No announcement yet.

A dull sound when hitting the cue ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good choice with the blue diamond plus, give the ADR tips ago at some point i really like them and find the medium good for snooker, soft for english pool.

I shared your concerns for the black spin system. I had played with a early 1 piece JPU for over 15 yrs and it was my only playing cue for snooker. I was really happy with it specs, 57" 18 oz 9.5 30mm butt and std brass ferrule. Unfortunatley that cue was damaged beyond repair and after alot of research and trying lots of cues from family, friends and ppl at the club i decided on a MW Black Legend specs 57" 18oz 9.25 30mm butt 1 piece. So a very similar cue with a tiny bit smaller tip. The result was i loved the new cue and if im honest i prefer it to my old JP cue which i thought was spot on playability wise. The black spin system on a plain ebony cue looks really nice actually and not American pool cue like at all.

In terms of how its plays, similar in many ways to the JP cue, a touch of flex which i like and is something i asked Mike for, i dont like very stiff cues, i think after a point you loose feel. It took me afew weeks to get used to the positional play with the MW cue because there is essentially no UNINTENTIONAL side but alot more intentional side and spin. I was screwing back at least a 3rd more than i ever could with the JP cue. Some of this may be tip size and some because its a different cue and all play differently but it seems more than that and i can only put that down to the ferrule and tip.

I have to say the workmanship and finishing is all so better than the JPU in all respects, again im saying this from going from a baseline of loving my old JP cue. Iv had my MW for a good while now and how i feel has not changed i really think people should consider giving the black spin system ago i have been convinced.

On a side note my father plays with an early Powerglide ash 1 piece Conny. It need a MOT, butt joint etc so i sent it to MW and he removed the lac over the whole cue, added a modified version of his F1 joint in the butt (the butt was a touch slim for his std one) added a black spin ferrule and his ultrashine finish to the whole cue. All i can say is the finish and workman ship was excellent, the cue looks stunning and no the black spin doesnt look odd at all and IMO actuallt on the cue looks quite classy. Playability wise we have both had a good go with the cue now over afew months and have seen exactly the same benefits as i noticed over my JP cue. So it reinforced the fact some of the benefits must be down to the black spin system.

I hope that helps i have tried to be as open and honest as i can with what i think, i should add that all the work Mike did to my fathers cue took about a week and i got my BL cue after i think 2 to 3 weeks which again was very impressive.

Regards
    Tom

Comment

Tom,

Thank you so much for that lengthy reply. I have heard so many good things about MW cues that I have been very close to ordering one several times. I have been waiting for his VCM to be back online so I can go through some designs. With regards to the black spin ferrule I'm sure it's a well developed system and again I've heard nothing but good reviews. I still prefer the look of the old style brass ferrule and would find it hard to change but I would certainly like to try the black spin system out. That won't be possible unless I can talk someone in to giving me a shot of theirs.
      My Parris will be back from Mike sometime early next week and I'm really looking forward to getting it back. I have played with that cue for many years but thought it time to get a new one. Trouble I'm having is choosing the right cue maker. There have been so many discussions lately about cheap imported shafts I just don't know who to trust. I can only base my decisions on the reviews and MW is coming out on top. I haven't read a single bad review about his cues.

Regards

Comment

Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
        Tom,

Thank you so much for that lengthy reply. I have heard so many good things about MW cues that I have been very close to ordering one several times. I have been waiting for his VCM to be back online so I can go through some designs. With regards to the black spin ferrule I'm sure it's a well developed system and again I've heard nothing but good reviews. I still prefer the look of the old style brass ferrule and would find it hard to change but I would certainly like to try the black spin system out. That won't be possible unless I can talk someone in to giving me a shot of theirs.
        My Parris will be back from Mike sometime early next week and I'm really looking forward to getting it back. I have played with that cue for many years but thought it time to get a new one. Trouble I'm having is choosing the right cue maker. There have been so many discussions lately about cheap imported shafts I just don't know who to trust. I can only base my decisions on the reviews and MW is coming out on top. I haven't read a single bad review about his cues.

Regards
        Ignoring everything that gets spouted about different cue makers, the decision comes down to how long you are prepared to wait for the cue & how much you want to spend.

I'm pretty sure trevor isn't taking new orders at the mo to try and help him reduce his waiting times. JP will be a min of a 3 year wait if you want a one piece and i think it's over a year for a 3/4, JP will tell you roughly the minimum wait time when you get a quote. A cue from Mike will take anything between 5 days and a few months, but you'll get told the waiting time when you contact him for a quote. RC isn't taking orders for the UK market anymore. That pretty much covers the big 4.

There are other less well known makers around, several of which frequent the forum.

My most recent cue was made by Andy Travis and i can't rate the cue or his workmanship highly enough.

So it basically comes down to how much you want to spend and how long you are prepared to wait.
        Andi Mack

Comment

I will have a look at some Andy Travis cues and see what they are like. Again it's difficult to know unless I try it out first but based on reviews he is certainly worth a look. Thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
            I will have a look at some Andy Travis cues and see what they are like. Again it's difficult to know unless I try it out first but based on reviews he is certainly worth a look. Thanks
            NP, if you are ever in east lancashire, i'd be happy to meet up for a game and let you try out my cue.
            Andi Mack

Comment

Working...
            X