Shaft Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft Repair

Hi, my maple shaft gets gold brown because of using linseed oil cold pressed. How can I repair to normal white maple color? regards

"Cold pressed" ?? Do you mean boiled or raw ?
    If you have been doing it for a while it will have soaked into the shaft, I guess only a severe sanding would get rid if it

Comment

Shaft Repair

Linseed oil will change with time to a golden colour, that is its nature
      You could try to remove it and get back to natural wood underneath, this could remove some of the wood as well.
      I believe Tung oil does not colour with age as much as linseed but can be stickier on application.
      I have heard that US pool players bleaching their shafts to get the white look. How good this is to the wood I don't know.
      I have an old maple cue which has gone golden and initially thought how to whiten it but after a while I have left it as is
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Shaft Repair

I think cold pressed is raw.
        Both types will change colour with time.

Comment

Sanding with how much grit? Bleaching with what? Regards

Comment

I have just refurbished a couple of old maple cues.

Use a fine scraper very gently to remove the dirt and chalk dust, then 180 grade sandpaper, then 240 grade, then 000 wire wool, wipe down with a cloth dampened with white spirit, leave an hour to dry, then apply three coats of tung oil mixed 50/50 with white spirit on the shaft, leave a day between coats.

I put three coats of pure clear french polish on the butt, leave two hours between coats giving a gentle wipe with 000 wire wool between coats.

Came out very nice.

Comment

Ok how much vol. percent Alcohol should the white spirit have?

Comment

You can go down the road of sanding or scraping etc. Before doing so though, I would try using a thing called a magic eraser. You wet it and rub it over Tue shaft and it will take any dirt etc out your shaft and lighten it . Available in add a etc. Might need to rub down with some fine sandpaper wet and dry after to smooth finish.
                "Don't think, feel"

Comment

where can I get this magic ersaer? regards

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
                    where can I get this magic ersaer? regards
                    Wilko, Poundland, supermarkets etc. Cheap. It's just a block of low abrasion foam. Wet it first.

But your cue needs nothing, a nice patina is a good thing on a maple. leave it be. It if plays great, why do something, even small, that alters the cue?

Comment

I live in austria. maybe in tool store. my cue gets gold because of the linseed oil, Glides too much and I hear the cue by swinging back and forwards. must become normal color again.

Comment

As said, the change in colour of the linseed oil is natural and normal for linseed oil

"glides too much..." as in it is really smooth? that's novel, most people talk about the cue not gliding and being sticky! :biggrin:

You can get "Magic Erasers" nearly anywhere, supermarkets, ebay, amazon.
                        As CueDoctor says, give them a go but gently first to see how it goes.
                        Not sure if they will remove as much of the old oil but you never know

And then once you get to a colour you like maybe try tung oil.
                        All oil will change with age, but I believe tung changes less than linseed and others.

Have you a photo "before" that we can see
                        cheers
                        Last edited by DeanH; 28 October 2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I live in austria. maybe in tool store. my cue gets gold because of the linseed oil, Glides too much and I hear the cue by swinging back and forwards. must become normal color again.
                          Australian Ebay
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            You mean Austrian surely ?

Comment

Do you mean the cue is sticking, and you can hear it going across your bridge, Is that the swing back and forward bit? Could be you have too much oil on it, have you really really buffed it? It takes a fair bit of time , maybe one of the cue lads could help with what to do if you have put too much oil on, if that's the problem.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X