Annoyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoyed

Being unemployed I managed to save up a few quid went to argos got the cue that I thought would be ok. I checked it in the shop thought it was ok got it home unwrapped it and the har case it was meant to be in fell apart so gonna get a refund and save a bit more and look at getting a totally different cue. Thought I was getting a bargain but what a load of trash.

Sorry to hear that but what did you expect from Argos? If you're on the rock'n'roll don't even bother buying a cheap cue, it won't be any better than one you take off the rack. Buy some sandpaper and a towel, get the tip of your cue roughed up and domed properly, take the cue to the bog and give it a wash. Use a little water so that part of the towel is damp, wipe it down, then use a dry part of the towel and buff the cue till it's warm to the touch. You can use any cash you might have spent on a cue on table time and beer, you might look a bit weird taking a cue in to the bog though, just say you really love it

Comment

LOL will keep saving

Comment

Has anyone here got an old cue lying around they can send the chap? A racker or something?

If you offer to pay the postage £10/£15 I bet someone on here wouldn't mind sending you one. I might even have one myself lying around.

You can adapt to any cue. But it won't help your game if you're chopping and changing.
        Have a think about it.

Comment

Thanks mate will bear it in mind.

Comment

Heh i have a couple you can have but the shipping from where i am to the UK isn't going to be pretty haha

Comment

St Helena?

Comment

wheres that

Comment

just looked on google thats a long way. however how much would it be?

Comment

halfway around the world. literally. i'm closer to australia than i am to the UK i'm afraid.

Comment

ok no worries thanks anyway

Comment

I bought a Powerglide John Parrot 3/4cue from Argos a couple of years back for £19.99, it's only a slight notch above a club cue but with a little tlc like what Mr 66 suggested, it's become very workable(even if it does feel like playing with a baseball bat on times) and will tide me over nicely enough until i decide whether I have the time and money to invest further into the past-time.

Comment

Dude, keep an eye on ebay, you can get some great second hand cues. Once you've played with a new cue the first time it ain't new anymore anyway. I got my player for £35 on ebay. I was very lucky but I did search for two years to find the holy grail, so it was worth it. The key if you're not going to spend a great deal is to avoid cheap jointed cues on ebay. Invariably, the butt will be solid wood, something cheap and painted often and the shaft a clunky ash of some type with a thick ferrule and horrid tip.

Here's a playable cue that is quite nice for the money. Case looks the biz as well.
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/snooker-cu...wAAOSwUV9WnVDv
                          A friend uses the same for pool, it has a solid hit. Can be used for snooker or pool with a 9.5mm tip. It's a chunk of cash if you're unemployed I know but it may serve you well for some time if you put a forgiving tip on it such as a Buffalo Diamond Plus or elk.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                            Has anyone here got an old cue lying around they can send the chap? A racker or something?.....
                            Right...I've had a rummage around, and I've found something that might be useful, that I'm prepared to let go of.

Lewis and Wilson (modern rubbish, rather than good old) 57" three quarted jointed cue, with SD joint in the butt. 17.9 oz with a 17.5" balance point. I can include Two fixed extensions (29 1/2" and 6" mini butt). These extensions also attach to the 3/4 joint to make a short (think restricted pool table) and intermediate length cue. Tip (end of the ferrule 9.5/9.6) type unknown, but no too bad, and decent shape....looks and feels like a Blue Diamond type. Dark honeyed (varnished!) ash, and a black/brown not too garish splice pattern on the butt. Looks okay from a distance, plays okay (medium stiff) with a decent hit for a cheap cue. Joint not totally flush, the finish overall could be better.

It's painted 'fingers' on the shaft, and I find the finish a bit tacky and varnish-y. If I was going to play with it, I'd spend a bit of time on it in regards to finish.

Pictures: full length four piece shot, business end shot.

No case, no postage and packing. I have a workshop full of stuff that I don't ebay, and just runs out of value because i haven't got time to pack and post stuff (never mind manage returns). So my suggestion is this...I'll wrap it in some bubble wrap or something, if the gentleman in question wants it, as a forum we need to relay it down to him. For example I'm in Nottingham. I will be going to Milton Keynes mon/tue during the day next week....anyone between nottingham and Milton Keynes who can take it on for another leg?

My only condition being that if it turns out to be of no use to the original poster, that he makes it available to another starter on the forum free of charge (postage paid, or relay organised...).

Comment

Nice to see some kindness on the forum, good stuff

Especially tetricky, that cue don't look half bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X