Advice when trying cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice when trying cues

Hi, I'm going to Parris cues tomorrow, in order to try some cues. What should be I looking for when trying the cues? Obviously, it's subjective, but when using the cue on the table how can I best assess the quality of each cue? I'd like a responsive cue that is not too whippy. Apparently he has a number of 57" cues in stock, so I should be able to pick out a nice one that suits me, but I want to be sure I end up with the right cue. Thanks for any advice.

Just whatever feels OK to you. None of them are going to be rubbish anyway. Just play some shots with each, see which one feels nice for you.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

and do'nt forget to upload few photo's of ur new cue please .
      if u have time of crs.

Comment

I went yesterday and bought an elite cue. It plays really well. it's 57", 18.5oz and a 9.5mm tip. The service that I received was excellent. I was in for longer than 2 hours. I thought I might get a shorter cue, 55" or 56" as I'm short but I ended up with a 57" cue. It has an ebony butt and tulip wood splices, I really like the tulip wood.

Comment

congrates on your new purchase
          pictures please
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Last edited by jamesg19851; 25 December 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

nice cue, enjoy !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
                    Hi James,
                    That's a beautiful cue and a few nice chevrons as well. It's the exact same cue as I had made 21 years ago and I used it up until UPS broke it a few weeks ago.
                    I hope you enjoy the cue. JP certainly makes a good cue.

All the best and let us know how you get on with it.

Comment

I'm thinking of having it shortened by one inch as I was recommended a shorter cue by John. He said I could send the cue back and have it shortened. Would this change the balance point by much? I guess this would be compensated by the fact that it would fit me better and I wouldn't have so much of the butt end hanging out most shots.
                      Last edited by jamesg19851; 28 December 2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking of having it shortened by one inch as I was recommended a shorter cue by John. He said I could send the cue back and have it shortened. Would this change the balance point by much? I guess this would be compensated by the fact that it would fit me better and I wouldn't have so much of the butt end hanging out most shots.
                        Hi James,

I am no cue guru or a snooker coach but my opinion is this. far too many people on here talk about balance points like its the be all and end all of the cue. No respectable cue maker of any note would make a cue with a bad balance point. I have seen threads on here where people have shown pictures of their new cue and the first thing someone asks is 'what's the balance point'. To the average or below average club player which is 99% of the people on this site the balance point of any new cue is not going to affect their game. Why worry about it. I don't know what sort of player you are but if your not a pro level player on the brink of greatness and your just your typical club player who knocks in a few breaks here and there an inch off your cue won't make that much difference.

Comment

Originally Posted by LucLex3119 View Post
                          Hi James,

I am no cue guru or a snooker coach but my opinion is this. far too many people on here talk about balance points like its the be all and end all of the cue. No respectable cue maker of any note would make a cue with a bad balance point. I have seen threads on here where people have shown pictures of their new cue and the first thing someone asks is 'what's the balance point'. To the average or below average club player which is 99% of the people on this site the balance point of any new cue is not going to affect their game. Why worry about it. I don't know what sort of player you are but if your not a pro level player on the brink of greatness and your just your typical club player who knocks in a few breaks here and there an inch off your cue won't make that much difference.
                          Disagree with this statement entirely - if I was you James I'd just pratice holding the cue further up. Don't be switching or altering something which works in general you'll most likely end up regretting it.

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                            Disagree with this statement entirely - if I was you James I'd just pratice holding the cue further up. Don't be switching or altering something which works in general you'll most likely end up regretting it.
                            Please tell us all why you disagree!

Comment

thanks for the photo's.
                              Nice looking cue.
                              I hope he plays as good as he looks.

Comment

Working...
                              X