Is wood grain naturally black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trevs1
    ....Still, I think Wity's spanking himself about that now.....Oooh, a nasty image just crossed my mind there.
    Spanking my own hairy butt's not my thing Trevor but I dont mind a bit of dirty dancing..

Got me a bit too much grain filler round my belly though.

Comment

are there a relationship between Welsh pool trading snooker cue company and Mike Wooldridge cues company? are two same in UK england? Barry Chow

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1
        are there a relationship between Welsh pool trading snooker cue company and Mike Wooldridge cues company? are two same in UK england? Barry Chow
        none other than that the welshpool trading company sells mike wooldridges cues among others.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

That's correct Welsh Pool Trading sell their own UK made cues and cues from other good cue makers in UK and Thailand.

The reason the one wooldridge cue has Welsh Pool Trading on the badge is due to it been my design

Paul

Welsh Pool

Comment

This chat on grain filler gave me an idea on a new cue design I was working on.
            So I have used it to give a plain yellow wood some added detail and a kind of aged look? pictures to folllow.

May not be everyones cup of tea so just made three has sample's.

Comment

Done a search on grain fillers and come across this thread.
              I would like to pose the original question IE: what can I use as a simple grain filler.

Comment

Made/sold many cues in the eighties and nineties but never once did it occur to me to use grain filler and unlike the mass of cue making information now nothing was available to send me down that route.I always darkened the grain with wood stain to make it stand out but then the rest was just hard work with sanding the shaft.All these cues and not a single complaint but I sold Terry one last week and he tells me it could have been improved with grain filler.Even at my age happy to listen to someone who knows what they are talking about so for the first time I will be giving it a try.

Comment

I don't want trade secrets just a simple but effective method that I can do at home. I have plenty of old ebony cues so I could use the dust of these but what king of binding agent would I use?

Comment

Just get Ebony Coloured Grain Filler from B&Q. You don't need Ebony Dust, Binding Agents etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                      Just get Ebony Coloured Grain Filler from B&Q. You don't need Ebony Dust, Binding Agents etc.
                      Hi Gerry, how hard or should I say how soft is it. What I getting at is after I have fill the grain is this stuff easy to sand down?

Comment

I've never used it so I don't know but I've asked as few cuemakers the same question as you so I'm just repeating their answers.

I have no personal experience of using Grain Filler.

Comment

Caz - you can buy grain filler of ebay which you can mix with black earth pigments to get the desired colour. You mix into a paste using a little meths, use a finger and spread/rub into grain, leave for a few hours/overnight then sand back. Wii likely need to use sanding sealer after, then cut back with fine sandpaper to get smooth before oiling.

grain giller - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primary-wo...item20b2c8431f

earth pigments - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Eart...item20afe8dbef

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
                            Caz - you can buy grain filler of ebay which you can mix with black earth pigments to get the desired colour. You mix into a paste using a little meths, use a finger and spread/rub into grain, leave for a few hours/overnight then sand back. Wii likely need to use sanding sealer after, then cut back with fine sandpaper to get smooth before oiling.

grain giller - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primary-wo...item20b2c8431f

earth pigments - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Eart...item20afe8dbef
                            Thanks stejohn I'll have a look.

have u used this yourself and what do you mix it with (meths)??? sorry just saw the meths bit..EERrr

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                              I don't want trade secrets just a simple but effective method that I can do at home. I have plenty of old ebony cues so I could use the dust of these but what king of binding agent would I use?
                              i wonder if mixing with evo wood glue would do it? - can't believe this thread was 5 years ago - i miss witty!
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

A simple but effective way of doing it is using a quick drying woodstain. Buy whatever shade you would like your grain to be( ebony being the darkest). Apply liberally over grain, leave to dry then sand back and the stain will stay in grain and white of ash becomes light. Seal after, then sand again until required finish is achieved then oil.
                                "Don't think, feel"

Comment

Working...
                                X