Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players Didn't Change their Cue Till Date..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
    The cue Jimmy used against Kirk Stevens was a Classic Custom Cue made by Cue maker Michael Dunham. Think they were based in Telford. The thick white collar joint was made of maple not white plastic as it appears.

I think the cue originally belonged to Alex Higgins as there is footage Alex using it first in a early pot black episode against Jimmy (circa 83).

Jimmy switched to Hunt and OB circa 85/86. Prior to the Classic Custom Cue Jimmy played Alex in the 82 World Championships using a one piece machine spliced cue.
    The cue used by Jimmy was not a Classic Custom Cue. The cue did belong to Alex Higgins which Jimmy bought off him for £150. It was not the same cue that Alex used in '83 Pot Black. Alex had some work done on a few cues ( made into 3/4 cues) and the white collars were plastic. Jimmy took a liking to one of them and bought it. There was quite a big write up in one of the tabloids at the end of 1983 about Jimmy's cue problems where he mentions he just bought one off Alex that he likes (the cue). The journalist mentioned cheekily that £150 was a bit steep considering they were good mates and Jimmy response was "it's a small price to pay if it means getting my game back". Jimmy won nearly £70'000 over the next 5 months with this cue (prize money stat from cue tracker)

Comment

I think Nigel Bond is a candidate, cant remember the name of cue maker, I believe maker is from Sheffield, might be sheldon. cheers
      I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
        The cue used by Jimmy was not a Classic Custom Cue. The cue did belong to Alex Higgins which Jimmy bought off him for £150. It was not the same cue that Alex used in '83 Pot Black. Alex had some work done on a few cues ( made into 3/4 cues) and the white collars were plastic. Jimmy took a liking to one of them and bought it. There was quite a big write up in one of the tabloids at the end of 1983 about Jimmy's cue problems where he mentions he just bought one off Alex that he likes (the cue). The journalist mentioned cheekily that £150 was a bit steep considering they were good mates and Jimmy response was "it's a small price to pay if it means getting my game back". Jimmy won nearly £70'000 over the next 5 months with this cue (prize money stat from cue tracker)
        Wow you learn something new everyday. Any idea what the cue was Mick?

Comment

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
          Wow you learn something new everyday. Any idea what the cue was Mick?
          Hi ebonynivory, Sorry, I don't know what Jimmy's cue was originally before it was "doctored" on Alex's instructions. The cue that Alex used in '83 Pot Black (and up to and including the 1983 World Championship) which looked very, very similar to Jimmy's was - I suspect - a Burwat Champion which he had used on and off - with numerous modifications - for years. These modifications ranged from "plastic padding" car filler to a new spliced longer ebony butt and a conversion to a 3/4 cue. The ash shaft of Alex's cue had a very distinctive grain pattern above the splicing ( can all been seen on you-tube vids) and I think this cue with "white collar" and whatever modifications that went with it was finally discarded with after the 1983 World Championship and before the 1983 UK Championship.

Comment

Working...
          X