What is this white stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this white stuff?

Noticed this in quite a few parris cues and it seems to mainly occur after a refinish that the ebony becomes bunged up with white particles. Its noticeable in quite a few of the pics on this listing. Is this just wax being caught up in the grain of the ebony or bad finishing work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Parri...UAAOSwa~BYZs3N

I think this happens when layers, veneers or in this case splicing are too thin and the woods natural fibres are exposed. :snooker:
    Last edited by the lone wolf; 3 January 2017, 07:13 PM.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I remember it being commented on it before, someone called it something like "linsing" or a word very similar to that, think it was sanman actually.

Comment

Some woods have mineral deposits in them called silica ... it can happen more in Indian Ebony than African, it can be picked out like bits of fine sand but you can't stain it.

Comment

I personally don't think there is much good quality ebony around anymore and some of this is just not as dark as the better stuff?
          Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

The days of easy to get jet black ebony are long gone Danam

Not impossible to find but getting to that point and with ALL types of Rosewood going onto the CITES list this month it's going to cause more hassle for the Dalbergia woods ... permits will be needed now for any international shipping but it's not clear just what permits will be needed. Rosewood's bought before this month might be ok with proof of purchase but we'll see, I wouldn't be surprised if Ebony is next.

https://reverb.com/uk/news/new-cites...sewood-species
            Last edited by JimB; 3 January 2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimB View Post
              The days of easy to get jet black ebony are long gone Danam

Not impossible to find but getting to that point and with ALL types of Rosewood going onto the CITES list this month it's going to cause more hassle for the Dalbergia woods ... permits will be needed now for any international shipping but it's not clear just what permits will be needed. Rosewood's bought before this month might be ok with proof of purchase but we'll see, I wouldn't be surprised if Ebony is next.
              There is an ebony alternative i seen a while back, Dave Coutts made a cue with some stuff called Ebano which is being marketed as an ebony substitute.

There's a few questions and answers about it here:

http://www.rocklite.co.uk/phdi/p1.ns...ocument&part=8

Comment

So is that the same as ebonex that Peradon use? The fella calls it a wood engineered product, so I'm guessing it's a man made composite of some type?
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  So is that the same as ebonex that Peradon use? The fella calls it a wood engineered product, so I'm guessing it's a man made composite of some type?
                  If the density of this is the same as ebony or perhaps a bit more, it could be an ideal material, providing the feedback is the same or better?

Comment

Like it or not, the days of using exotic hardwoods on everything from guitars to cues are coming to an end.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
                      Like it or not, the days of using exotic hardwoods on everything from guitars to cues are coming to an end.
                      A very sad truth Ghost, the exotic glory days are gone forever but we all knew it was coming, certainly in the guitar industry, every year or so we'd get some update on another wood getting close to the edge of the 'needs permit' list

Things change, as they must.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        According to peradon ebonex is hand spliced onto the butt, then again they say their cues have an oil finish but from seeing a few it seems more like lacquer.

If it can mimic ebony in terms of having a smooth feel and being dense enough to add weight to the cue like ebony then its a win win, people get the jet black colour they crave and nothing is lost from the feel or look of a cue.

Its odd to think that in maybe 10 or so years that ebony may not be an option anymore. So presumably Fedia is stocking up on plain black butt cues in the hopes of selling them 5 grand a pop when ebony comes off the cue-makers list.
                        Last edited by narl; 4 January 2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X