Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on buying a custom cue

Hi there.

I've played UK 8 ball since a very young age and have gotten back into it recently. I'm currently using a two-piece cue I bought at a car boot sale for £2 a couple of years ago, it's a nasty mass produced Riley's one I believe. I've removed the lacquer, sanded to a smooth level, oiled, buffed, cared for, learnt to put a good tip on and I find it fairly nice to play with. I know I could keep on improving using the one I have but it's very unattractive and I love the idea of a good-looking one-piece with a smaller tip.

I appreciate a nice cue like I'm sure many of you do on this forum so I've decided to create a custom one for myself.

My budget is approximately £250 and I've created the cue I'd like on the Peradon cue wizard. I know it won't be the best quality cue I can buy for the money but it's the fact that it's built to my specification and in a design that I like; one-piece, 57", ash shaft, hand spliced ebony, single kingwood splice (or other pretty dark brown wood), 8.5mm tip and a weight of 17.5oz.

I have seen similarly designed cues on the internet but they have all been too much money for me. My question to you guys is: will I be able to buy a higher quality cue of the same specifications at my budget?

Thanks for any help

me personally and I've played & owned many cues in the last 25yrs but must say for the money these are the best money can buy http://www.greenbaize.com/category/cues/cues-gbl/ excellent quality cues

Comment

Try Andy Travis. There is a thread of his work in the Cue section, very good work and good value for money.

Comment

Thanks. I'll possibly try and contact him later on down the line, I wouldn't want to mess the man about I'm sure he has a lot of people enquiring about all sorts.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
          Hi there.

it's built to my specification and in a design that I like; one-piece, 57", ash shaft, hand spliced ebony, single kingwood splice (or other pretty dark brown wood), 8.5mm tip and a weight of 17.5oz.
          I noticed you spec'd one piece. Do you play in a pub league? a couple of the tables in the league i play in, you'd never get to use your cue. For this reason i went for a 3/4 with a mini butt that'll attach to the shaft and the butt. Just wanted to put it out there in case it's something you hadn't thought of (of course you could be lucky and only play in places with enough room to use a full length cue all the time).

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
          Try Andy Travis. There is a thread of his work in the Cue section, very good work and good value for money.
          Yeah i can't rate Andy Travis highly enough, great bloke to deal with and his work is fantastic, he also does a hidden 3/4 joint if you end up going that route.

Here's a pic of the cue he made me earlier this year.

Andi Mack

Comment

Id suggest Mastercraft cues

Comment

I've got a beautiful cue that suits your spec. MAC CUES.
              Email me at richy1471@hotmail.com.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

I'll second that greenbaize is outstanding the service they provide and the cues are second to none in my opinion !

Comment

Working...
                X