Mark Selbys Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Selbys Cue

Does anybody here know if Mark Selby won the World 8 Ball Championships using the same cue he won the recent Snooker Masters?
    If yes then what size tip has it got?
    http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Im not sure about Selby but most will use another cue and wont be using their snooker cue to be playing 8 ball

Comment

No, it must have been a different cue because the one he uses for snooker he only had last season. I do think the cue he used to win the 8 ball was also his regular snooker cue at the time.

Comment

there must be some pictures on the internet that will give you a clue to see if they are the same, most i know like a heavier cue so will change

Comment

When you consider most decent pool players use a maximum tip size of 8mm I was wondering if Mark Selby was using a standard 9.5mm tip and utilising his brilliant cue action to generate the action on the white ball in pool.

Comment

I like to think I am a decent Pool Player and I currently play with an 9.5mm tip.

Having gone from 9mm

A player of Selby's quality could play 8 ball with anything from 12-7mm.

Comment

I can play pool with my snooker cue which is 9.5mm. Because the cue ball is lighter in most cases in 8 ball, it makes it easier to use a bigger tip IMO.

Comment

Less chance of putting side on ball by mistake I find.

A good player like Selby would not have the same problem, has they cue so well....

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                  When you consider most decent pool players use a maximum tip size of 8mm I was wondering if Mark Selby was using a standard 9.5mm tip and utilising his brilliant cue action to generate the action on the white ball in pool.

I think he could use the same cue for both if he wanted to, but I don't know his preference.

I think as Cueman pointed out above, there's less required as far as cue action goes when playing 8 ball pool. The game is played on such a small table, and, (as was already mentioned) the white ball is much lighter than the object balls, so all amounts of stuff can be generated on the white without a problem. The only slight issue would be forcing topspin shots, as the white doesn't have the weight to hold the same driving force as a snooker white ball would.

As for Selby's technique, his whole setup is a bit odd in that he's constantly moving on the shot. If I watch him, he makes me feel seasick with his swaying from side to side. His cue doesn't travel all that flat either, instead it is at a bit of an angle upwards towards his grip.

BUT, what he does do is deliver the cue smack bang accurate, and, very consistently, which is totally priceless to any player. What I like in particular about Selby is his obvious quality to be a competitor, no matter what.

He's a players player in my view and a real class act.
                  Last edited by trevs1; 4 February 2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Id be very suprised if he used the same cue, the proffesional players that i know who have gone from one game to another wouldnt dream of using their snooker cue to play pool with, some of the shots in pool also are played differantly.

Comment

Hey guys,

.......interesting thread, , and I think Mark uses a different cue for pool and snooker as well.

Funnily enough, I spoke to ADR147 earlier in the year to see if he knew what cue Mark uses for snooker, just interested to know more really, and Andy mentioned that he understood that Mark uses 2 cues, a Stamford cue by Paul Roberts, and a Glover cue, although not sure which is for pool, and which is for snooker. And if anyone has any more info, great to know, as I'm also interested in the tip sizes of both cues.

Also spoke to Watford, who is usually logged on here too, and he may have more info as well.

And nice to see interest in what cues Mark uses, thought I was the only Selby fan on here.

Lol......xx
                      sigpic

Comment

Selby uses a Stamford cue for snooker, nice cue it is too. I'd say the tip was between 9mm - 9.5mm, no bigger, no smaller. Don't know whether he plays pool with it, although I think his focus is solely on snooker now, doubt he will play much pool during the snooker season.

Comment

I wouldnt think Mark will play much pool now.
                          I was merely interested to see if he won the 8 Ball World Champs using a 9.5mm tip.
                          I know Pool can be played to a fairly decent level with any size tip but I believe 99% of the pool pros use an 8.5mm tip or smaller.
                          Personally I play pool with a 9mm tip. I have tried an 8mm tip and you can increase more action on the cue ball and yet hit the ball softer. I always think the softer you hit the balls on a 7ft pool table the better. What put me off was that when you softly roll the cue ball the length of the table you could see the unwanted side taking the cue ball off line.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                            Selby uses a Stamford cue for snooker, nice cue it is too. I'd say the tip was between 9mm - 9.5mm, no bigger, no smaller. Don't know whether he plays pool with it, although I think his focus is solely on snooker now, doubt he will play much pool during the snooker season.
                            Hey C,

....thanks for the update/clarification, & it's a shame Mark is not a member of tsf, could ask him then to post some piccies of the cue...

Had another look on his website as well, www.**************, but couldn't find anything either. Ah well, I live in hope..

Lol....xx
                            sigpic

Comment

Well, yesterday afternoon I was talking to the man who actually made Marks cue. Paul Roberts (Stamford Cues) told me that Marks cue is 58in long and he uses a 9.5mm tip. He also told me that the weight of the cue was around 17.75oz.

So much for the false info given out at the last TV event when they said that Marks cue was 57in and 17.5oz!!

Oldgit
                              'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Working...
                              X