Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taper question

Hi all .

I've got a cue here that is snapped 10 inches or so down from tip .

It's a not a cheapo cue but also not expensive enough to pay to send it out to a cue doctor either . I would like to re-taper and put a ferrule on so my nephew can use it when he visits as he is only a youngster and would love the idea of having his own wee cue .

So my question is . Should I re taper it all the way down to just above the splices or should I only take it down so far ?

Thanks

without seeing it i would retaper the whole cue and have an 11mm ferrle

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      without seeing it i would retaper the whole cue and have an 11mm ferrle
      Thanks

The whole cue as in down to splices or do you mean you would continue down onto the butt aswell ?

Comment

it depends, but without haveing it in my hands id like to have it 27mm - 11mm, so a straightish taper to the first 20" then fine plane it down to the tip. any pics to hand?

Comment

I haven't took any pictures , but I could get some up .

I spoke to a mate who has an old rack cue that is broken near the end , so at least I have a cue to try on before I do my own one .

11mm sounds good to me because he isn't a player and the bigger tip will help .

Comment

let us know how you get on, some before and after pics

Comment

Will do J

Il be doing it between Xmas and new year .

Comment

A mate gave me an old old rack cue that was broken about 3/4 the way up so I decided to have a go at that first to see how I got on .

I decided to take it down to a wee cue for my 3yr old as a practice and something he'd like

Il pits up the before and after pics tomorrow .

It mostly done except I need to fill the grain and finish it

Comment

Thats cool, the 3yr old getting his first custom cue !!! .......... Awesome, good luck to the little chap

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                    Thats cool, the 3yr old getting his first custom cue !!! .......... Awesome, good luck to the little chap

Ha yeah I suppose it is . Was Just a wee case of tarting it up really . I could have spent longer on smoothing it off before oiling .
                    Was still a fun project and the wee man loves his new cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                      Ha yeah I suppose it is . Was Just a wee case of tarting it up really . I could have spent longer on smoothing it off before oiling .
                      Was still a fun project and the wee man loves his new cue
                      Get a pic of you both with your cues together

Comment

Before and after photos

Crack

Crack fixed

Comment

Just noticed that the butt looks abnormally long in that last photo but it real life it's actually looks much shorter because I cut the butt right at the weight .

Comment

You know what, that looks very good, nice arrow alignment too

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                              You know what, that looks very good, nice arrow alignment too
                              Cheers mate ....yeah it's a nice shaft on it for a rack cue . After I darkened the grain it looked like a whole new cue

Comment

Working...
                              X