Where have all the cue makers gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the cue makers gone?

Seems to be very few guys on here at the moment showing us their latest efforts (not a dig by any means as I know how busy people are).

I love seeing how guys are getting on and what they've done with their latest piece of wood or problems they may be having and how they are getting over them to produce the next wonder cue.

All the threads I used to follow seem to have dried up (shame), or to put it another way, those guys are flying now so they're pretty much where they wanted to get to.

Hopefully there are some more guys coming through as a nice distraction when evening tv is on!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Well a few of the cuemakers like Jason Owen, Raymond Cohen disappeared after the saga about importing Thai shafts then adding splices and then badging them as their own cue. With the amount they are producing for agents etc. and individual orders in the time frame and as a one man band I wouldn't be surprised that they were doing that. Anyway, they went and Mike Wooldridge also got fed up so you won't find any more posts from them

Comment

Mike Wooldridge is still on here, just does not post that often

good OP though, where are the following that were making cues - hobbyists but would show there efforts:
      Flame
      Jami (Finland?)
      Ebbrosnooker
      Exile (Karl Craik)
      mopster (London?)
      EnterTheDragon (Finland?)

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        Mike Wooldridge is still on here, just does not post that often

good OP though, where are the following that were making cues - hobbyists but would show there efforts:
        Flame
        Jami (Finland?)
        Ebbrosnooker
        Exile (Karl Craik)
        mopster (London?)
        EnterTheDragon (Finland?)

Mike lives a couple of miles from me and was good enough to hand deliver some of his cue oil one night. Had a great chat with him and he explained that he had been bitten by a few not so nice emails over the years so just gets on with his business.

Shame for me as I'd loved to have seen how he goes about cue making as it's certainly interesting to me and him being so local. I also emailed Keith Auld a couple of times as I understood he would teach people if required.

He was kind enough to offer to show me when I was ready but then never replied after that so I can only guess that he also got a little cheesed off with some of the posts (so I gather).

Obviously there must have been a few spats on here prior to my membership as I managed to contact Jason Owen and he too said there wouldn't be a lot of help due to issues so I guess the South is a closed shop!

Have had some great chats a while back with Jim Evans and was introduced to Andy Hunter through a billiards contact of mine (who has a fantastic billiard books collection - biggest in the world?).

Both guys were superb and really grateful they could spare some time for me.

After a few personal setbacks it would be nice to have a go at a cue myself!

Either way, really enjoy the forum.

Comment

too much flack,loads passing judgment will little knowledge

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
            too much flack,loads passing judgment will little knowledge
            Yeah can totally understand that, shame though as reading past threads there seems to have been a lot of really good discussions from various cue makers at all stages of experience.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
              Yeah can totally understand that, shame though as reading past threads there seems to have been a lot of really good discussions from various cue makers at all stages of experience.
              pm them and you can discuss things in private, they might open up a bit

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                pm them and you can discuss things in private, they might open up a bit
                Yeah good idea. Nearly got enough tools to have a go and a couple of people who have kindly said to give them a call so may try that as well; nice to see how different people do things.

Was lucky enough to meet a nice guy who had over 800 billiard and snooker books (mainly billiards due to age of books) and in all that knowledge there was virtually '0' information on cue making so it's been this way for a long time.

Comment

How about maybe visiting them if anyone is near you ... do a bit of voluntary "work experience" helping them out etc.
                  Just an idea mate

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                    How about maybe visiting them if anyone is near you ... do a bit of voluntary "work experience" helping them out etc.
                    Just an idea mate
                    Yeah, thought of that and mentioned it to Mike but to be fair I think he's been burnt which is fair enough, he seemed like he had been through the mill and was good enough to explain that he had helped a lot of people and it hadn't gone well so I wasn't going to push it (he had just personally driven my cue oil to my house!), shame though.

As regards Keith Auld, after the offer I kept emailing without response so I guess he is also in the same position so that's fair enough, they don't know me (I am a lovely fella though.....).

Jim Evans and Andy Hunter have said I can call them when I get going so that's really good of them.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                      Yeah good idea. Nearly got enough tools to have a go and a couple of people who have kindly said to give them a call so may try that as well; nice to see how different people do things.

Was lucky enough to meet a nice guy who had over 800 billiard and snooker books (mainly billiards due to age of books) and in all that knowledge there was virtually '0' information on cue making so it's been this way for a long time.
                      I think it's all locked in Andy Hunter's head. .

Comment

Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                        I think it's all locked in Andy Hunter's head. .
                        Great guy to talk to and really enthusiastic, what a wealth of knowledge on many aspects of snooker and billiards.

I also enjoyed talking to Earnie Sanders (Billiard Books), what a collection he has and has really been around for many years. Talking to him about his days when he met Joe Davis for a coffee etc and showing me some of his collection was a great day, so many memories across many years.

Comment

Just been a crap year,lol,ile be back,��

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
                            Just been a crap year,lol,ile be back,��
                            Hi Jim

Sorry to hear that mate, you've been great to me and I know you said to give you a call when I get into gear so will do. Hope things get better soon.

Always a bit skeptical when putting someones name on forums in case the words read wrong but you've been a star mate so thanks again for that.

Comment

I know of a couple of people who have done the voluntary thing and its been good, all parties benefited.... at least you tried.
                              Maybe in the future it might come around.

Good luck with your stuff though

Comment

Working...
                              X