Re-tipping a one piece....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-tipping a one piece....

I've got a small pile of cues that are close to being, err, finished re-finishing. Which means I have a small pile of tips to fit. I find it a bit time consuming. i particularly find it a bit awkward getting downward pressure on the tip, and trimming (even with a new stanley knife blade), particularly with a one piece which I find a bit awkward and unwieldy (much easier with a three quarter, because you can unscrew the butt). I find it difficult to get square downward curts, and I find it hard to get them round so there are not edged to sand out (which i find doesn't go brilliantly, and leaves problems when it comes to burnishing).

Anyone have any, err, tips?

Trevors method is pretty good, though not tried it yet myself.

Comment

Have you tried the big pencil sharpeners yet? They do it pretty easy.

Comment

Thanks guys......would love to use Trevers method...it appeals to me on lots of levels....unfortunately my (even new) blades don't seem to do that! The pencil sharpners I'm worried will bite in to the ferrule. will perhaps have a go at sharpening a blade further...but I'm a bit clumsy.

Comment

Re-tipping a one piece....

the pencil sharpner type do not hit the ferrule
          just keep the blade parallel with the ferrule side which is the best anyway else you trim the ferrule into a cone :biggrin:
          they do not finish flush to ferrule but close enough not to really matter/notice
          Last edited by DeanH; 4 March 2016, 10:33 PM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Try scalpels you'll never go back to a Stanley knife! Dirt cheap off eBay try a few different styles of blade to see what works best for you, they all cut through leather like butter, but different blades work better depending on how you feel most comfortable working the blade.
            This is how I do it http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=Genius
            No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

thank you. I'm giving that a try.

Comment

I use a scalpel sometimes but I find using those pencil sharpeners awesome. Got to be VERY careful though otherwise you'll cut into the tip and give yourself a 6mm tip-head on a 9mm tip. In a cone shape.

Comment

Originally Posted by culraven View Post
                  Try scalpels you'll never go back to a Stanley knife! Dirt cheap off eBay try a few different styles of blade to see what works best for you, they all cut through leather like butter, but different blades work better depending on how you feel most comfortable working the blade.
                  This is how I do it http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ghlight=Genius
                  yep a swann morten 10a can't be beaten.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

The big pencil sharpeners are good I have not caught the ferrule when using it.

Comment

Use masking tape to protect the ferrule if you're using the pencil sharpener.

Comment

I find Trevor's method is easy enough provided the tip isn't too oversized, take care if using the pencil sharpeners I'm still not sure if the twisting force is what caused the ferrule to come loose on one of my cues or if the ferrule was just not that secure from new.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                          thank you. I'm giving that a try.

The best blades for the scalpel is 26, has a nice very sharp point.

Comment

Originally Posted by rdsalt View Post
                            I find Trevor's method is easy enough provided the tip isn't too oversized, take care if using the pencil sharpeners I'm still not sure if the twisting force is what caused the ferrule to come loose on one of my cues or if the ferrule was just not that secure from new.

I find that the stanley blades are not sharp enough...I can see the pressed tip pulling. Which seems to undo the good work of my tip press beforehand. Until the scalpels come, it's one hand way in the air (like we don't care) trying to balance the cue, and pressing the tip into a cutting mat and going round (then trying to sand out the corners - which I really hate). I don't fancy a pencil sharpener. I mask the ferrule when i glue the tip...but to fit close to the ferrule and sand it around means risking sanding the ferrule......if I could cut off the masking tape, as I cut the tip close to round and flush to the ferrule, it will minimise sanding. So that's the plan. Scalpels.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                              I find that the stanley blades are not sharp enough...I can see the pressed tip pulling. Which seems to undo the good work of my tip press beforehand. Until the scalpels come, it's one hand way in the air (like we don't care) trying to balance the cue, and pressing the tip into a cutting mat and going round (then trying to sand out the corners - which I really hate). I don't fancy a pencil sharpener. I mask the ferrule when i glue the tip...but to fit close to the ferrule and sand it around means risking sanding the ferrule......if I could cut off the masking tape, as I cut the tip close to round and flush to the ferrule, it will minimise sanding. So that's the plan. Scalpels.
                              You won't be disappointed, I'm cack handed and since switching to scalpels find tipping 10x easier, you might want to invest in a Teflon tip burnisher from Andy as well, gives the tip a great finish.
                              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

Working...
                              X