8 ball cue wanted, got one for sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 ball cue wanted, got one for sale?

I have been thinking of altering a snooker cue that I have to pool specs. But I am undecided, I may be interested in just buying a new cue and covering the cost by selling the snooker cue. All depends on what is on offer

Specs I would like are

Ash 1 piece
    57.5"
    8mm tip

Something close to this would be lovely!
    If you have anything let me know

I tapered one down from over 10mm to 8.9mm, lifted a splice and added some weight, an ounce I think. So it's 18oz now, and more of a pool size tip and a slimmer taper. Worst thing I ever did to a cue, not the reweight, the taper. Doesn't play as nicely though it does generate more spin than before and is more balanced. Pleasure wise, not the same cue. I got the cue for free but I wish I'd given it to someone who would have used it for what it was built for, snooker.

Decent 8-ball pool cues can be had for around £80 and I wish I'd gone that route instead. Still, the converted cue does play well and I understand it better now. Have a look on John Parrot Cue Sports.

Comment

I tapered one down from over 10mm to 8.9mm, lifted a splice and added some weight, an ounce I think. Got the cue for free so it cost me nowt. So it's 18oz now, and more of a pool size tip and a slimmer taper. Worst thing I ever did to a cue, not the reweight, the taper. Doesn't play as nicely though it does generate more spin than before and is more balanced. Pleasure wise, not the same cue. I wish I'd given it to someone who would have used it for what it was built for, snooker.

Decent 8-ball pool cues can be had for around £80 and I wish I'd gone that route instead. Still, the converted cue does play well and I understand it better now and can adapt to it from my snooker cue quickly. Have a look on John Parrot Cue Sports.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
        I tapered one down from over 10mm to 8.9mm, lifted a splice and added some weight, an ounce I think. Got the cue for free so it cost me nowt. So it's 18oz now, and more of a pool size tip and a slimmer taper. Worst thing I ever did to a cue, not the reweight, the taper. Doesn't play as nicely though it does generate more spin than before and is more balanced. Pleasure wise, not the same cue. I wish I'd given it to someone who would have used it for what it was built for, snooker.

Decent 8-ball pool cues can be had for around £80 and I wish I'd gone that route instead. Still, the converted cue does play well and I understand it better now and can adapt to it from my snooker cue quickly. Have a look on John Parrot Cue Sports.
        I do have a pool cue aswell, it is a little short but I don't really want to lengthen it, the snooker cue I do not use, I play snooker with the pool cue, the cue feeling different isn't an issue because I haven't ever really used it, I don't want a cheap cue from an online store, I want a cue from a good cue maker that I would use for the rest of my life

Comment

I have an 8.5 Paris ambassador with a whippy shaft. It really can generate a lot of spin. I actually now prefer my snooker cue for pool. I'm trying to work myself up to sell the Paris but it's an old red glue one that I have an emotional attachment to. Probably never going to play it again though.

I don't play pool well enough to worry about really creative shots.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
            I have an 8.5 Paris ambassador with a whippy shaft. It really can generate a lot of spin. I actually now prefer my snooker cue for pool. I'm trying to work myself up to sell the Paris but it's an old red glue one that I have an emotional attachment to. Probably never going to play it again though.

I don't play pool well enough to worry about really creative shots.
            I'm in a similar boat, the cue I might alter is also a parris, people have said to me about resale value etc, but I too am quite attached to it despite never really playing with it, I put it up for sale once and I was so glad it didn't sell!

Comment

What size is the tip on your snooker cue. There is no problem playing 8 ball with anything up to 9.5 mm. Granted a smaller tip creates more spin but its rarely needed if you can track a ball properly!!. It can be very difficult to consistently judge the amount of spin generated with the smaller tips and i believe there not worth the hassle. Its better to be able the judge the spin applied for 99% of shots and be lacking for the 1% that need that extra spin.

Comment

Originally Posted by sfmcar View Post
                What size is the tip on your snooker cue. There is no problem playing 8 ball with anything up to 9.5 mm. Granted a smaller tip creates more spin but its rarely needed if you can track a ball properly!!. It can be very difficult to consistently judge the amount of spin generated with the smaller tips and i believe there not worth the hassle. Its better to be able the judge the spin applied for 99% of shots and be lacking for the 1% that need that extra spin.
                I think it's around 9.5 might be more, anything that size just feels like a broom handle, using a smaller tip for me helps with accuracy, not so much for the spin, that's not a problem, I like to use the tip like the sight on a gun, picking out a specific spot on the object ball where I want the White to strike, whereas with a larger tip I feel like i am just aiming for a general area which I do not like

Comment

Originally Posted by sfmcar View Post
                  There are a couple of good players who use 9+ but I think in general it can limit the game to your average good player. I personally use 8.75mm and feel this offers the best compromise between potting and control.

Comment

message renzie on here - renzie67 i think his id is - he will have something.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                      There are a couple of good players who use 9+ but I think in general it can limit the game to your average good player. I personally use 8.75mm and feel this offers the best compromise between potting and control.
                      A couple?? There a lots of good players using tips above 9mm just as there is lots of poor players using below 9 who would be better off with a larger tip

Comment

Lol my point was it's less common. I'm only basing on what I know which is from playing with people from my club and from what I've read and watched via the various tournaments.

Comment

Originally Posted by aucott80 View Post
                          Lol my point was it's less common. I'm only basing on what I know which is from playing with people from my club and from what I've read and watched via the various tournaments.
                          The vast majority of people I see at clubs do just use snooker cues, if it works for them, great, but for me it's no good, I have heard of a 6.5mm tip, now that is taking the Michael a little bit

Comment

Yep extreme lol I've used from 7.5 - 9.25mm. It took me a long time to realise 8mm was personally too small and my game improved significantly.

Comment

I have quite a few 8mm 8.5mm cues for sale

Comment

Working...
                              X