No announcement yet.

Sanding / Varnishing help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, I'll strip it later tonight and try to pick up some raw linseed after work tomorrow.

There seems to be conflicting advice on here as to whether bees wax is good/necessary... since mine is only a cheap cue and I'm looking for a cheap solution, do you think it'll be ok to skip the wax part and maybe polish it with the inside of a leather belt as is suggested in one of those links?

thanks for your help

Comment

my preference would be to go with the linseed

Comment

Originally Posted by dip10020
        thanks, I'll strip it later tonight and try to pick up some raw linseed after work tomorrow.

There seems to be conflicting advice on here as to whether bees wax is good/necessary... since mine is only a cheap cue and I'm looking for a cheap solution, do you think it'll be ok to skip the wax part and maybe polish it with the inside of a leather belt as is suggested in one of those links?

thanks for your help
        in most cases raw linseed oil on its own is fine - can't believe after reading sems initial reply you then varnished the cue!
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

yep, I can barely believe it either now! stupid i know, but I must have just missed that part somehow!

I've now sanded again with the 400, 800 and 1500 grade wet & dry, and it feels better, so I'll have a go with the linseed oil if I can pick some up tomorrow.

thanks for your help guys!

Comment

In my own quest to get the perfect finish I've done 6 or 7 cues now the first two or three a couple of times. By trial and error and picking up hints off others such as burnishing with a piece of leather(hardly worth while imo) and lightly using 0000 beteween each coat of linseed I've managed to get as good a finish on them all using the cue I bought off ADR as the benchmark.
            Maybe next time I can go one stage better, which I never thought possible after feeling ADR''s cue but I bought last week some of those micro papers and they are excellent. With them i've polished the scratches out of a watch face leaving the glass as new so they can only be good for a cue.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=007

Comment

take it to a cue maker and get it done right

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER
                take it to a cue maker and get it done right
                Whats the point in asking for help, when all you get is replies like this ?
                I'm in the same boat and ENJOY the challenge of tackling things myself !
                Stay with it dip !

Comment

No problem with playing around with cheap cues .

Just I have seen many quality cues only good for firewood following close encounters with sandpaper and wire brushes etc....

Cheap cues tend to have varnish on them for a reason anyway,

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER
                    No problem with playing around with cheap cues .

Just I have seen many quality cues only good for firewood following close encounters with sandpaper and wire brushes etc....

Cheap cues tend to have varnish on them for a reason anyway,
                    a fair point.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                    X