No announcement yet.

Fitting a cue extension for an old cue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a cue extension for an old cue.

Thinking to install a brass pin/socket for an old cue in order to use a mini extension.

Will installing a brass pin/socket change the weight or the balance of the cue. If so by how much?

Thank you

many will say not to "ruin" an old cue with a butt joint.
    Is the cue an antique? Is it an historical artefact?

If just a run-of-the-mill old cue, I don't see why not, if it keeps it doing what it was made for
    As to balance, it maybe a changed a little but I have thought that the amount of wood removed (weight-wise) is probably so close to the weight of the metal, you probably wont notice any difference - but to be able to add an extension and play with your cue for those shots you never were able to before out-weights (sorry :wink any perceptible difference

Were are you located?
    I have used Andy Travis for modifications, he is based near Sheffield and is reasonably priced and usually very quick turn around, he can also make you a matching mini butt and possibly supply a longer tele
    Give him a PM and just ask
    [get two more posts ]
    Last edited by DeanH; 28 October 2016, 10:59 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by snkrplr View Post
      Thinking to install a brass pin/socket for an old cue in order to use a mini extension.

Will installing a brass pin/socket change the weight or the balance of the cue. If so by how much?

Thank you
      Your cue will be an ounce or so heavier. The balance point will reduce down towards the butt a bit as well but not much. The worst thing is that the brass deadens the feel of the cue butt on strike. It's not so bad on jointed cue as the cue is half dead anyway but tragic on a one piece. What is your 'old cue' sir? I've seen this done to old maple and ash cues weighing 16oz beforehand and the cues have been ruined afterwards, never played the same.
      Last edited by Big Splash!; 29 October 2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Put one in,you can always have it removed if it alters way cue plays and your not happy.

Comment

andy will put you a fibre one in if you ask him nicely

Comment

Working...
          X