cue making, repairs and help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
    Just had an email alert to this thread............ ah, memories.
    Hi trevor,
    How can I CONTACT YOU, I am very anxious to have a CUE made by you
    How can I order a cue?

Comment

• Yes, brings back memories indeed, can't believe it has been that long.
      Joining this forum and reading what Trevor and Mike said and looking at Trevor's work were the main reason why I decided to try my hands on snooker cues. :-)
      Last edited by poolqjunkie; 27 June 2010, 11:12 PM.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        Yes, brings back memories indeed, can't believe it has been that long.
        Joining this forum and reading what Trevor and Mike said and looking at Trevor's work were the main reason why I decided to try my hands on snooker cues. :-)
        Wow, beautiful cues. I was wondering what type of saw you would reccommend to cut the flats on the cue and to cut the ebony wedges? I am just having a first crack at splicing a plain ash 1 piece cue and I have a nice block of 'gabon ebony'. I'd rather be patient and start each stage of the process only when I know how I will go about it. Hopefully I can fashion a presentable cue but if not atleast i tried

Here is an example of the ebony I have, I was surprised at the heaviness and hardness of the stuff. Looks a nightmare to cut!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-1-2-x-1-3-8-x-...item3a5c6c5a7e

Comment

• Originally Posted by flame View Post
          yes you can make a cue using saws and hand planes(which i do) but be prepared for some very hard work and a lot of disappointment.
          Do you have any pictures of your work flame?

Comment

• yes, just look through my threads

Comment

• I'm a fussy bugger! But flame's latest creation is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice :-)
              sigpic

Comment

• you are a fussy bugger folding when you do lol

Comment

• That's just being sensible! :-)
                  Have you put a tip on that cue yet? Come on man!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally Posted by flame View Post
                    yes, just look through my threads
                    can you just guide me through cutting the flats on the shaft for the splices?

Comment

• ive just started making a cue , been practcing for months spliceing joints on scrap , so ive gone for it and gonna see what probs i hit as i go along

Comment

• Originally Posted by alcotty321 View Post
                        ive just started making a cue , been practcing for months spliceing joints on scrap , so ive gone for it and gonna see what probs i hit as i go along
                        Nice one, what tools are you using? Im trying 4 butt splices when I have figured out how to do it, because nobody will help. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally Posted by chrisgairjunior View Post
                          can you just guide me through cutting the flats on the shaft for the splices?
                          You don't cut them, you plane them. How ell they turn out depends a lot on the accuracy of your planing. What you are trying to do is make four unifom flats on the shaft at n/s/e/w.

Mark the point where you would like the splices to start and plane down till you have a square of the shaft at the bottom. If you have a centre on the bottom of the shaft and can accurately mark the base that will help you.

My mind doesn't work very well with trying to describe these things but if you make four uniform flats with the plane, starting at the same length up the cue and each the same depth at the base you will have four good areas to glue your splices onto.

Assuming the splices are properly flat you should get a decent match top and bottom of the points.

Hope this helps although I know it is a bit vague.

Once you then plane these to a round you will begin to see how accurate you have been on the shaft. You will also have a sore shoulder.

Comment

Working...
                          X