Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeon Cue

Hi,
    Could anyone please tell me a bit about Aeon cue?
    When and where were they made?
    Why did they close?
    How is the hit?
    How is the workmanship?
    Thank you.
    www.AuroraCues.com

They were made in Coventry in England and they are very good cues.

Comment

I once bought a cue and case just for the Cheddar case it came in, one of the first made and I use it still today.

The cue in the case was Aeon and it appeared to have never been used it was a very nice cue with a very long butt joint at 17 inches.
      It came with mini butt and Telescopic all very well made.

They currently hold a good value

They were indeed made in Coventry before they stopped trading.
      They used the same joints has Dragon cues do today if you ever need a joint.
      However Dragon will charge you plenty for it has I once found out to my cost

If you find one you will have a very good quality cue.

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        Hi,
        Could anyone please tell me a bit about Aeon cue?
        When and where were they made?
        Why did they close?
        How is the hit?
        How is the workmanship?
        Thank you.
        Great cues, very nice quality workmanship & normally exceptional quality ash shafts used, and the finish very smooth. As per previous post made in Coventry late 80's early 90's then went of of business mid-late 90's. I'm from West Midlands and lots of us have Aeon cues including some of our best local players who wouldn't use anything else.
        Not sure how popular Aeon was outside the West Midlands area which maybe was the problem and I presume as with most things they closed because they weren't making money.
        Funny thing is i think there more sought after now than they were when they were being made had they have been in business a while longer things could have been different.
        In summary exceptional build quality & materials used, great playing cues and i've not seen a bad one, and in my opinion they compare very favourably to most of our leading cue makers.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
          Great cues, very nice quality workmanship & normally exceptional quality ash shafts used, and the finish very smooth. As per previous post made in Coventry late 80's early 90's then went of of business mid-late 90's. I'm from West Midlands and lots of us have Aeon cues including some of our best local players who wouldn't use anything else.
          Not sure how popular Aeon was outside the West Midlands area which maybe was the problem and I presume as with most things they closed because they weren't making money.
          Funny thing is i think there more sought after now than they were when they were being made had they have been in business a while longer things could have been different.
          In summary exceptional build quality & materials used, great playing cues and i've not seen a bad one, and in my opinion they compare very favourably to most of our leading cue makers.
          Do you know the cuemaker of Aeon and if they still make cues? I just saw one at a competition, and as you say, the shaft wood and finish were fantastic. I'd love a cue made by the same person.

Daniel

Comment

Thank you everyone.
            Would you describe the hit as being very stiff?
            Is the double brass ring used on all Aeon cues? Is it sort of like a trade mark?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Not long back I sold a top of the range Aeon Special cue. It was a gorgeous cue with the badge being a 2 inch front splice of brass with Aeon stamped into it and a Ltd edition number (This was 164). I had the original sales promo sheet which went with the cue, that had the full line up of Aeons range. Original price back in 1987 was £280, I sold it on ebay for £170. A bargain really. I would post pics on here but havent a clue how. The only thing I dont like about them is that the joint has 2 brass rings, the top one is purely decorative and the "ebony" between the 2 joints is in fact a plastic ring. Just concerns how this will wear (or crack) over a few years of use.
              http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                Thank you everyone.
                Would you describe the hit as being very stiff?
                Is the double brass ring used on all Aeon cues? Is it sort of like a trade mark?
                From the Aeons i've used I would say a very solid hit with the shaft of the right stiffness & feel to play the modern game well.
                They did use different joint types i've seen at least 3 different types, i think the brass double ring were used in there top end cues, i have a machine spliced Aeon with 2.5" long brass thread which actually is one of the best i've used, the workmanship is so good you can't even feel the joint when you run your hand across it, one of the hall marks of a well made cue i think.

Comment

Originally Posted by JasonOwen View Post
                  Not long back I sold a top of the range Aeon Special cue. It was a gorgeous cue with the badge being a 2 inch front splice of brass with Aeon stamped into it and a Ltd edition number (This was 164). I had the original sales promo sheet which went with the cue, that had the full line up of Aeons range. Original price back in 1987 was £280, I sold it on ebay for £170. A bargain really. I would post pics on here but havent a clue how. The only thing I dont like about them is that the joint has 2 brass rings, the top one is purely decorative and the "ebony" between the 2 joints is in fact a plastic ring. Just concerns how this will wear (or crack) over a few years of use.
                  i remember that cue it was very nice its the only 1 i have ever seen was your ebay name an old mate by any chance.

Comment

Aeon listed on Ebay item no 220205654251

However it don't look the real deal ? has the joints on all the Aeon I have had were large spiral type.

So it may be a fake

Comment

Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
                      Aeon listed on Ebay item no 220205654251

However it don't look the real deal ? has the joints on all the Aeon I have had were large spiral type.

So it may be a fake
                      Well spotted Bitter it isn't a genuine Aeon joint, it looks like a Trevor White joint though actually to me, it might be the cues genuine but has had the joint replaced, maybe Trevs can answer that one, i might be wrong.

Comment

used to have a very nice hand spliced aeon 15 years ago but with a spirolock joint this does not look right to me IMHO
                        Last edited by nlm247; 17 March 2008, 02:56 PM. Reason: mispelt

Comment

Originally Posted by nlm247 View Post
                          used to have a very nice hand sliced aeon 15 years ago but with a spirolock joint this does not look right to me IMHO
                          "hand sliced" sounds like a loaf of bread....

Comment

aeon cue

i bought my aeon cue off ebay a few years ago , paid around £50 for it . the cue has a plain brass type joint with a long thread , jointed at 17.5 inches and the ebony butt totals approx. 24" in length . there are green and blue veneers and a brass coloured round badge in the butt with 'aeon cues , coventry , england ' around the edge , just had it refinished too and looks a treat .
                            does anyone know the cue model at all or seen one similar ?
                            thanks tony

Comment

i too had an aeon cue around 4 or 5 years back, bought it off ebay, it was a nice cue to play with but didnt look very nice, the joint was a long, thin thread if i remember rightly, paid about £25 for it, used it for a little while but it was very heavy, around 22oz if i remember, so i sold it on ebay for about £50 about a year back.

you'd have thought if the original maker of aeon cues started back up he'd do very well nowadays eh?

i'm sure his name was steve, but cant remember the last name, but wasnt he welsh?

Comment

Working...
                              X