Cue brands among the top 16?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by manager steve View Post
    Smurf's cue is one of the nicest old cues I have ever had the pleasure of picking up. Cracking bit of wood and beautiful looking cue with dark mature ash.

Ali Carter's cue is a very old Thurston's cue which he has had since he was a boy. That too is a lovely classic looking mature old cue and plays very firm - very little whip for such an old cue. The butt needed work when he got it and although barely visible (certainly not under the TV cameras) it was lengthened slightly by Parris by splicing in four ebony splices.

Ali actually snapped the shaft of his cue many years ago in the club - clean off! He put his cue up in the air after missing a shot and caught the tip and shaft in the suspended ceiling! It was such a clean break that he managed to get it repaired and glue back together and it has remained that way, and touch wood (excuse the pun) ever since.

He has, however, always been nervous of it just giving way one day so had had numerous cues made over the years but never yet found one he likes. He loves old cues and is always on the look out for something special in that department. I have a lovely Tom Reece that I play with that he loves, but it's a little too whippy for him to play with. Okay for my game though and I'd never part with it!

He had his cue after last years Worlds, somewhat reluctantly, but massively more convenient for transporting and JP did a great job and the cue plays no different.
    yes i know he is on the look out for a new playing cue - i have just (yesterday!) sent him some to try. not sure having his cue jointed was a good idea though i know of many people who have done it and never got on with the cue again.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

What cues did you send him?

Comment

a pair of good burwat champions.

Comment

ADR - i was with ali yesterday when you called him - he was rather excited at receiving the cues! - and about the other leads you gave him for the other guys who have, by the sound of it, some impressive collections!

he had a couple of lovely burwatts a few years back but funny enough neither of them played nice. i'm looking forward to seeing the one's you send down....

he was unsure about cutting his cue as ideally he would have loved to keep it in one piece but was proving too inconvenient and awkward what with a lot of overseas travel these days (and he has a sports car too which dont help lol). bit of a gamble getting it cut but jp did a great job and it plays no different at all.

Comment

Originally Posted by manager steve View Post
            ADR - i was with ali yesterday when you called him - he was rather excited at receiving the cues! - and about the other leads you gave him for the other guys who have, by the sound of it, some impressive collections!

he had a couple of lovely burwatts a few years back but funny enough neither of them played nice. i'm looking forward to seeing the one's you send down....

he was unsure about cutting his cue as ideally he would have loved to keep it in one piece but was proving too inconvenient and awkward what with a lot of overseas travel these days (and he has a sports car too which dont help lol). bit of a gamble getting it cut but jp did a great job and it plays no different at all.
            yes - he is a nice guy to talk to, and genuinely enthusiastic about old cues, so one way or another i will help him find what he is after. as for the burwats they are both good but as a general rule burwats are not great playing cues although i know of two out there that are, one andy huinter has and one belongs to a guy in lancashire who bought lots to find one he liked!

splitting cues is an interesting topic, the trouble is usually in the mind and once you lose confidence in your cue its hard to regain it so i would always advise against it! as for sports cars there is a topic on here about which ones can take a full length cue!

Comment

All cars can take a full length cue, you just have to open a window.

I'm joking of course, before you all jump down my throat.

Comment

can anyone clarify whether Mark Allen is using a Mastercue or a H&O?

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                  can anyone clarify whether Mark Allen is using a Mastercue or a H&O?
                  not for sure i havn't seen it but i am relaibly told he was using a mastercue in the club a while back.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shaun Dalitz View Post
                    3 Shaun Murphy -Tom Newman 1370
                    I always though Murphy played with a vintage 100 year old Burroughs and Watts. Infact, i'm almost 100% certain he does.
                    Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

i am 100% sure its a tom newman 1370 that was extended by rodney hind so its a little younger than that - the break was 1924 i think.

Comment

Interesting. Did he used to play with a B&W or was it a practice cue?

The reason i ask is that a few years back i was talking to him at the manhatton club in Harrogate and he definately had a B&W then (2005)
                        Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Do you have any experience with Mastercue ADR?

Comment

Mark defo plays with a Robert Osborne. I had a few shots with it when i played him a couple of years back. I have always used Ozzy cues myself, however about 18 months ago, i came across a one piece master cue(pro butt) just plain ebony and ash. I was so impressed with the workmanship and the quality of the ash. i decided to buy it and sell my ozzy. I did however get Robert to put a joint in it at the balance point and it has not changed the play of the cue at all. Robert took the weight out and with the joint it weighs about 17oz and is a class cue. Value for money is unsurpassed with mastercues and craftsman. If you have the money then i recommend Hunt and Osborne, but i love the work done by Trevor and woolly too.
                            "Don't think, feel"

Comment

does anyone know what cue stuart bingham uses

Comment

Originally Posted by matt1987 View Post
                                does anyone know what cue stuart bingham uses
                                I believe he used to use a cue from the cue doctor Gary Taylor but I'm not 100% on that. He used to have a logo on his waistcoat for their cues in the past but I think he changed cue about 2 years ago so I'm not so sure now.

Comment

Working...
                                X