Help someone Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help someone Help !!

Was re tipping my cue and got superglue on the shaft and can feel it when cueing how do i safely get it off ??

Scrape as much as you can off with a scalpel or Stanley blade, then rub down with 0000 wire wool, what ever you do don't try using anything like turps on it.
    No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
      Scrape as much as you can off with a scalpel or Stanley blade, then rub down with 0000 wire wool, what ever you do don't try using anything like turps on it.
      Absolutely. Tiny increments is the best policy, don't rush.

Comment

cheers lads had a problem similar with my last que took fine grade sandpaper to it and long story short ive a new cue lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
          cheers lads had a problem similar with my last que took fine grade sandpaper to it and long story short ive a new cue lol
          Doesn't sound like you are much of a handyman, good luck if you ever get to put a full size table together lol. What cue and tip are you using?

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
            Doesn't sound like you are much of a handyman, good luck if you ever get to put a full size table together lol. What cue and tip are you using?
            to be fair hand sanded in the pub not the best idea ive ever had but i use a standerd production riley now with 10mm elk master

Comment

Don't use a Stanley or scalpal unless your skilled with one, countless folk have shaved pieces off this way.

Do use nail varnish remover (or neat acetone) if the glue is fresh on, it's a solvent for methyl methyl acrylate amongst other things.

If it's been on a while, invest in a needle file from ebay, just a couple of quid, then gently file the glue off. Put a drop of oil on the bare wood. Don't worry about it not being uber smooth, it will become smooth as you play it.
              Last edited by focus; 3 March 2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by focus View Post
                Don't use a Stanley or scalpal unless your skilled with one, countless folk have shaved pieces off this way.

Do use nail varnish remover is the glue is fresh on, it's a solvent for methyl methyl acrylate amongst other things.

If it's been on a while, invest in a needle file from ebay, just a couple of quid, then gently file the glue off. Put a drop of oil on the bare wood. Don't worry about it not being uber smooth, it will become smooth as you play it.
                Please don't listen to this advice, you do not have to be skilled, just hold it at 90 degrees and gently scrape.
                Never take a file to your cue, it will either grip the glue and pull wood away with it or simply take gouges out of your cue. As for the nail varnish remover, you have already told us your using a Riley which we can assume is varnished, this will strip the varnish as well as the glue! If you had an oil finished cue it would merely thin the glue out allowing it to penetrate and damage the wood.
                No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Yeh its a varnish finish not an oil

Comment

Originally Posted by Tommykiid View Post
                    Yeh its a varnish finish not an oil
                    You thought about stripping the varnish off the shaft? Oil finish feels so much smoother on the bridge hand.

Comment

nitromose , then scrape it, won't hurt the wood BUT just to be sure wipe it of with a damp cloth

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                        nitromose , then scrape it, won't hurt the wood BUT just to be sure wipe it of with a damp cloth
                        Yep, stuff the sanding route. You will need to finish it however because cues with varnish on aren't fine finished underneath. So after the nitro, it will be p600, p1000, p2000, then used p2000 with cue oil, then rough wool oiled cloth (snooker cloth is idea) up and down, then something like oiled fleece, then oiled soft cotton (old t-shirt material). Then dry soft cotton for at least an hour. Voila.

But if you have a buffing machine, lots of time saved! lol

If the shaft is varnished I guess you could use a Stanley but a medical needle file is more accurate and less likely to do damage as you can file gently as you go close up. You don't see a surgeon take a stanley to a patient and I wouldn't take one to a cue shaft. Brutal. If the shaft is varnished, nail polish remover (acetone) is the answer for new superglue marks. The emergency services use it to get people unstuck without damaging skin. Skin is more delicate than wood remember.
                        Last edited by focus; 3 March 2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                          You thought about stripping the varnish off the shaft? Oil finish feels so much smoother on the bridge hand.
                          Will standard super glue remover affect the varnish?
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            I've never used superglue remover. I'd take this chance just to strip the varnish off and oil finish the cue as focus says above.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                              No, varnish needs a much stronger solvent like nitro to affect it. But if the glue is hard dried, more than a couple of hours, you'd have to rub nail polish remover on it like buggery to get it off. Might still be worth a try I guess. One of the few advantages of being shacked up is nail polish remover will be in your house somewhere. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X