No announcement yet.

Gravity Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Development Director - what the hell is that by the way?

If - Hygiene technician = cleaner
    Does Technical Development Director mean cue maker

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
      You know this guy then Fred?
      I've known Neil for a long time. He is the coach in our club and also runs the kids club on Saturday mornings.
      You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

and a cue maker too?

Comment

and a cue maker too?
          No mate. He just designs. He has some brilliant ideas for training gadgets as well. A very clever guy with some brilliant ideas. Watch this space!!!

Comment

A cue with a spring? is this him explaining it I take it?

So he is a snooker coach that invents things for snooker - interesting.
            How much does he charge for coaching then? - would not mind popping down and having a go with these things.

Comment

A cue with a spring? is this him explaining it I take it?

So he is a snooker coach that invents things for snooker - interesting.
              How much does he charge for coaching then? - would not mind popping down and having a go with these things.
              That is indeed Neil. I've used the 360 cue a few times and it certainly reveals flaws in a dodgy cue action. You are far more conscious in delivering the cue in a straight line and not dropping your shoulder but it feels really good if you cue well as the cue just stays straight all the way through your action. But if you cock it up, you really do know about it as Clayton demonstrated in the video!! Rather embarrassing if someone is watching!!

I can't remember Neils coaching prices off the top of my head. I will have a look at the posters in the morning and message you. His ideas are very different but really quite clever Byrom. He has developed loads of novel gadgets for first time players to pro standard players. Simple ideas but brilliant. Me and Billy have had a few lessons off him. He is very patient and explains everything clearly. Certainly worth a trip to Liverpool. An afternoons coaching and then a few frames with me if you are up for it mate?
              Last edited by fred.england; 11 October 2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Hi Fred, not too sure about the shoulder drop part. Once I raised doubts on whether a person with a cueing action like O'Sullivans and Murphys will have problems with it, to a really good player in a club. He demonstrated two cueing action, one with, and one without the shoulder drop and he managed to make insane power shots with both. I think it has to do with the grip and delivering the stroke smooth.

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
                That is indeed Neil. I've used the 360 cue a few times and it certainly reveals flaws in a dodgy cue action. You are far more conscious in delivering the cue in a straight line and not dropping your shoulder but it feels really good if you cue well as the cue just stays straight all the way through your action. But if you cock it up, you really do know about it as Clayton demonstrated in the video!! Rather embarrassing if someone is watching!!

I can't remember Neils coaching prices off the top of my head. I will have a look at the posters in the morning and message you. His ideas are very different but really quite clever Byrom. He has developed loads of novel gadgets for first time players to pro standard players. Simple ideas but brilliant. Me and Billy have had a few lessons off him. He is very patient and explains everything clearly. Certainly worth a trip to Liverpool. An afternoons coaching and then a few frames with me if you are up for it mate?

Comment

Originally Posted by lbs View Post
                  Hi Fred, not too sure about the shoulder drop part. Once I raised doubts on whether a person with a cueing action like O'Sullivans and Murphys will have problems with it, to a really good player in a club. He demonstrated two cueing action, one with, and one without the shoulder drop and he managed to make insane power shots with both. I think it has to do with the grip and delivering the stroke smooth.
                  Yes, you are probs right with the shoulder drop but it certainly is a great tool to have. I've been speaking to Neil today and the 360 cue that I've used in the past has been modified. I haven't tried the new type yet but I am itching to give it a go. Neil really is a very innovative guy who just seems to come up with new and novel training techniques. His absolute passion is the kids snooker he runs every Saturday morning. We even have 2 kids teams that play in our local handicap league with ages ranging from 7 to 16!! Both teams are doing ok as well. The team my son plays for even won the knockout cup last season. Our club has a great reputation in producing young talent as well. We have 2 England internationals who were nurtured right here in Scottie's. Clayton Humphries and Josh Mullholland. Both are regular 100 break players and Clayton has had numerous max breaks. I believe that Clayton hit his first ton after only about 3 months of picking up a cue. I watched Josh hit a 94 in a league match on Thursday. When he went to the table the balls were awfully placed. It really was top draw stuff!!!! I believe its a lot to do with Neil's training techniques that the youngsters in our club show so much promise for the future.

Comment

It's always great to hear about up and coming talent Fred.....

Fair play to Neil, sounds like he's got some excellent things going on in your club!!
                    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                      It's always great to hear about up and coming talent Fred.....

Fair play to Neil, sounds like he's got some excellent things going on in your club!!
                      He certainly has mate. He is so good at identifying raw talent it's uncanny! All the kids have upmost respect for him as he spends all morning floating round the room helping out. It doesn't matter if it's the first time you've ever picked up a cue he is there to help.

Comment

That's absolutely amazing..... Definitely what the sport needs to survive, people identifying up and coming talent of the future!!

Massive respect for Neil and all those other coaches doing the same thing around the country......
                        Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                        Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
                          That's absolutely amazing..... Definitely what the sport needs to survive, people identifying up and coming talent of the future!!

Massive respect for Neil and all those other coaches doing the same thing around the country......
                          They certainly do have the patience of a saint! There are some kids who will at best only ever hit 20/30 breaks but Neil still has time to help their game and I'm sure that Neil is one of many around the country trying their best to keep our glorious game flourishing. Every Saturday morning there are at least 20 of our tables taken up with the kids club. It really is good to see the kids enjoying the game.

Comment

If you drop your elbow and close your grip too soon it will "break" the spring, twisting, gripping too hard, see sawing, will all be shown up by this cue, the only thing i can think of that will not show up is cueing across the line, as you can still cue through straight and smooth but across the line and this will not cause the spring to break, i have one of these and its very good i get it out now and again if i feel i am hitting the ball instead of stroking it, its well worth the money.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I agree with 'itsnoteasy' on this one. I have one here as a training aid and when I'm stroking bad or feel something is going wrong I give it a go myself and it soon shows me where I'm going wrong, which is mostly 'clutching the cue' or in other words gripping the cue too tight and too early, which is a very common fault.

This will cause the cue to break.

One real good confirmation test is to play long blues and try and screw back as much as you can. If you are tightening the grip the tip will break up and the cueball will follow on. I have to admit I do find screwing the cueball on a power shot a bit difficult with the 360 though and that's probably something I should be working on and getting ingrained into my technique.

Terry
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X