No announcement yet.

How old is your cue really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only had two decent cues in my life. First was a Michael Dunham which I bought cos it looked like Jimmy Whites old cue. Feckin wooden twist joint which I split as always tightening too much! (First 3/4 I'd seen). And now proud new owner of adr147 Thai made cue which is fantastic quality. Cheers matey😀

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
      According to the B&W website Ye Old Cue was made from 55 year old wood from an English battleship (HM Warships).

No more information though.
      Strange that because the reference BBV0630 p.16 relates to page 16 of Burwat Billiards View June 1930, and the article is actually:
      "Paying a warm tribute to the skill of Laurie Steeples, the amateur champion, Mr. W. T. Rainbow, of Burroughes & Watts, declared that if Steeples could make the journey he would bring back from Australia next year the Empire Championship.
      Mr. Rainbow had the additional pleasure of handing over to Steeples as a gift from Burroughes & Watts Ltd. two beautiful cues, one of ash made of the 50 years' old wood from an English battleship, and the other a Burwat Champion, a specially selected set of crystalate billiard balls with ball scales, together with other accessories, all contained in a beautiful mahogany case.
      "

Presumably the first ash cue mentioned would be an YOA and the 55 must be a typographical error since our very own 100-uper helped collate the content for the webpage
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        Strange that because the reference BBV0630 p.16 relates to page 16 of Burwat Billiards View June 1930, and the article is actually:
        "Paying a warm tribute to the skill of Laurie Steeples, the amateur champion, Mr. W. T. Rainbow, of Burroughes & Watts, declared that if Steeples could make the journey he would bring back from Australia next year the Empire Championship.
        Mr. Rainbow had the additional pleasure of handing over to Steeples as a gift from Burroughes & Watts Ltd. two beautiful cues, one of ash made of the 50 years' old wood from an English battleship, and the other a Burwat Champion, a specially selected set of crystalate billiard balls with ball scales, together with other accessories, all contained in a beautiful mahogany case.
        "

Presumably the first ash cue mentioned would be an YOA and the 55 must be a typographical error since our very own 100-uper helped collate the content for the webpage
        I didn't realise what the reference was to so thanks for that; must be a typo somewhere but nice to learn a bit about unusual wood.

I love it when wood was made for a specific purpose (Ship) but when it has come to the end of it's life, someone decides to build it into something considered new again.

The wood was aged when it became a ship and is even older in that brand new cue given as a gift to some lucky person.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

As has been mentioned before, the publications states sourced from "H.M. Ships" and "English battleship", and nothing about sunken; and then several recollections that the wood was not actually used but was stored at the RN Newcastle shipyard and sold when was never to be actually used on a ship.
          The real story will probably never be know
          love the stories nevertheless
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            As has been mentioned before, the publications states sourced from "H.M. Ships" and "English battleship", and nothing about sunken; and then several recollections that the wood was not actually used but was stored at the RN Newcastle shipyard and sold when was never to be actually used on a ship.
            The real story will probably never be know
            love the stories nevertheless
            Sometimes the story is much, much better than the truth.

You couldn't handle the truth!
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
            X