The Top Ten Cues You've Played With?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,
    My top cues ever in terms of look and playability, would be in no particular order.
    1) 1 piece early JPU, plain ebony and ash, 57" 18, 9.5mm tip. This was my main playing cue for around 15 years.
    2) 1 piece Brown badge Powerglide Conny, white ash shaft, 57" 18, 9.25mm tip. Now fitted with a MW Black spin ferrule, F1 butt joint and all Lac removed with new ultrashine finish. Yes the splicing is a little messy but i like the design and it plays really well, so much feel and really responsive.
    3) 1 piece MW Black Shark, plain ebony and maple shaft. 56" 20, 8mm tip. This is my current english pool cue and is really well balanced it honestly feels more like a 17 -18oz cue not 20. It took a little getting used to initially as i putting far to much side/spin on for a given tip contact point on the cue ball but i really like it now and have no plans to look for another pool cue in the forseeable future.
    4) 1 piece MW Black Legend, plain ebony and ash, 57" 18, 9.25mm tip. Great cue and really nice to play with, im currently trying to decide between this and the above Conny as my main snooker cue but i really like using both! interestingly they both share alot of the same properties playability wise.

Kind regards
    Tom
    Last edited by brookst; 23 June 2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by brookst View Post
      Hi all,
      My top cues ever in terms of look and playability, would be in no particular order.
      1) 1 piece early JPU, plain ebony and ash, 57" 18, 9.5mm tip. This was my main playing cue for around 15 years.
      2) 1 piece Brown badge Powerglide Conny, white ash shaft, 57" 18, 9.25mm tip. Now fitted with a MW Black spin ferrule, F1 butt joint and all Lac removed with new ultrashine finish. Yes the splicing is a little messy but i like the design and it plays really well, so much feel and really responsive.
      3) 1 piece MW Black Shark, plain ebony and maple shaft. 56" 20, 8mm tip. This is my current english pool cue and is really well balanced it honestly feels more like a 17 -18oz cue not 20. It took a little getting used to initially as i putting far to much side/spin on for a given tip contact point on the cue ball but i really like it now and have no plans to look for another pool cue in the forseeable future.
      4) 1 piece MW Black Legend, plain ebony and ash, 57" 18, 9.25mm tip. Great cue and really nice to play with, im currently trying to decide between this and the above Conny as my main snooker cue but i really like using both! interestingly they both share alot of the same properties playability wise.

Kind regards
      Tom
      Well, bless my socks, someone of a like mind. Your Conny is responsive because although they may not have made the best splices in the world, they used good shaft wood! I remember the white ash option. Whether that was air-dried I cannot say but if it feels really good and responsive, you never know. Early JPU being a good un, does that mean JP had a hand in it? Great list.

Comment

Thanks very much, those cues are or were should i say a pleasure to play with. The early JP cue was gorgeous and i believe John did some of the work on it ( according to him when i ordered/bought it) i only stopped using it after it was damaged beyond repair and if that had not happened im certain i would still be using it today. Saying that the old Conny and my recent MW Black Legend are truely great cues and play as well for me as the JPU. That for me was a huge suprise especially the Conny. I would agree the quality of the shaft is what makes it special and so good to play with. I have always liked "old" wood cues and providing you can get one close to your specs, in good condition and not too wippy you have a good chance of ending up with a really nice cue in terms of feel.
        Im going to take the Conny and MW BL for a good few frames tonight as i need to settle on one as my main cue. I will keep you guys posted on which i decide on.
        Regards
        Tom

Comment

Thanks very much, those cues are or were should i say a pleasure to play with. The early JP cue was gorgeous and i believe John did some of the work on it ( according to him when i ordered/bought it) i only stopped using it after it was damaged beyond repair and if that had not happened im certain i would still be using it today. Saying that the old Conny and my recent MW Black Legend are truely great cues and play as well for me as the JPU. That for me was a huge suprise especially the Conny. I would agree the quality of the shaft is what makes it special and so good to play with. I have always liked "old" wood cues and providing you can get one close to your specs, in good condition and not too wippy you have a good chance of ending up with a really nice cue in terms of feel.
          Im going to take the Conny and MW BL for a good few frames tonight as i need to settle on one as my main cue. I will keep you guys posted on which i decide on.
          Regards
          Tom
          That'll be some comparison, between a legendary World Champ cue and great cue from a modern cue maker of some legend.
          Last edited by Master Blaster; 23 June 2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Right guys, as i mentioned yesterday i took the PG Conny and MW BL for a good 5hr session last night. The idea was to decide which of the two cues i prefer overall and want to use long term as my main snooker cue.
            Well it was certainly an interesting evening and as my previous shorter sessions had suggested the two cues have alot playability wise in common. Both being very reactive, comfortable in the hand and reliable in terms of getting a good repeatable outcome from a given shot.
            There was however some subtle differences, the PG cue felt more comfortable around the black spot, with shots along the cushion and with safety play. The MW BL on the other hand felt better on long potting and "power" shots especially with side.... so what have i decided, well i still really like both and im going to use the PG cue alone for the next month then the MW cue the following month and reassess the situation.
            I will keep you all posted
            Tom

