tip height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tip height

so... I have a question for you gents. I tend to play with a high/thick tip. It's domed, just like any other, except that I don't sand it as low down as most other people do. Would this affect anything play-wise? And if so, is there an optimum thickness?

also, while we're about it, you have to take a fair bit off some tips to get them to the normal height (about 30% sanded away). I was taught to do it the old-fashioned way... sandpaper and lots of elbow grease. built character... But seeing as I have less time nowadays, is there a quicker method of rough removal before fine-shaping? don't think it's right to take a knife to the tip but...

Good afternoon, NST.

I was a cuemaker for fifteen years so have a fair bit of experience in this area. One hint, which seems obvious but many folk don't realise it, is to sand down the underside of the tip until it's at the desired thickness before sticking it on your cue. Far easier and more effective than trying to do the job from above once it's stuck on the ferrule.

Good luck, sir.

Comment

Originally Posted by toastandmarmite View Post
      Good afternoon, NST.

I was a cuemaker for fifteen years so have a fair bit of experience in this area. One hint, which seems obvious but many folk don't realise it, is to sand down the underside of the tip until it's at the desired thickness before sticking it on your cue. Far easier and more effective than trying to do the job from above once it's stuck on the ferrule.

Good luck, sir.
      I bet there is loads of people reading this thinking 'why didn't I think of that'

Comment

I must have stuck on a hundred tips before I thought of it myself, sir.

Comment

This method is not just far easier and quicker, it also tends to result in an aesthetically-pleasing cuetip.

Comment

I'm sure it was Terry Davidson that said he used cut the thick laminates in half getting 2 tips for the price of 1.
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Yeah read about sanding from below, just didn't try it. Any comments about height vs playability?

Comment

I always take about 30 to 40% off a Talisman soft as it sounds clunky without this and I don't seem to get the same feel until it's at that height
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

tip height

yep sand before fitting but I do tend to leave some extra thickness to allow for compression. once compressed I then reshape
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    yep sand before fitting but I do tend to leave some extra thickness to allow for compression. once compressed I then reshape
                    Interesting Dean....After a new tip I always allow for depression to bed in.
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Sanding it from the bottom before applying it is a great idea to reduce the Tip thickness and i have done it but it is very hard to get it 100% flat and even.

I always seem to unwillingy apply to much pressure to one side meaning 1 side is not as level as the other so rotating it is needed all the time. Ways to avoid it are using some kind of sanding block to apply even pressure to the tip while sanding eliminating unwanted/uneven finger pressure.
                      If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

Originally Posted by Chappy5 View Post
                        Sanding it from the bottom before applying it is a great idea to reduce the Tip thickness and i have done it but it is very hard to get it 100% flat and even.

I always seem to unwillingy apply to much pressure to one side meaning 1 side is not as level as the other so rotating it is needed all the time. Ways to avoid it are using some kind of sanding block to apply even pressure to the tip while sanding eliminating unwanted/uneven finger pressure.
                        It doesn't really make too much difference, so long as you have 1mm or more to trim off, just make sure it's flat and clean.
                        No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Personally I like to leave them fairly thick because they last a lot longer without going rock hard but each to their own!
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by toastandmarmite View Post
                            Good afternoon, NST.

Good luck, sir.
                            Not sure about this .
                            depends What kind of tip u use .
                            As Chappy mentioned , very hard to get it 100% flat and even. Specialy with LM tips .

Comment

oh? I would have imagined laminated tips would have it easier...

Comment

Working...
                              X