Ferrule--why brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrule--why brass?

I have seen and heard a lot of brass ferrules that have come loose over time, they also seem to get scratch marks and become dull as times go by.

There are a lot of durable, scratch resistant, and easier to work with materials such as LBM, Aegis, and other kinds of phenolic, that are bing used on American pool cues--they do not easliy crack, they glue very well, and remain shiny and scratch free over time..

Why is brass being used on snooker cues? Is there something irreplacable about brass?

If it is the hit of a metal ferrule that players are after, what about bronze, stainless steel...etc?

Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    I have seen and heard a lot of brass ferrules that have come loose over time, they also seem to get scratch marks and become dull as times go by.

There are a lot of durable, scratch resistant, and easier to work with materials such as LBM, Aegis, and other kinds of phenolic, that are bing used on American pool cues--they do not easliy crack, they glue very well, and remain shiny and scratch free over time..

Why is brass being used on snooker cues? Is there something irreplacable about brass?

If it is the hit of a metal ferrule that players are after, what about bronze, stainless steel...etc?

Perhaps you could answer this yourself... or let me answer it by paraphrasing yourself:

"May I ask why are you so interested in the ferrules?

Snooker is a game that requires lots of very dedicated practice and analysis on the players' part. The cue is simply a means.

Most snooker players still practice over six hours six days a week or else they will drop in their rankings.

No shaft/tip/ferrule/cue can really make a difference.

The most important thing is really just lots of practice -- equipment is only a tool."

Ahw -- isn't irony a bitch..?

-- peer

Comment

we like brass ferrules - the american ones are too distracting - brass is also softer than for example stainless steel as so can be made flush easily if the cue moves etc. if you make a joint or ferrule from steel you could not sand it down and finish it the way we do.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thanks Adr147.
        So, is it more of a tradition then? What the players are use to when they sight down the cue perhaps--may be the soft brass offers a certain hit that the players like and have come to get used to?
        Good point about the finishing of a stainless steel ferrule. I can see how that could be a problem for someone who wants to polish his own ferrule. I think Bronze would work quite nicely though in that aspect.
        On a side note, in Canada here, there are lots of snooker cues featuring a black ferrule. If you look at the older videos of Cliff Thornburn, and Kirk Stevens, you will see that on their two piece cues.
        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
        X