) may be too big a difference to what youre used to.....id agree that 2 inches or so is about right for your height "in general" but i reckon 1 inch or maximum 1.5 inch would be enough difference (to begin with)

best of luck with it

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if you are tall. IM 6 foot 6 and had a Parris cue made longer for me after been given the advice by a coach.
            It never worked for me and affected my game badly . Ive changed my cue since . Shame you dont live nearer southampton you could of given mine ago
            Doctor, Doctor i keep thinking i am a snooker ball.
            Well get to the back of the queue !

Comment

Im a wally just seen your height.
              Doctor, Doctor i keep thinking i am a snooker ball.
              Well get to the back of the queue !

Comment

If you like your cue I'd get Trev or a good local cue doctor to make it longer!
                Otherwise I'd get a quote for a new one from Trves1!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, I was told to add 2 inches and that should allow me to be a bit more free on forcing shots and not hot my body on the way through. I have always played with the flat mace of the cue in the palm of my right hand so downward facing. I see a lot of the Pro's all place with the Mace up and wondered if this could be causing me problems hitting across the cue ball. That was one of the reason's I was considering the Gravity Cue. It would force me to use the cue Mace Up and change my position.

Thanks again for all the great advice I have only recently found this forum, I used to contribute on GreenBaize a few years ago.

Oh I should add the coach was Steve Newberry and I had a great session with him down in Neath a couple of months ago. There are not many coaches in the SE area.

Comment

where you hold the cue should not make any difference.

- trevor could easily make the same style as a gravity cue by having a heavier opposite splice so you can still have the badge up if you get him to lengthen your cue but i think he will advise you against it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Rojjj
                      Hi,

Thanks for the comments, I was told to add 2 inches and that should allow me to be a bit more free on forcing shots and not hot my body on the way through. I have always played with the flat mace of the cue in the palm of my right hand so downward facing. I see a lot of the Pro's all place with the Mace up and wondered if this could be causing me problems hitting across the cue ball. That was one of the reason's I was considering the Gravity Cue. It would force me to use the cue Mace Up and change my position.

Thanks again for all the great advice I have only recently found this forum, I used to contribute on GreenBaize a few years ago.

Oh I should add the coach was Steve Newberry and I had a great session with him down in Neath a couple of months ago. There are not many coaches in the SE area.

Hi,

It might be of interest to you to learn that many players use a cue 'flat up' purely because they like to view the grain in an ash shaft in a certain way.

Most ash shafted cues will have this 'flat' cut on the side which aligns with the 'arrow' pattern you'll see on ash cues. This 'arrow' patten is what many players like to sight down when addressing the cueball on the shot.

The fact that you might cue accross the ball is totally unrelated to whether you cue 'flat down', or, 'flat up'.

There is no benefit as far as I know to having the weight of a cue offset in the way these Gravity thingies suggest.

In my honest opinion, it's just another marketing gimmick, or to be more fair to those producing these cues, more designed to seperate their product from the rest of the market, as far as cue production goes anyhow.

The VAST majority of the greatest players you've seen in your entire life, use cues which are conventionally weighted, and, to pretty awesome effect I think you'd agree. does anyone reading this post truely believe the likes of O'sullivan would really be ANY better for using a cue with an offset weight???

I'd guess probably not, no.

I've played with hundreds of different cues in the 25 years I've played snooker. Some that have had offset weight (not deliberately so) and many with a 'normal' weight distribution. I can honestly say there is no real difference in how they'll play, as there are just too many variables in what constitutes a 'REALLY' good playable cue.

The Gravity concept is just that, a concept.

There is NO CUE, that can or will, make you deliver the cue straighter, that is up to you to do. This is why most players whio are proficient at the game will have played for some time, have a degree of talent, and, will have drilled and polished that talent into shape.

There is NO substitute for that, it's the ONLY way to get where you want to be.

As for the length of your cue, well, I'd say at 6'3", you'd need a cue of about 58" or maybe slightly above. Going to 59" - 60" might be ok for you, but, a cue will not play as well at greater lengths generally, so if you can keep it minimal, all the better.

Coaches don't always have the answer either, trust me on that one.

Take a good look around and ask many other players of a good level.
                      See who's using what and ask why, you might be surprised at what you're told.

An example to look at is Mark Williams, he uses a cue which is barely 57" in length, yet he's 6' 3" at least. I don't remember anyone saying his cue was too short when he was winning everything in sight a few years ago.

Like anything else, it depends on what is right for you.

Happy hunting.

Comment

Trev talking sence as usual!
                        I hold my cue plate down becuase on my old cue the arrows,flower whatever were on the oposite side to normal. I now have a maple so the grain doesn't matter and I still hold the cue plate down habit. I actualy know a coach Stephn Rowlings who holds his cue plate down.

Comment

This is interesting. I completely agree with Trevor in that no cue will ever make you cue straight. However, I do believe that the Gravity Cue, through sound biomechanical principles and direct feedback, will help you to improve your delivery of the cue through the ball - not just making you cue straighter but by helping you to cue more efficiently. I'm sure we'll hear more once the cue is actually launched!
                          MaXimumbreak - Where Everyone's a Winner
                          It's now free to join!!!
                          MaXimumbreak Snooker Store

Comment

hi

i dont think mark williams is at least 6'3'' he is shorter than ryan day and neil robertson and john parrott barefoot i think he is exactely 6'0 or 6'1''.

Comment

trevor white

is trevor white the best cue-maker around, it seems everyone on here always mentions him pretty much before anyone else, i'm just curious to know why.

Comment

Working...
                              X