Side Deflection on Cue Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Deflection on Cue Ball

Hi, can I reduce side deflection on the cue ball by using a hard tip and sanding the cue tip as flat as possible? regards

I don't think so, no. A completely flat tip will make it hard to put a lot of side spin on the cue ball though, which would reduce deflection, along with every other type of spin.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
      I don't think so, no. A completely flat tip will make it hard to put a lot of side spin on the cue ball though, which would reduce deflection, along with every other type of spin.
      If you look at Stuart Binghams Tip (the first of the two shown) that's the shape of my tip and it's a Talisman soft; I get loads of deflection. Gotta depend on the thickness of your shaft and whether you're striking the ball exactly where you think more than the tip I would think; others may have a different opinion so I'd be interested.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
        If you look at Stuart Binghams Tip (the first of the two shown) that's the shape of my tip and it's a Talisman soft; I get loads of deflection. Gotta depend on the thickness of your shaft and whether you're striking the ball exactly where you think more than the tip I would think; others may have a different opinion so I'd be interested.
        sorry, shown where?
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes thats what I also believe. Hard tip installing. Then having less deflection. My problem is I often hit the ball not in the center and get side spin on the cue ball, but I dont want side. I AIM STRAIGHT in the center.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            sorry, shown where?
            Well done, just checking that you're reading!

Click here

Also, didn't someone say a while back that Mike Wooldridge's blackspin ferrules prevented deflection? I might be wrong but remember something said about it.

Comment

Yes, they are low deflection, presumably because they are thinner and lighter. Deflection is determined by mass at tip end - basic equation is bigger the diameter of the cue, the greater the deflection (assuming ferrules are of equal size and weight).

A matchstick will cause hardly any deflect at all, whilst a broomstick will cause a load.

As for tip, a harder tip may make a very small difference but not so as you'd notice.

In short, don't worry about it, your brain will adjust automatically given time.

Comment

Whats a match and a broomstick?

Comment

Match is Streichholz, broomstick is Besenstock? I think, match for lighting fires, broomstick for clearing up mess.

Comment

thicker cue, lower deflection?

Comment

Originally Posted by Reini0100 View Post
                      thicker cue, lower deflection?
                      And tip of course.

Comment

thicker tip and thicker cue is lower deflection than thinner cue with smaller tip? so playing with billard cue in snooker would be better for me? regards

Comment

Thicker cues are not lower deflection, actually they tend to be higher deflection, because they are heavier at the end. It's a trade off, thick cue end is heavier, but easier to strike the centre of the white, so less unwanted side. Thinner/lighter is lower deflection, but harder to strike the centre of the white, so more chance of unwanted side. Maybe this is why a lot of snooker players use a mushroom tip, less deflection, easier to hit the centre of the white.

Comment

The thicker the cue the more deflection.
                            A harder tip will also lower deflection but not by much. Any lighter material like nylon, titanium etc will also lower deflection.
                            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

and big mushroom hard tip lower deflection or small hard tip lower deflection? regards

Comment

Working...
                              X