No announcement yet.

Side Deflection on Cue Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tips look like that when I'm halfway through cutting them back, I use the turn cue with a razorblade on it method. On the tip, not the cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      It's the way it's cut Biggie, it's deliberately tapered out from the ferrule to the edge of the tip to form a kind of V or plant pot shape.
      Don't bother mate.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        My tips look like that when I'm halfway through cutting them back, I use the turn cue with a razorblade on it method. On the tip, not the cue.
        True, a thin blade will naturally deflect away from the tip ferrule edge. haha.

Comment

Mine as well Jonny, it kind of naturally takes that shape on the first pass,that's why I tried it, it was horrible lol, I couldn't handle seeing it sticking out past the ferrule.
          Don't know how long they last Splasher but it can't be long, well not compared to a flat shaped tip.
          On Shockerz site the picture of Barry Hawkins tip looks unplayable to me.
          Last edited by itsnoteasy; 29 October 2016, 09:54 PM.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

most people seem to think deflection is maybe a tip or shaft issue i think ferrule material is another variable to throw in the mix i remember hearing steve davis switched to a fibre or plastic ferrule i think beacause it lowers defflection though they only seem available in american pool cue sizes ie 12 to 14 mm or so

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeharris1701 View Post
              most people seem to think deflection is maybe a tip or shaft issue i think ferrule material is another variable to throw in the mix i remember hearing steve davis switched to a fibre or plastic ferrule i think beacause it lowers defflection though they only seem available in american pool cue sizes ie 12 to 14 mm or so
              Yeah it's been discussed a few times and also thinner brass ferrules or pigeon rings.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeharris1701 View Post
                It's mass at tip end. Thinner, lighter, smaller etc equals less deflection. Tip itself has marginal effect either way.

Comment

Don't bother mate.
                  Lol.

Completely pointless. It's a bigger tip, tarted up. It has NOT mushroomed. You can call it whatever you please but it is an oversized tip someone has farted about with because they think it adds something. It doesn't. The tip is in contact with the CB for too short a time to care about what shape it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                    Those are usually referred to as flat lamination and they will definitely flex more in different directions, most have moved to radial (pie shape) lamination and yes you can easily get down to snooker sizes, if the lamination is done right it should be no different.
                    I'm using lammy too. But the chevron too eyes catchy
                    Some comments that my cue looks like a toy.. I do enjoy the cue though and if I'm getting a new cue, it will be another lammy but without the chevron. Haha..

Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Mine as well Jonny, it kind of naturally takes that shape on the first pass,that's why I tried it, it was horrible lol, I couldn't handle seeing it sticking out past the ferrule.
                      Don't know how long they last Splasher but it can't be long, well not compared to a flat shaped tip.
                      On Shockerz site the picture of Barry Hawkins tip looks unplayable to me.
                      I just struggle to see the benefit personally of having a larger tip past the ferrule diameter.

When you look at Stuart Binghams tip on the page before and after the world championships he played better with the one that was smaller and struggled with the new tip.

The one he had prior had virtually disappeared but when mines like that (which it is now) it plays at it's best and there's hardly anything there so how much does the tip affect play; less seems more to me not more seems more. (if that makes sense!!).

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
                        I'm using lammy too. But the chevron too eyes catchy
                        Some comments that my cue looks like a toy.. I do enjoy the cue though and if I'm getting a new cue, it will be another lammy but without the chevron. Haha..
                        [ATTACH]18529[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]18530[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]18531[/ATTACH]
                        Are you getting a new cue just due to the looks or jjust not happy with how it plays?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                          Are you getting a new cue just due to the looks or jjust not happy with how it plays?
                          If I'm getting a new cue.. Lol..
                          Got this cue from my wife as a birthday gift last year (I chose the cue and she pay). I won't mind getting another one

The cue plays great. Have tried many maple and ash cues.. But I still prefer this cue (lammy). I can't explain but the flex and respond from the cue is to my liking
                          Last edited by Fisherboi; 30 October 2016, 07:53 AM.
                          Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                            Lol.

Completely pointless. It's a bigger tip, tarted up. It has NOT mushroomed. You can call it whatever you please but it is an oversized tip someone has farted about with because they think it adds something. It doesn't. The tip is in contact with the CB for too short a time to care about what shape it is.

Once again, you've missed the dun, dun, dun! main point.

It is not just the quantity of force, but how it is applied in snooker. A whacker can hit the CB hard and get little reaction, a good player hit the CB less hard and get more spin. If I really whack the top of the CB as in my now FAMOUS Judd Trump special recreation, I can banana or stun the ball even though I definitely applied top spin as can be seen on the shot.

You can hit something with a hammer or a mallet. The results will be different. Applying the same force over a broader area is bound to lead to a different outcome on the CB. Could it be that the players are getting less deflection due to lower end mass but not getting unwanted side, by having a mushie stuck on, that is wider than the ferrule?

I note that the photos of Ding and Ronnie show little mush; from the best break builders that exist. Judd's doesn't show much mush either, from the best potter around.

But Mark King has a huge mushie on! PMSL. Ronnie called him a whacker, so is a mushie the tip that tries to save the whacker?
                            Last edited by Big Splash!; 30 October 2016, 08:16 AM.

Comment

You would think there would always be movement on a severe mushroom tip( I don't see how they ever bed in properly would you not have to be fiddling on with them all the time to maintain the shape) with the base being narrower than the top, wouldn't this apply more unwanted side if you didn't cue very accurately?
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                              X