Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which place to go and try cues

Hi,
    My parents are giving me an early christmas present and I am looking for the best place to try out cues. I have three choices:

B and W Billiards: This is the closest to me (only 40 minutes drive) and they seem friendly. Also, I think they have a good range in stock.

John Parris: This is a 3 hour drive each way but I would love a Parris if it suited me well. I spoke to him about a month or so ago and he said he had one smaller cue in stock, 56", and also lots in 57", which might turn out to be a better size for me. He sounded nice on the phone.

Greenbaize: I've heard great things about this place, they don't have any 56" cues in stock but Stewart said that he could shorten a 57" cue if necessary. He was very helpful on the phone.

Where do you think i should go, in a way I'd like to go to John Parris, as I'd love one of his cues if it suited me, but I think a lot of people might say Greenbaize. Also, B and W Billiards is a short drive. Thanks for any advice.

Greenbaize as large stock and full size tables to try out on , also get a 57" cue......easier to re-sell . But as it's a present you probably would not sell it .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Thanks, I'm looking for a cue to last a long time, so I'm looking for whatever suits me. I don't know whether a smaller 56" cue would be better or not. I would like a Parris cue, but logically maybe going to Greenbaize would be a better bet.

Comment

Odds are that a cue from GBL will be a better made product than any Parris and cost less. You will also have more choice and two full sized tables to try them out on for as long as you like.

Comment

It sounds strange but in a way I'd prefer a John Parris as I'm not sure about the idea of a Thai cue. That's probably due to my ignorance but that's how I feel. I prefer the idea of having a John Parris cue than say a maximus cue. Having said that the GBL cues do look nice. Also I'm a Judd Trump fan and that's where he got his cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
            It sounds strange but in a way I'd prefer a John Parris as I'm not sure about the idea of a Thai cue. That's probably due to my ignorance but that's how I feel. I prefer the idea of having a John Parris cue than say a maximus cue. Having said that the GBL cues do look nice. Also I'm a Judd Trump fan and that's where he got his cue.
            The customer is never wrong of course, but it sounds like the actual playing characteristics are not your number 1 priority here.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but I'd not bother travelling and trying out, as you may find, if you do a blind test ( ok, covering the badge only ),

you might not like the cue which feels best. . Save traveling and just buy online, the cue you'd like to own. .

Comment

Doesn't Judd trump use a parris? Nothing wrong with Thai cues imo, don't knock it till you tried it

Comment

Which place to go and try cues

Yes he uses a parris special he picked up in the shop

Comment

I would like a cue that plays well and that suits me, but also I guess I am swayed by John Parris. Playing characteristics are very important to me too.

Anyway, I've been to B and W billiards. They straightened my old cue and have put a new tip on it. I think I'll get a new cue from either Greenbaize or John Parris, so that at least narrows it down to 2 places.

Comment

Hi James,

The 3 hour drive you will take to visit Parris will be worth it. I wouldn't listen to people who say that Parris cues are bad. It's a personal preference and some people on here hate JP.
                    You talk about playability but would you really know if it's the cue or you playing bad? How do we know what a cue is supposed to sound like when hitting a ball? Do we really know if the tip we are using is any good?
                    If I was you I would go and see John before you buy a cue. I'm not saying buy one, but definitely go before you do.

Comment

Chances are if you go to Parris you'll be buying a part thai made cue anyway - so I've heard - and pay a cockney premium for it too.

Go to Green Baize or Craftsman in Leeds and forget the badge on the cue and concentrate what feels good.

Plonkers like Luclex (aka 2v1977 / Master Blaster) spout on about how good Parris cues are, you'll find most of the forum regulars would recommend you shop around and don't get blinded by the hype of Parris.
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

I went to greenbaize for a look while on a wee holiday . I ended up playing with a bunch of cues and fell in love with a cue that felt great instantly .

I had a cue I was happy with before I got there but over that weekend I must of tried at least 40 cues between greenbaize and craftsman . None of them felt as good as my (at that time) current playing cue . But that one cue at greenbaize felt like a magic wand ....I had to buy it . Il never buy a cue blind again .

Don't think il be cue shopping for a very long time

Comment

No need for the insult Bolton. I in fact said to give Parris a try before buying. That's all. I was only giving my opinion. I have told ferret about a week ago that my brother is 2v1977 and I used his photo bucket account to post some pictures. I am definitely not master blaster.

Anyway I hope the guy has some luck finding his new cue.

Comment

I've currently got a Parris (3/4), a Grand Emperor, a Grand, a Woods, six Butters, and that's just the one pieces (apart from the Parris). They are all nice cues...there are differences (the biggest being in weight and butt diameter), but all have pro's and cons, and all are playable. I paid a lot of money for the Parris, years ago....I though it was my dream cue. I would now put pretty much all of the one-pieces ahead of it (not least because they are stiffer, with bigger tips). I think the tip you put on them contributes at least as much as the cue itself.

Go play with a load of nice one pieces. Don't worry about what they are....for small intangible reasons that you don't entirely understand (diameter, weight, balance, way the wood responds) you will find some that marginally seem to feel better than the others, and the balls seem to end up marginally more securely in the pocket, while the white behaves how you hope it might. Buy one of these, get really used to it with practice, and avoid buyers remorse*.

* This is where we persuade oursleves that we really need the expensive, shiny, premium name cue, that we've always dreamed of. ebay is full of the damn things.

P.S. Of this list I'd put my Parris Ambassador, hand crafted with red glus to my dream specifications, stone cold last out of these cues. The £20 woods that I bought second hand and re-finished I'd put in the top three. The only thing that stops me from playing with it is the absolutely beautiful premium badged Butters with splices to my taste (circa £160), and another unbadged butters, that I rather adore (circa £70).

There isn't a good or bad cue, just one that suits you. You could buy a JP ultimate, wait three years, and you never really click with it. I liked the idea of a good range of value cues....and taking my time to choose one.....I wouldn't again pay much more than a hundred quid for a cue without having a good reason for thinking it might be exactly what I want, or without having a good few hours on the table with it.
                            Last edited by tetricky; 4 November 2015, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Parris does make great some cues - I have been there a few times and its friendly service - but you cant try them out properly in his shop and I am surprised after all these years of him selling cues it is still like that - I mean all the money he has made and he cant get bigger premises with a big table or two in?

So where to go shop for a cue?

I have never been yet but intend to - I have to say in my opinion this green baize shop looks by far and away like the best set up for a cue seller in the UK and looks perfect set up wise. I don't know the guy at all - I have never spoken to him - and have never been there but I have bought a load of other cues before elsewhere - so that is my un-bias opinion.

I'd go there - might bump into me at Christmas.
                              Last edited by Byrom; 4 November 2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X