Buying a custom cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a custom cue

Hi everyone, i am new to the forum here, and my first post is to ask all your advice on buying a custom cue.

I mainly play 9 ball but also love UK 8 ball too. I am a big custom cue collector of the american variety and love the personalisation you can get with them. I have thousands of pounds of 9 ball cues and since selling the Arch Fine Cue i had about a year ago, all i have is an old snooker cue, so i would like to buy a quality cue for 8 ball.

What i am looking for is a highly thought of cuemaker that would be prepared to build a cue to my specification rather than a standard one from their range. Particularly in the wood selection. My 9 ball cues have all sorts of exotic materials in them and highly figured burls and stained woods and want to reflect this in my snooker cue. I want the main splices to be a deep red cocobolo instead of ebony with some decorative splicing at the bottom too.

The makers i was thinking of were Mike Wooldridge or Trevor White but don't know if they would be interested in making such a cue or not.

I would greatly appreciate your comments and advice on who would make me the cue i desire, and if so, some contact details or websites.

Thanks in advance,

Graeme Clark

You Are In Luck

Both Mike Wooldridge and Trevor White are members and regular posters on this forum!!

Mike's username is mikewooldridge, and Trevor's is trevs1.

Welcome and enjoy the forum!

Comment

i am sure they will make whatever you like. - arch fine cues - umm yes indeedy - better to look at than play with me thinks!
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Actually it played well. I had the silver pinstripe design and then upgraded to the silver double spiral. The balance was pretty good for a cue that was loaded with silver in the butt. The splices were so long that it gave a bit of forward balance to the cue, whilst also looking great. It was pretty heavy, but was a really great hitting cue, very solid.

Comment

i have only seen one t would have been good for seal clubbing but no way you could have carried it on the street without some sort of permit! - i suspect for the same money you can have one from mike and trevor!

Comment

Yeah!!! They are a bit on the pricey side. The pinstripe set me back 800 and i paid 300 more to upgrade to the double spiral. Ouch!!!

Comment

yes £1100 will get you a couple of decent cues from mike and trevor!

Comment

I would certainly hope so. I am not looking to spend so much this time. I already spent the money i got from selling the arch on a new pool cue. The snooker cue will be used much less and just want a good cue from a top maker, i'm not too bothered about it being really high end stuff.

Comment

cues

hi i dont think it makes much of a difference because i have a snooker cue that is seletaped together and is very ruined and i made a 34 twice on a very bad cloth a small table little room to play and i have only just turned 14 last sunday not making any excuses but you must admit that is pretty good i also make alot of 10+ breaks in frames given the circumstances is pretty good dont you think.

Comment

Originally Posted by AWeir13 View Post
                    hi i dont think it makes much of a difference because i have a snooker cue that is seletaped together and is very ruined and i made a 34 twice on a very bad cloth a small table little room to play and i have only just turned 14 last sunday not making any excuses but you must admit that is pretty good i also make alot of 10+ breaks in frames given the circumstances is pretty good dont you think.
                    Good for you. You are right, a good player will play well regardless, but he may play better with a better cue.

Keep up the practice and i'll look out for you on telly over the next few years. At that rate you'll be beating Ronnie soon. Its nice to see young players with some passion for the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X