Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long breaking in a new cue

hi

might of been another thread on this but cant seem to find it.

so how long usually does it take to get used to a new cue?
    and when can ya decide its not working for you

I think that is something you can pretty much tell straight away Matt, though a week should be more than enough if there's any uncertainty over the first day or so.

It's something which can kind of depend on the level a player plays at also, as a more experienced player would perhaps be able to feel immediately whether a cue is to their liking.

Generally speaking, you could say there are two parts to a cue that need to be fulfilled.

The first part is the shape and size of the cue.

This should be to an individuals liking, with issues such as length, ferrule size, weight etc etc, needing to be to the players preferences. This will ensure the player at least feels at home with the overall specification of the cue, and, feels comfortable when addressing the ball on the table.

The second part is more to do with how the cue performs and obeys a command.

This means that the cue should behave as you feel you have instructed it to.
    A player will want a cue to do exactly what is asked of it (more or less), and, be 'reliable' in terms of how it performs. The problem with this aspect however is the variable factor in the process, which is the player himself. This is where the ability/experience comes into play. A more competent player will have more 'feel' in recognising what is happening, whereas a novice or beginner would not be equipped with the understanding to assess what is happening in such detail.

That is a simplified view of it really, but, it does kind of cover what is most important in a cue.

Hope that helps a little.

Comment

thanks trev, yeap does help
      think just sticking to it is the key even tho every tom dick and harry beat you!

must get rid of me other cues, sticking to one is proving difficult

Comment

Yep, always a difficult situation when you like to keep a number of cues Matt.

I've lost count of the great players I've known over the years who've played amazing stuff with various cues, only to swap and change them at the most bizarre times. Some of these players will always be weakened because of their constant cue swapping, while others get a positive buzz from doing it and actually find it lifts their play, albeit often only temporarily.

It's just not possible to put into words why people are effected in this way.

Myself, I think the only way to go is with a single cue, as over time, you'll get to know it so well that it just disappears and becomes what you use to play, no more and no less. It is always going to add to the battle when you are thinking of your cue when playing, the game can be difficult enough at the best of times without those thoughts creeping in.

Good luck with your choice anyway, enjoy your game..

Comment

For me it has only just started to feel anywhere near 100% within the last 6 weeks and i have had it since about July.

Hasbeen a long time, although with me i found playing English Pool helped me get used to my cue and it benefited me when playing Snooker.

I felt more comfortable as soon as i got it but just recently everything seems to be working ok with it. I feel better with every shot, and rarely have something to complain about when playing with it.
          http://marronsfooty.proboards50.com/index.cgi Sign Up!

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
            Yep, always a difficult situation when you like to keep a number of cues Matt.

I've lost count of the great players I've known over the years who've played amazing stuff with various cues, only to swap and change them at the most bizarre times. Some of these players will always be weakened because of their constant cue swapping, while others get a positive buzz from doing it and actually find it lifts their play, albeit often only temporarily.

It's just not possible to put into words why people are effected in this way.

Myself, I think the only way to go is with a single cue, as over time, you'll get to know it so well that it just disappears and becomes what you use to play, no more and no less. It is always going to add to the battle when you are thinking of your cue when playing, the game can be difficult enough at the best of times without those thoughts creeping in.

Good luck with your choice anyway, enjoy your game..
            thanks again trev

yeh gonna stick with one, gonna put rest in loft where i cant get to um! lol

Comment

psycho

the changing cues as trev mentioned just works on a psychological level with the player, nothing to do with the cue. A good player thinks i am playing awful must be the cue (obviously it cant be the player) so changing the cue will work for a while, its some psychological denial thing that does work for certain periods the cues may be exactly the same but the player then tries harder (i.e. cues straighter, stance correct, timing sorted) with the next cue its all confidence which is all the game in snooker ...

p.s. on this note in the west mids leagues there is a great poem in the handbook which i dont think was originally meant for snooker but if anyone can remember it or knows it can they post it or pm it to me. it begins with if you think you will lose you have already lost...... etc

Comment

cheers morse
                totally agree

think av sin this poem 2, read a bruce lee book where he quoted it.

Comment

a day lol i only got it yesterday and have done a few good breaks

Comment

Working...
                  X