Snooker cue Vs Pool Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker cue Vs Pool Cue

I'm starting this thread as I'm looking for a new cue specifically for pool. I have noticed that makers who market cues as "specific" for pool all have them at 57" with the 8.5mm tip I like, and offer to shorten if required. Identically patterned snooker cues are 58" with a 9.5mm tip, with the option of having them longer.

My question is this, are the shafts different? If I order a 58 1/2" snooker cue {I'm 6'3"} and have it with a 8.5mm tip, will it play differently to the specially made pool cues offered?

I know that Mike Woolridge offers both type of cues, as does Green Baize, and before I spend over 150pound, I'd like to know if there is a difference.

Thanks Daniel

It's always seemed to me that a pool cue has a thinner tip than a snooker cue, and is more often centre jointed than 3/4. Length and butt dimensions are more to do with the player than the game.

But I could be wrong...

Comment

Who the hell plays pool with a 8,5 mm tip??

Or do you mean UK pool? But then why would you need another cue than your snooker one?

I'm slightly confused.

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
        Who the hell plays pool with a 8,5 mm tip??
        Chris Melling has in the past (if not a smaller tip)

Comment

But surely that wasn't regular, "international", pool?

Comment

But surely that wasn't regular, "international", pool?
            at 9 ball, in an international event, at "the business end". on tv

Comment

In that case he must be the only pro in the world to do so. 99% of the players use a 12-13mm tip.

I'd strongly advise agaist using a 8,5 mm tip for pool.

Comment

In that case he must be the only pro in the world to do so. 99% of the players use a 12-13mm tip.
                that may be so. i never said otherwise. i only answered your earlier question.

I'd strongly advise agaist using a 8,5 mm tip for pool.
                me too. for "9 ball pool" 10mm absolute minimum

Comment

Hi Dan65,

In short to answer your question, no, there will be no difference in the way these cues are made, with absolutley no disadvantage to you in getting either a specially made snooker or pool cue.

There's no great secret in how they'd make the pool version of the cue compared to the snooker version. Both cues will have similar quality materials I'd have thought, and, will be made in an identical fashion. It will just be the case that one of them has had an extra 1/2" to 1" lopped off the top of the shaft and has also had the final taper reduced to 8mm, 8.5mm or 9mm or whatever the hell the ferrule size is on the finished cue. Apart from that, the'll be EXACTLY the same thing, so don't worry over it.

If you are going to play nothing but pool with the cue, then I'd say no worries over getting it 8.5mm, although if you're going to 'occasionally' play snooker with it, I'd suggest you went for at least 9mm, or perhaps just a fraction under at most. If you play too much snooker (heavier balls and greater distance) with a 'really' small ferrule, there's a good chance you'll be requiring very regular maintainence on the cue, which could prove inconvenient and costly.

To the other posters of the thread, I'm almost totally certain that Dan65 is talking about 8ball pool, not 9ball. If he played half a dozen shots with a cue of 8.5mm with the weight of a 9ball white, his cue would be about a foot shorter after every 20 minutes of play......ouch.

Comment

trevs

thought Dan was talking of "english 8 ball" too....was just answering posts about "9ball"....

ive played snooker with a cue under 7mm tip. great action on the cueball, but like hitting it with a knitting needle on long shots. ouch

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                      trevs

thought Dan was talking of "english 8 ball" too....was just answering posts about "9ball"....

ive played snooker with a cue under 7mm tip. great action on the cueball, but like hitting it with a knitting needle on long shots. ouch

Surely he must be, otherwise he'd have to be 100% insane.

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
                        Surely he must be, otherwise he'd have to be 100% insane.
                        id imagine he is....

"I have noticed that makers who market cues as "specific" for pool all have them at 57" with the 8.5mm tip I like, and offer..."

dont know makers of "9ball" cues who do that....at least not as the norm

Comment

Originally Posted by trevs1
                          Hi Dan65,

In short to answer your question, no, there will be no difference in the way these cues are made, with absolutley no disadvantage to you in getting either a specially made snooker or pool cue........
                          Thanks for that, just the info I was wanting. As regards snooker, when I play I use my grandfathers cue, a 1950's Sidney Smith. I haven't done a 100 break yet, but he used to use it as part of the Surrey side and scored many 100+ breaks. As regards Tip size, I currently use a JX Cue with a 9mm tip, I just want a GOOD cue now, as I started in Div 7 and am now in the Div 3 grand final. I've played with other cues ay 8.5mm, and like the movement it gives on the small table. As a point of note, one local player who is also in the Australian team uses a 7.2mm tip .

For all the queries about 9ball, sorry, I should have said UKBlackball. It's call pool here in Oz, and American games are called by there description eg 9Ball .

Daniel

Comment

Originally Posted by Dan_65
                            . As a point of note, one local player who is also in the Australian team uses a 7.2mm tip .
                            thats not that small, if your good at english pool, and youre a good cueist, as the white is much lighter than in snooker.....

still a good bit smaller than joe public who would probably use a bog standard "snooker cue"

all the best with the divisions Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X