cue making, repairs and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    ADR147, you did nto specify the butt diameter, but you did specify the diameter of 10 inches from the tip, may I ask why?
    18" is quite forward balance, isn't it?
    Thank you.
    most cues are between 29 and 30 mm and i am not too fussed where but the diameter over my bridge hand makes a big difference to me, 17-18" is normal but i use a one piece so 18 is what most people would use i think.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• ADR147. I never though about the diameter of the bridge area making a difference before. Thank you.
      So, usually a one piece is perferred to be more forward balance than 3/4? My cue is a more backward balanced than 18". Some told me I could get more power if I use a more forward balanced cue.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• just been on the website and it's operating ok - could be that it was busy last night judging by the orders received today - so it may have crashed or taken a long time to load - regards - Keith
        www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

• Keith mate don't want to hijack this thread so please discuss over PM with me but man you site ......... you need help

Comment

• ferrets free web help . com
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              13.75mm at 10 inches from the top of the ferrule
              What would be the average diameter over the bridge hand? Is it a personal preference when ordering a custom made cue? I'd be interested in finding out what's the diameter of used by say someone like Stephen Lee, Mark Williams or Ronnie O'Sullivan, anyone knows?

I also have another question; my ferrule (originally 9.5mm) has gone down to about 9.2mm. If I were to change it, would the cue become shorter?

Thanks.
              Give'em hell, Mark :snooker:

Comment

• Hi Scoo
                Back in 1985/6 Matchroom published a book called 'Matchroom Snooker' in which it covered all aspects of the game, but more importantly from your perspective, it pictured all the original Matchroom stars showing their stance and cueing. Now there is quite a difference in height between Steve Davis and Neil Fowlds and Jimmy White and Tony Meo and yet Steve Davis' bridge hand is closer to the cue ball than any of the others, mainly because he bends his left arm whilst the others keep theirs rigid, and the distance between the tip and the bridge is shorter. This points to the conclusion that the size of the taper running through your bridge hand will differ depending on your proximity to the cue ball when addressing the shot, therefore you should shop around and try to find something that feels comfortable for you and then if you're going to have one made supply the one that feels comfortable to your preferred cuemaker and ask him to make you something on that taper. If you do get a chance to get hold of the book - look up my name - you'll find me mentioned as a cuermaker even that far back !!
                www.cuemaker.co.uk

Comment

• Originally Posted by scoo24 View Post
                  What would be the average diameter over the bridge hand? Is it a personal preference when ordering a custom made cue? I'd be interested in finding out what's the diameter of used by say someone like Stephen Lee, Mark Williams or Ronnie O'Sullivan, anyone knows?

I also have another question; my ferrule (originally 9.5mm) has gone down to about 9.2mm. If I were to change it, would the cue become shorter?

Thanks.
                  IT DEPENDS ON WHAT DIAMETER THE WOOD IS UNDER THE FERRULE. IT COULD BE THAT THE FERRULE ON YOUR CUE HAS SLIGHTLY CONED IN(HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE SANDPAPER AND CAN HAPPEN THROUGH TIME BY TIP REPLACEMENT), THEREFOR A REPLACEMENT FERRULE WOULD STILL STIT ON THE SEAT CURRENTLY ON THE CUE. IF THE WOOD IS SMALLER THAN 9.5, THEN YES YOU WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE CUE DOWN TO THAT DIAMETER.
                  "Don't think, feel"

Comment

• Thanks Keith & The Doctor for your replies. Much appreciated

I'll have the ferrule replaced and hopefully I won't lose any of the cue length.
                    Give'em hell, Mark :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by keith auld View Post
                      Hi - my name's Keith Auld -I've been a cue maker for more than 30 years and am now in semi-retirement. Over the years I've taught many cuemakers the art of cuemaking (Robert Osborne was one of my many apprentices), I also appeared on BBC television's South Today programme last year showing how to hand make a snooker cue and this was followed by a workshop for all budding cuemakers at the Royal Victoria country park the same year, which was very well attended, You can also find reference to me as a cuemaker in the Matchroom Snooker book first published in 1988.
                      So if you need help with a cue problem, from straightening your cue, stripping and re-polishing to learning how to build or repair your own, you're welcome to contact me by e-mail or through my web page at www.sotonsnooker.com
                      Rgards - Keith
                      Hi Keith, I'm considering making a cue. Is it possible to make one with saws and hand planes, or would i need a lathe? If so what type of lathe and how much would this cost? Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I would be grateful for your advice.

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisgairjunior View Post
                        Hi Keith, I'm considering making a cue. Is it possible to make one with saws and hand planes, or would i need a lathe? If so what type of lathe and how much would this cost? Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I would be grateful for your advice.
                        You have revived a thread which is over 2 years old
                        Keith Auld has stopped making cues. As to your question, no you dont need a lathe, but i imagine it would be easier if you did. Sure some of the amateur cue makers will give advice soon

Comment

• yes you can make a cue using saws and hand planes(which i do) but be prepared for some very hard work and a lot of disappointment.

Comment

• Originally Posted by flame View Post
                            yes you can make a cue using saws and hand planes(which i do) but be prepared for some very hard work and a lot of disappointment.
                            How did that lacewood cue you made play flame ??
                            and have you made any more since

Comment

• Just had an email alert to this thread............ ah, memories.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Wity View Post
                                Waste of time making him a cue Mike he gets the sandpaper out on day 1 and squeezes orange juice all over it. On day 2 he's changed his mind and is fitting a different ferrel. On day 3 he's got a felt tip pen out and is dawing an extra arrow on it. On 4 it sanded off again. 5 sees him trying to flog it the barman in exchange for his bar slate and then on the 6th day he's taking photos of it ready to put on ebay on the 7th.
                                Just read thro this whole thread and really enjoyed it, particularly the above post talking about ADR147
                                also poolqjunkie getting some early tips

Comment

Working...
                                X