ye olde ash cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Have to agree with ADR, even a 1st edition shouldn't go for much more than that IMO.

I think that you can be very lucky or unlucky with selling cues on Ebay. If Craig hadn't got a good reputation as a seller, like me for instance (not that I have a bad reputation I just haven't used Ebay much), he'd be lucky to get over £230 for it. As he has bought and sold a few cues in the past his reputation means that most people believe anything you write in a description. I think putting RARE in the heading has probably raised this cue £150+ above its realistic value.

When you look at Jack Douglas listing for his black plate Robert Osbourne cue, a much better quality cue BTW, is only standing at £240 with a few hours to go, it makes you wonder if cue collectors are mad. That is easily worth £350+ with the case and extention.

BTW Craig, I'm not having a go at you in anyway.

Dont quite agree with Cueman.

Firstly, the 2 cues you have put up for comparison are being brought for totally different purposes. The ye olde ash is a fairly rare collectable cue that most collectors would list within there top 3 most wanted and the Osbourne cue is a modern playing cue of great quality and massive pedigree. One is regarded as a piece of history and the other is a a piece of sporting equipment. Hence its impossible to say one is worth more than the other.

Secondly I feel that when you are in the regions of cues being brought for over 200 pounds then you are dealing with experienced collectors who know there onions and simply are not fooled by words like "rare". I agree that a machine spliced cue thats worth a tenner could be "worded" into a fantastic rare cue that sells for 50 pounds on ebay but I think the cues that are being sold for 200 plus are then being sold to people who are serious about there hobbies and who are very knowledgable.

Lastly a cue on ebay is worth what 2 people are prepared to pay for it. Ebay is a superb valuation guide, an item will almost always reach its market value as long as there are 2 people who want it and with cues there are alot of collectors who alomost always eliminate the chance of getting a bargain. There are occasions where prices for certain cues go crazy and this is almost always because 2 new collectors have just joined ebay and dont realise how common a cue is and what its market value is. for example a Joe Davis 500 break cue is fairly common on ebay for around 60-70 pound and yet one last week sold for 120 pounds.

The reason Craigs cue is selling well is because he has association/dealings with the top collectors around the world which breeds trust. I would anticipate an original Ye olde ash 1st edition would fetch a MINIMUM of £1000and I know of at least 3 collectors who would pay me that today for one.
    http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

ye olde ash.

hi jason. there's a grand waiting here for you!

Comment

Originally Posted by gloveman View Post
        hi jason. there's a grand waiting here for you!
        Lol thanks Gloveman, I will just go and grab one out of the rack.

Have we dealt before? My ebay name was Anoldmate. Ive sold over 400 old cues and never yet held a 1st ed Ye olde ash. Last one I heard to be sold was for 2 grand.

Comment

ye olde ash.

we spoke last year jason about the madam stebor( just about as rare if not rarer than a first ed ye olde ash). did our friend down under get that one?

Comment

HI I GOT A BURROUGHES AND WATTS CHAMPION CUE IN maple ARE THEY very rare NOT SEEN ANY ON EBAY

Comment

Originally Posted by gloveman View Post
              we spoke last year jason about the madam stebor( just about as rare if not rarer than a first ed ye olde ash). did our friend down under get that one?
              Yes Mr Radford has the Madam Strebor. I sent it to Andy Hunter who tends to "hold" the cues for Gordon until he has a few and then sends them altogether. Andy said it was the best Strebor he had ever seen, a nice compliment from a guy who has owned more than most.

Comment

do u think 400 is 2 much for a 2nd edition ye olde ash?
                what about if soeone is using it to play with?

Comment

something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, you would pay £600 for a parris cue to play with, the ye olde ash will always go up in value.
                  Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

BTW people always put rare on burwat champion cues, which are no where near as rare as 2nd edition ye olde ash cues, btw no probs cueman
                    Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

the cue is maple seen ash but not maple

Comment

A BW Champion in maple is worthy of calling rare. Ive only ever seen one and it was in a shocking state so if the one mentioned is mint then I would think it would be worth more than a 2nd ed Ye olde ash.
                        Personally I would put "rare" on every cue I sold on ebay. I dont think anyone can fault a person (Craig) for bigging up every aspect of an item in order to whip up interest and thus have a chance of achieving the best price possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by craigslater View Post
                          something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, you would pay £600 for a parris cue to play with, the ye olde ash will always go up in value.

This is so so true. If the Ye olde ash is a player and you use it for 20 years and look after it then it will be appreciate greatly in price so not onlt have you had value from using it but you gain financial value from owning it.
                          A Parris will still hold a lot of its value but will never be worth more than you paid for it. Plus once John Parris has retired his brand will continue to make cues so they will always be available.

Comment

JasonOwen ok to send pictures see what you think of it do you collect cue

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                              A BW Champion in maple is worthy of calling rare. Ive only ever seen one and it was in a shocking state so if the one mentioned is mint then I would think it would be worth more than a 2nd ed Ye olde ash.
                              Personally I would put "rare" on every cue I sold on ebay. I dont think anyone can fault a person (Craig) for bigging up every aspect of an item in order to whip up interest and thus have a chance of achieving the best price possible.

A maple shafted burwat is rare, i would consider any collectable cue as rare because tracking down good condition cues is getting harder and harder, there are a LOT of cue collectors now compared to maybe 5 years ago.
                              Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Maple BW Champion

Originally Posted by garysnooker View Post
                                JasonOwen ok to send pictures see what you think of it do you collect cue
                                Gary, Yes please send pics to jasonow (at) ntlworld (dot) com
                                I use to collect cues but mainly buy and sell them these days. I have a great network of contacts so send me the pics and I will let you know exactly what you have. Pics need to include the tip end, the butt, the foot of the butt, a clear pic of the badge and details like length, tip size, butt size, weight, straight or not, any dents or dings.
                                I did have one BW Champion in Maple but the splices were coming apart and it was only 56 inches long. It was sold for about £130 about 3 years ago. It was in poor condition though.

Comment

Working...
                                X