Comment

Right guys, as i mentioned yesterday i took the PG Conny and MW BL for a good 5hr session last night. The idea was to decide which of the two cues i prefer overall and want to use long term as my main snooker cue.
              Well it was certainly an interesting evening and as my previous shorter sessions had suggested the two cues have alot playability wise in common. Both being very reactive, comfortable in the hand and reliable in terms of getting a good repeatable outcome from a given shot.
              There was however some subtle differences, the PG cue felt more comfortable around the black spot, with shots along the cushion and with safety play. The MW BL on the other hand felt better on long potting and "power" shots especially with side.... so what have i decided, well i still really like both and im going to use the PG cue alone for the next month then the MW cue the following month and reassess the situation.
              I will keep you all posted
              Tom
              And that concurs with how Hendry used to play the game. Players often adapt to a cue. He wasn't the most powerful but not weak in power either and he was great around the black, obviously. White ash is a bit denser than black so I'm wondering if you find the shaft stiffer than the MW?

Comment

MB, i do indeed find the Conny slightly stiffer than the BL.
                Last night was really enjoyable if im honest and im aiming to get a good bit of table time with both cues over the next few months but i have already decided which ever i chose as my main playing cue i will keep both for the forseeable future. There just too good to play with to get rid of!

Comment

MB, i do indeed find the Conny slightly stiffer than the BL.
                  Last night was really enjoyable if im honest and im aiming to get a good bit of table time with both cues over the next few months but i have already decided which ever i chose as my main playing cue i will keep both for the forseeable future. There just too good to play with to get rid of!
                  Sounds like MW did a tidy job on the conny. I wonder how BS has changed it?
                  Last edited by Master Blaster; 24 June 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

MB, thankfully i used the cue for quite awhile in its stock/standard form and obviously tried the cue again last night with the new Black Spin ferrule and Ultrashine finish. So with the BS slightly less off centre cueing is needed to get a given amount of spin/side. It also makes the cue feel a touch more responsive (it was a very responsive cue anyway however). That i have to say is about it though. Its like its "sharpened up" the natural qualities of the cue thats about the best way i can explain it. Hope that helps. MW has done a great job on it and im glad i got the work done on the cue. No regrets at all.

Comment

MB, thankfully i used the cue for quite awhile in its stock/standard form and obviously tried the cue again last night with the new Black Spin ferrule and Ultrashine finish. So with the BS slightly less off centre cueing is needed to get a given amount of spin/side. It also makes the cue feel a touch more responsive (it was a very responsive cue anyway however). That i have to say is about it though. Its like its "sharpened up" the natural qualities of the cue thats about the best way i can explain it. Hope that helps. MW has done a great job on it and im glad i got the work done on the cue. No regrets at all.
                      Sweet. Nice analysis, succinct. Oooooooooooooh, could I put a new ferrule on my Purist. Christ help me! I couldn't touch the varnish, I really like it again after using oil finished cues for some years. That will have to be another topic though. lol

Comment

hi,

do you sell your dave cue?

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                          Where's your list, can you stick it up with Exquisite on there please?
                          I don't have a list and don't intend to keep one.

I am not a collector and i intend to keep only 2 playing cues and sell the ones that i am not using anymore.

The Exquisite is one of these 2 and its a definite keeper.

Currently using a Will Hunt green plate as a spare cue while waiting for Trevor White to finish building my cue.

During my search for cues, I have owned several, like MW Tiger, Phoenix, Ton Praram, Niche Ultimate (still have this one), Peradon Newbury, etc.

I guess my search for cues is very near its end.

Cheers!
                          Last edited by piper74; 25 June 2015, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks MB, like i said it was a very enjoyable evening. On a side note iv always fancied an early PG Purist. Its pretty obvious from my list i prefer the plain ebony with in general ash shaft design. I would recommend anyone to give the BS ferrule a go either on a MW cue or on a decent other base cue, especially an early PG ; )

Comment

Originally Posted by piper74 View Post
                              I don't have a list and don't intend to keep one.

I am not a collector and i intend to keep only 2 playing cues and sell the ones that i am not using anymore.

The Exquisite is one of these 2 and its a definite keeper.

Currently using a Will Hunt green plate as a spare cue while waiting for Trevor White to finish building my cue.

During my search for cues, I have owned several, like MW Tiger, Phoenix, Ton Praram, Niche Ultimate (still have this one), Peradon Newbury, etc.

I guess my search for cues is very near its end.

Cheers!
                              You've gone through a fair few cues recently there bud. What do you think you'll settle on as your playing cue, will you then sell the rest except a spare?

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                                You've gone through a fair few cues recently there bud. What do you think you'll settle on as your playing cue, will you then sell the rest except a spare?
                                Yes, will sell off everything (if i can) and only keep 2 cues.

Most of my cues are sold anyway.

Pretty sure the Trevor will suit me when it is done as i tried several before ordering.

Comment

Working...
                                X