Is Robert Osborne one of the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Robert Osborne one of the best?

I see a lot of talk about cue makers and the usual names come up, JP, MW, TW, RC and so on. Why doesn't Robert Osborne get a mention? I always understood his cues to be of top quality, not that I have ever owned one. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Cheers

Perhaps its a myth that they're any good or, should I more accurately say, any better than any of his contemporaries.

Just because numpties in Singapore and Hong Kong shell out 2 grand for them doesn't mean they equate their price.
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Correction..Singaporeans and Hongkie dont' shell out 2 grand for them......only China does

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
        Perhaps its a myth that they're any good or, should I more accurately say, any better than any of his contemporaries.

Just because numpties in Singapore and Hong Kong shell out 2 grand for them doesn't mean they equate their price.
        Coming from Singapore, i'm rather surprise at that comment

Comment

good cuemaker and a real businessman

Comment

Originally Posted by hendrykitty View Post
            good cuemaker and a real businessman
            Long time no see old friend.

Comment

As far as craftsmanship and attention to detail then yes one of the best if not the best cue maker around.

Comment

Had a few cues from Robert and always decent cues to play with . Also like the finish of his cues .
                Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I'd say the best defo

Comment

Makes a good cue but he is a bit cranky.
                    Emailed him and he wont make cue to certain specs.
                    Went to his workshop and its as clean as a whistle, had 3 cues that you could buy and would not entertain making me one even when I offered to put a grand down and said he could choose design.
                    He said he can make cues to any spec, send them to asia and no comeback at all.
                    Shame really, but then he is a gooner!!

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                      Makes a good cue but he is a bit cranky.
                      Emailed him and he wont make cue to certain specs.
                      Went to his workshop and its as clean as a whistle, had 3 cues that you could buy and would not entertain making me one even when I offered to put a grand down and said he could choose design.
                      He said he can make cues to any spec, send them to asia and no comeback at all.
                      Shame really, but then he is a gooner!!
                      he must have his reasons for not making cues to certain specs?

Comment

He just said he can make anything, ship it no problems. Also no customers calling asking for changes to be made whilst he is making the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                          He just said he can make anything, ship it no problems. Also no customers calling asking for changes to be made whilst he is making the cue.
                          this is sensible, i asked for changes to be made once while a custom order was being made and it screwed up my cue

Comment

I have a Robert Osborne black plate cue from just before which I might be persuaded to let go. It is awesome masterpiece of cue ! I have had 2 ultimate Parris cues before that made by John himself and they don’t really come close. I might be tempted into selling it soon but don’t now what platform to use…depends on what interest or offers I might get.
                            1Glover Cue N. American Ash full shaft 18.6oz/58/9.55mm/30.2mm/17.7 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, African Blackwood round butt with Snakewood and Tulip front splice
                            2Custom Triple crown N. American Ash full shaft 18.7oz/58/9.7mm/30.2mm/17 b.p., Century Ti-F, TripleCrown or ADR147 Medium tips, Plain jet black African ebony round butt

Comment

Lot of skill involved in top splicing thisa cues ain't there?

Comment

Working...
                              X