X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunt & O'Byrne Black Plate Cue

Hi All

Newbie member here!

In the early 80s when I was still playing snooker and pool I had a cue hand made by Hunt & O'Byrne in their workshop near London Bridge.
    It is a one piece ash cue with a 9mm tip and macassar ebony butt. Think I paid about £125 at the time which included an aluminium case.

Although I packed up playing 15 years ago I still have the cue and it is still in great condition. Anyone have any idea about the value of this cue now? I do not really want to sell but might need an idea of replacement value for insurance purposes.

Many thanks in advance!

Altho 9mm is quite small the cue will/could be worth big bucks, pics tell a thousand words !!
    Think £1000 ish (give or take a chunk) depending upon length/weight/cue design etc

Comment

Don't sell it too cheap, if in doubt ebay it !!

Comment

Thanks jrc750. Unlikely to sell it as it holds many happy memories for me! Really just need to make sure its properly covered on our contents insurance. Will post a couple of pics when I get a moment as I am sure cue aficionados would like a look!

Comment

I got hold of one, 3/4 length normal snookers specs at just over £900.
          Get specs up, some on here really know their stuff and can value well (with pics).
          Insurance wise, i would say £1.5k mate.

Comment

Hunt & O'Byrne Black Plate Cue

Tavbet why not find a club and start using the bat for what it was meant for :biggrin:

cant wait to see the photos but to use TSF attachment feature you will need over 10 posts or you can use Photobucket type sites and copy the IMG code to display the images in your post
            Last edited by DeanH; 1 January 2016, 07:53 PM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just taken some pics so hope these help. The cue is 58" and the weight is placed at 16.5" from the butt end. not sure of weight as do not have anything to weigh it on but it is fairly standard weight.

[IMG]3 by Gary Tavender, on Flickr[/IMG]
              [IMG]4 by Gary Tavender, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]5 by Gary Tavender, on Flickr[/IMG]
              [IMG]2 by Gary Tavender, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

5 by Gary Tavender, on Flickr

Comment

HA HA! Cheers DeanH! Unfortunately golf (and marriage) took over from snooker but we have just moved into a new town and there is a working man's club here with a snooker table so I might just be using it again.

Comment

Hunt & O'Byrne Black Plate Cue

there you go!
                    cheap club, cheap beer, and cheap snooker!
                    get in there! :biggrin:
                    golf in the dry sunny days
                    snooker for the rest !
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Might be wrong but a coventry firm supplied them with ready made blanks at that period, could be one of those

Comment

They may well have done some dodgy copies but I had this made BY Hunt & O'Byrne personally near London Bridge and had two 'fittings' during the 4 weeks they took to make it!

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                          Might be wrong but a coventry firm supplied them with ready made blanks at that period, could be one of those
                          So has Hunt always been dodgy?
                          Got caught importing cues from asia i believe too. Bad for us punters.

Comment

Originally Posted by justf View Post
                            So has Hunt always been dodgy?
                            Got caught importing cues from asia i believe too. Bad for us punters.
                            Not dodgy in them days, they all **** in the same pot

Comment

Just thought that the dodgy splices looked like a bought in blank

Comment

Working...
                              X