Side Deflection on Cue Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    Thicker cues are not lower deflection, actually they tend to be higher deflection, because they are heavier at the end. It's a trade off, thick cue end is heavier, but easier to strike the centre of the white, so less unwanted side. Thinner/lighter is lower deflection, but harder to strike the centre of the white, so more chance of unwanted side. Maybe this is why a lot of snooker players use a mushroom tip, less deflection, easier to hit the centre of the white.
    So, apart from Ebdon, which other pros use a mushroom tip?

Comment

Where does it say snooker pros?

Comment

There are some anyway http://www.snookercrazy.com/snooker-tip-shapes/

Comment

Where does it say snooker pros?
          Sorry, I thought snooker pros when you typed snooker players. I haven't seem many guys use a mushroom tip and none of the good players I know do. I don't think it's a 'lot' IME but maybe more folk do it up your end?

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            Sorry, I thought snooker pros when you typed snooker players. I haven't seem many guys use a mushroom tip and none of the good players I know do. I don't think it's a 'lot' IME but maybe more folk do it up your end?
            Welcome back splasher!

What are we defining as a true mushroom tip? Is that one where any part of the tip is wider than the ferrule?
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
              From that link I posted, Mark King, Barry Hawkins, and Ali Carter's is a bit mushroom. I'm sure Ronnie had a slight mushroom tip for a while. I would guess almost every pro has, at some point, tried a mushroom tip. I have but I go for flat sides now, purely to make cueing along a cushion easier.

And no-one does it up my end. I'm not that way inclined

Comment

From that link I posted, Mark King, Barry Hawkins, and Ali Carter's is a bit mushroom. I'm sure Ronnie had a slight mushroom tip for a while. I would guess almost every pro has, at some point, tried a mushroom tip. I have but I go for flat sides now, purely to make cueing along a cushion easier.

And no-one does it up my end. I'm not that way inclined
                What a fantastic article.

Obviously a really intelligent snooker enthusiast.

Comment

That picture in the top corner looks familiar though, not sure where I've seen it before.

Comment

That picture in the top corner looks familiar though, not sure where I've seen it before.
                    Think he stole it from me!

Comment

I have a Paredon Newbury laminated cue which is anti deflection. Not sure I get on with it as I've always play with side and it's hard to get used to it not deflecting off line.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Jonny, was a good read. I tried a mushroom tip, just distracted me I couldn't get on with it sticking out past the ferrule.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by hollywood1976 View Post
                          I have a Paredon Newbury laminated cue which is anti deflection. Not sure I get on with it as I've always play with side and it's hard to get used to it not deflecting off line.
                          Ramon is banned so cannot speak about his lammy cue from the doc. Is there any chance you could provide pics and a review of this cue please? I ask because the Newbury is an affordable laminated cue and could be a route into laminated cues for many, without spending a fortune. The anti-deflection properties sound interesting. And a lot cheaper than spending a ton on a ferrule that doesn't work well.
                          Last edited by Big Splash!; 28 October 2016, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I don't know why but in my head I have these lammy cues being poker stiff, would be interesting to know if they achieve a standard hit across many cues or if they all play different like normal cues.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Ebbo plays with an oversized tip, not one that is mushroomed per se. Why he does this is anyone's guess.

Mushrooming is simply the effect of the tip becoming squashed through repeated contact with the white. Can't say it bothers me one way or the other. Burnish the sides correctly and nobody need worry.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                                Ebbo plays with an oversized tip, not one that is mushroomed per se. Why he does this is anyone's guess.

Mushrooming is simply the effect of the tip becoming squashed through repeated contact with the white. Can't say it bothers me one way or the other. Burnish the sides correctly and nobody need worry.
                                In the world of pool you are correct. But snooker is a different game, and uses different (or simply wrong according to you) words.

Comment

Working...
                                X