Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning cues

Hello

Just wanted to ask what's the best method to clean snooker cue, I want to pass my old cue to my younger brother but it stinks of cigarettes smoke due to the club's I used to play in, back in the day and it may need sanding down some rough spots. Should I strip it down and use craftsman's cue beeswax? I have tin.

If striping it down is the best method how should I go about doing this and should I use beeswax or oil.

Thanks
    3/4 Craftsman's Cue Majestic Tulip 58.75, butt jointed at 16", 19 oz , 9.6mm

Clean it with white spirit then give it a going over with 1600 grit wet and dry. I'm not keen on wax, seems to get sticky in warm weather. I use teak oil, doesn't colour the shaft too much.
    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

here are some good starting tips for general maintenance:
      http://handmadecues.com/cue-care/
      https://www.parriscues.com/cue_care/

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Baby/wet wipes are brilliant to get grime off.just buff cue off immediately after.
        H.b.142

Comment

Originally Posted by lennon11 View Post
          Baby/wet wipes are brilliant to get grime off.just buff cue off immediately after.
          yep can be good, but not the aloe-vera infused ones

Comment

Cheers guys this is what I have http://www.craftsmancues.com/acatalo...68.html#SID=37.
            Last edited by Essa; 8 February 2017, 06:42 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Originally Posted by fredkite View Post
              Clean it with white spirit then give it a going over with 1600 grit wet and dry. I'm not keen on wax, seems to get sticky in warm weather. I use teak oil, doesn't colour the shaft too much.
              Is white sprit safe on wood?

Comment

Originally Posted by Essa View Post
                Is white sprit safe on wood?
                yes, just don't soak it in the spirit

wipe on, wipe off :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Thanks DeanH i read those links you posted both Mike and John said not to sand down the cue down thanks for that bit of info.

So to get rid of the old oil or wax I just either need to use white spirit or wipes/ damp cloth wipe than buff and than use fine grit sandpaper after the wipe down is that safe.

Whats your opinion on wax or oil which is best, is there difference?

Would common white spirit from local diy store do the job?
                  Last edited by Essa; 8 February 2017, 07:04 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

The finer the grade of sandpaper that you have, 1000+ for final gentle rub down. Then wipe off with spirit/wipes again.
                    Finish is down to personal taste, I use linseed oil - follow the instructions as per the links, i.e. "less is more"
                    a little oil on a lintless cloth or paper towel will go a very long way; then wipe off the excess before it has time to set and go sticky

I have never used was on a cue, others have and love it.

There is no "standard" way, always (as in most thing snooker-related) is personal preference

Comment

I use one of those yellow and green sponges for washing up to put oil on my cue, the little gaps in the side are perfect for it.

Comment

Cleaning cues

I just got a q wiz from tiger cues and it's great. two sides, one for cleaning, other for polishing and can be cleaned in water and reused again and again.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

Wipe on wipe off

Comment

Take it to craftsman cues and get it done properly I see your in Bradford so not far to travel.

Comment

Working...
                            X