Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snooker verterens help! on handspliced snooker cues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker verterens help! on handspliced snooker cues?

Im recently been seeing people selling apparantly "handspliced" snooker cues but they are indeed found out to be painted.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to spot a handspliced cue without having to chip the wood (just in case it is really handspliced and you end up wrecking the cue up)
    And im buying from the net so icant really feel it - plus i woudlnt know what to really feel for. Just let me know if there is something to spot and when it arrives ill check it.

cheers

Just post the makers name and cue and one of the forums cue sellers will be able to tell you

Comment

all i know is that its a ML08

Master Mike Little

Cue length 57 inch

Mini butt 6 inch in ebony

Butt Hand spliced with cocobolo + Ebony

Extension From 18 to 33 inch (new black extension)

Tips 9.5 mm

Weight 19 oz (not include the weight of mini butt)

Comment

Ahh, Always be careful, these 'cue experts' are not experts, I strongly advise buying a cue from Mike Wooldridge or Trevor White, two of the best cue makers in the world, you can be 100% sure that you are getting a handmade cue that is genuinly made, they need not be expensive, the cue makers may be able to help you in different cues that they can make.

Both are regular posters on this forum, Mike's username is mikewooldridge and Trevor's trevs1.

Buy a proper handmade cue, there is not really any way to tell unless you look at the genuine quality of build, mayby a cue expert can correct me if i'm wrong.

These ebay cues are rubbish, they are supposed to make unknowledable Snooker players think that they are better than Ronnie O'Sullivan's cue, i'm not saying that you are unknowledable though.

This is not a advertisement but a piece of advise
        Last edited by bongo; 8 February 2008, 04:23 PM. Reason: Nevverr Speell anythang wroung!!

Comment

cheers mate

Comment

No Probs!

Comment

That ML range is mass produced in China.

However bearing in mind you can buy one with a case and ext's with delivery from China for £50

It a good starter cue for kids or a begineer to cue sport

Comment

you get what you pay for.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

have you seen the cases though? on some of these ebay ones they have the aluminium or whatever case that costs about £40 to buy here. Unless they are different but they look identical..

Comment

they are not the same quality as the ones we have here. same style and design but not the same quality inside and not the same quality of metal

Comment

ML cues

It can be frustrating to buy cues from china, not because of their low cost, but the quality you get is not what you want even you asked for and paid for.

Keep asking them if they are real ebony, they keep saying yes yes yes then what i get is crap dyed black.

So the thing is, not i dislike products from china, but they know the word quality and do not know what it acutally is. They guarantee in words but when u receive them, disappointing.

But remember one thing, you are paying 20 odd quid, so not to expect great stuffs.

I will only get cues from asia only if they can gurantee quality; even in UK, we need to do that.

Comment

agreed - not seen a top quality cue from chna yet - although plenty of good cues come from thailand.

Comment

[QUOTE=mchpddl1;288572]It can be frustrating to buy cues from china, not because of their low cost, but the quality you get is not what you want even you asked for and paid for.

Keep asking them if they are real ebony, they keep saying yes yes yes then what i get is crap dyed black.

So the thing is, not i dislike products from china, but they know the word quality and do not know what it acutally is. They guarantee in words but when u receive them, disappointing.

But remember one thing, you are paying 20 odd quid, so not to expect great stuffs.

I will only get cues from asia only if they can gurantee quality; even in UK, we need to do that.[/
                          QUOTE]

As ADR147 has already said in a previous post on this thread, you only get what you pay for. You seem to want the best of both worlds, but good quality ebony is becoming increasingly scarce, which drives prices up. Even allowing for the cheap labour costs in China, it should be obvious that £20 is not going to buy you a cue made using materials of the kind of quality you seem to expect.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mujy View Post
                            Im recently been seeing people selling apparantly "handspliced" snooker cues but they are indeed found out to be painted.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to spot a handspliced cue without having to chip the wood (just in case it is really handspliced and you end up wrecking the cue up)
                            And im buying from the net so icant really feel it - plus i woudlnt know what to really feel for. Just let me know if there is something to spot and when it arrives ill check it.

cheers
                            Hi Mujy,

I bought a similar one - MA04. The butt is too large for me, so I striped the coating, sanded it to 29mm, and replacing the front splice. I literally cut/peel away the front splice with my Benchmade. If it is ebony how can I peel away the ebony font splice? It is made of stained soft wood. The inside of the cue butt is filled with lead. Actually, I buy it for the cue case which is about the same price in Vancouver.

Now I can feel the difference because the weight distribution is not the same when I compare it with my JP.

When you buy the cue, make sure you know there are many different kinds of ebony, rosewood, and cocobolo. Bazilian Kingwood is also a kind of rosewood. I spent half an hour to hand saw just one foot of it!

Comment

Originally Posted by Mujy View Post
                              all i know is that its a ML08

Master Mike Little

Cue length 57 inch

Mini butt 6 inch in ebony

Butt Hand spliced with cocobolo + Ebony

Extension From 18 to 33 inch (new black extension)

Tips 9.5 mm

Weight 19 oz (not include the weight of mini butt)
                              I think this "master" Mike Little does not exist. They are just making things up to make the cue sound more custom than they really are.
                              I have a friend who got one off ebay. The wood is not painted on.It did coem with the extensions, and case as described. The points were not even either on the top or the bottom. The extension looks quite nice, I am nto sure if they are durable since he just got them. The case looks very cheap to me, it is made of some shinny metal, and just does not look classy at all.
                              Since the buyer lives in Canada, he still paid quite a bit including shipping and such for this cue. I think they try to avoid paying too much ebay fee by making the shipping really high but the final winning bid low.
                              I did not try the hit so i dont know how it plays. Hit is subjective anyway.
                              I dont like the way the cue looks, I think they look cheap. I would rather if the seller say this is a BS or JS or whatever from China, rather than saying it was made by some guy whose name he made up.
                              Just my own opinion.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X