Is wood grain naturally black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    i wonder if mixing with evo wood glue would do it? - can't believe this thread was 5 years ago - i miss witty!
    Why did he get banned and was it a life ban?

Comment

don't really want to keep sanding the cue, I'm going to go with the grain filler on ebay.

Can some one outline the whole process.
      IE: things like sanding sealer's, do I apply that before or after filling, wouldn't a sealer stop the cue oil from being absorbed.

If someone could put the steps up in order(rough guide will do) and what grade/type of paper would help.

Comment

ok Caz, i have used this stuff before.

Firstly i use wire wool 000/0000 to get into the grain to pull out any loose bits of grain, and generally clean up shaft. Remove any wax etc or varnish.

Mix the filler powder approx 2 teasoons filler to half teaspoon black earth pigments, then add methylated spirit (can find in chemist/hardware store) to make into paste slightly thinner than toothpaste. Rub into the grian all aliong shaft (i use my finger have a damp cloth ready to wipe finger now and again to clean off filler). At this point the while shaft will look a mess covered in black stuff, (the filler will dry a lighter colour)

Once finished all the shaft leave overnight, then cut back with around 400 grit wet/dry to remove the black from the ash so its just left in the grain and ash is back to normal colour.

Now use the sanding sealer to seal the grain, this stuff dries fairly quick and you can smooth off with 600grit working upto 1200ish grit then ready for oiling.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
          Why did he get banned and was it a life ban?
          not sure i think his language was the issue!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by stejohn View Post
            ok Caz, i have used this stuff before.

Firstly i use wire wool 000/0000 to get into the grain to pull out any loose bits of grain, and generally clean up shaft. Remove any wax etc or varnish.

Mix the filler powder approx 2 teasoons filler to half teaspoon black earth pigments, then add methylated spirit (can find in chemist/hardware store) to make into paste slightly thinner than toothpaste. Rub into the grian all aliong shaft (i use my finger have a damp cloth ready to wipe finger now and again to clean off filler). At this point the while shaft will look a mess covered in black stuff, (the filler will dry a lighter colour)

Once finished all the shaft leave overnight, then cut back with around 400 grit wet/dry to remove the black from the ash so its just left in the grain and ash is back to normal colour.

Now use the sanding sealer to seal the grain, this stuff dries fairly quick and you can smooth off with 600grit working upto 1200ish grit then ready for oiling.

Good luck!
            Great post, just what I was after.
            thanks John

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
              Just get Ebony Coloured Grain Filler from B&Q. You don't need Ebony Dust, Binding Agents etc.
              Never seen or heard if an ebony grain filler in b&q or anywhere for that matter buddy.
              How's tricks anyway m8.
              "Don't think, feel"

Comment

In the end I couldn't be bothered using any filler and took all the filler out using sand paper and wire wool. I then used stainer to darken the ash and I have to say the cue looks great, it now has a vintage look about it that I really like.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aurora-bla...item3a7a410f9c

Comment

Looks like snake oil, lol. Seriously too late for me but wonder if it is any good?

Comment

• Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                      Looks like snake oil, lol. Seriously too late for me but wonder if it is any good?
                      Looks like something else to me..

Comment

• Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                        I've got some Aurora cue oil if you want to try it out Caz......
                        Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                        Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

• Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                          I've got some Aurora cue oil if you want to try it out Caz......
                          I'm going to strip it back to wood again and start again lol. I want to thin the butt down some more and wasn't happy with the finish in the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X