Slight concave under ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight concave under ferrule

Does a (very slight) concave under the ferrule matter ? in other words does it affect the playing of the cue in any way ??????

Misunderstood post

Comment

Like a concave in the shaft under ferrule?

Comment

Slightly increases the chance of ferrule snapping off easy job to move ferrule down a fraction to cover it without affecting anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
          Slightly increases the chance of ferrule snapping off easy job to move ferrule down a fraction to cover it without affecting anything.
          Except length of cue, unless longer ferrule used ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Except length of cue, unless longer ferrule used ?
            I was assuming it would be a very small dip below the ferrule if larger yes it would slightly affect the length, a photo would help.

Comment

Slight concave under ferrule

Seen the "hourglass" wear below the ferrule many times.
              Usually it is because the owner when cleaning the cue clamps around the ferrule end of the shaft and then wipes down. I have seen people do this with sandpaper (to clean before every frame?!?!) and they wonder why the wood wears down.
              I sent that cue to AT for a new ferrule. Yes the length was reduced slightly but the owner was not bothered by that. He now does not clean his cue the way he did
              Last edited by DeanH; 4 February 2017, 12:24 PM.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I always thought the hourglass thing was from people chalking the cue wrong, I'm fairly sure it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  Seen the "hourglass" wear below the ferrule many times.
                  Usually it is because the owner when cleaning the cue clamps around the ferrule end of the shaft and then wipes down. I have seen people do this with sandpaper (to clean before every frame?!?!) and they wonder why the wood wears down.
                  I sent that cue to AT for a new ferrule. Yes the length was reduced slightly but the owner was not bothered by that. He now does not clean his cue the way he did
                  Yes I think over time I over did the wire wool cleaning of the area round the ferrule bit stupid !

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                    I always thought the hourglass thing was from people chalking the cue wrong, I'm fairly sure it is.
                    One friend years ago used a chalk that was a "square-polo" and the chalk did hit the shaft as he used it. The shaft was filthy with chalk and yes the shaft was only slightly hourglassed but this was over many many years. The other cues had been cleaned/wiped down from clamping tightly by the ferrule and dragging down. Sure you have seen on TV players doing this and even doing it two handed as they stand waiting to play
                    Nowadays I tend to wipe my cue from butt to tip and never clamping tightly
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It is, if you grip the cue when chalking the excess chalk will be ground into the shaft at that point, and as it's abrasive will wear down quite quickly if you don't clean your cue regularly.
                      No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

So did I , thought it was those that bore a hole through their chalk then turn it at an angle.
                        A bit like this, fifth pic in.
                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1-...MAAOSw44BYkQEd
                        Last edited by itsnoteasy; 4 February 2017, 10:03 PM.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

There's a right way and a wrong way

Comment

The two main reasons I've seen this happen have already been said on this tread..
                            Sometimes it's people chalking badly or a friend of mine does the other one...
                            Chalks his cue so much that his fingers are blue Street a few games and looks like I will have to put another ferrule on his cue...
                            For that one you've always wanted...
                            https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

Working...
                            X