Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alterations advice

Just want to pick your brains/get your expert opinions on something,

I have a cue in a cupboard, it's not doing much, never really used it but I don't want to sell it, it's about 10mm tip but I'm thinking about a retaper down to 8.5mm and maybe taking an inch off the end.
    It's a lovely cue but it does feel a little 'dead' when I strike the ball, would getting it altered improve the feel of the cue?
    I'm well aware that the cue will feel totally different but as I haven't used it too many times that's not an issue. What do you reckon? Worth a punt?

Originally Posted by Booters View Post
    Just want to pick your brains/get your expert opinions on something,

I have a cue in a cupboard, it's not doing much, never really used it but I don't want to sell it, it's about 10mm tip but I'm thinking about a retaper down to 8.5mm and maybe taking an inch off the end.
    It's a lovely cue but it does feel a little 'dead' when I strike the ball, would getting it altered improve the feel of the cue?
    I'm well aware that the cue will feel totally different but as I haven't used it too many times that's not an issue. What do you reckon? Worth a punt?
    what sort of cue is it?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

It's a JP, Ash, ebony butt

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
      what sort of cue is it?

Comment

It's a JP, Ash, ebony butt
        you would slash the value by doing what you are suggesting. also I am not sure you would be happy with the results.

Comment

you would slash the value by doing what you are suggesting. also I am not sure you would be happy with the results.

Just looking at it now, ferrules seen better days and it looks like there's glue around where your bridge would go, I got it off a mate doing a house clearance, I didn't pay a lot for it and I don't think I would get much for it in its current state anyway

Comment

Just looking at it now, ferrules seen better days and it looks like there's glue around where your bridge would go, I got it off a mate doing a house clearance, I didn't pay a lot for it and I don't think I would get much for it in its current state anyway
            in that case why not get it refinished but 8.5mm is pool table only.

Comment

I use 8.5 for both snooker and pool. It's not doing anything so I might aswell at least make it useable

Comment

I use 8.5 for both snooker and pool. It's not doing anything so I might aswell at least make it useable
                with that logic why not! how can you play snooker with an 8.5mm tip - unwanted side must be dire!

Comment

with that logic why not! how can you play snooker with an 8.5mm tip - unwanted side must be dire!
                  I don't find it any problems at all, I think I would be fine with a larger tip but I just like to use the same cue all the time, I think I read that Matthew Stevens uses 8.5? Could be rubbish

Comment

What sort of Parris cue is it? What does the badge say?

Comment

I don't find it any problems at all, I think I would be fine with a larger tip but I just like to use the same cue all the time, I think I read that Matthew Stevens uses 8.5? Could be rubbish
                      i don't think so _ could check.

Comment

It's a classic
                        Last edited by Booters; 11 December 2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

think Shaun Murphy plays with an 8.75mm tip
                          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

If it's a Parris and standard 10mm tip, why not just sell it as is or just do a gentle refurbish and sell it rather than take a chance with all that work that may not pay off.

If you sold it you could use the money to try a range of cues that have been made to the spec you want (or close).....and you wouldn't have to do any tapering etc?
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Murphy plays with an 8.75mm tip, but then he does have a brilliant cue action

Comment

Working...
                              X