Differences in a pool/snooker cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in a pool/snooker cue?

What is the difference between a pool and snooker cue?

Is the only difference in tip size? If I went to a cue maker and asked for a pool and snooker cue, what would be the differences?

I've got a KCE Ken Doherty cue with a standard tip and I've played snooker with it, at the expense of any sort of cue ball control. Snooker cue balls are smaller than UK pool cue balls, right?

Also, what is the best size taper? Does a small size help improve one's cue stability over a large(r) taper?

Thanks

Pool (normal UK 8 ball) uses smaller balls than snooker.

Pool cues = smaller tip, 8.5 or 9mm would be most common. Generally about the same as a snooker cue other than that. Generally a slimmer taper than a snooker cue.

Snooker cue tips tend to be more common at 9, 9.5 or 10mm.

Obviously there's a lot of variation with each though.

Comment

While snooker cue shaft linearly gets thinner towards the tip american pool cue profile is more of a pear shape.
      Last edited by vuce; 26 March 2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by vuce View Post
        While snooker cue shaft linearly gets thinner towards the tip american pool cue profile is more of a pear shape.
        Lol, what kind of cues do you have in Russia, I've never seen a pool cue that you describe? Predator, McDermott etc. are all linearly thinner towards the tip, just roll the cue on the table and you'll see.

Comment

When I say pool cue I mean UK 8 ball pool cue.

I'm thinking of taking up snooker so wondering about the cue.

I thought snooker balls were smaller? They are lighter than pool balls though, right?

Thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
            Lol, what kind of cues do you have in Russia, I've never seen a pool cue that you describe? Predator, McDermott etc. are all linearly thinner towards the tip, just roll the cue on the table and you'll see.
            I'd say similar to yours in Norway.

click me gently

pool cues have same diameter from tip onwards for about 40 cm.

Hope i made it clear this time.
            Last edited by vuce; 27 March 2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by -Blade- View Post
              When I say pool cue I mean UK 8 ball pool cue.

I'm thinking of taking up snooker so wondering about the cue.

I thought snooker balls were smaller? They are lighter than pool balls though, right?

Thanks
              Like has been said for UK 8 ball no difference really. I play both with my cue which is 9.2ish around 9 is fine for both. My mate plays pool with an 8 and finds it too small for snooker. Phil Harrison the pool pro uses a 10mm most use 8ish. I think 9 is good. Snooker players tend to be 9-10mm.

Snooker balls are heavier and larger than UK pool balls. Snooker I think are
              2 1/16" maybe bigger and pool 2" with a 1 7/8" white

Comment

Around 9mm would be ideal for UK 8 ball and snooker. You can obviously choose what you want but those tip sizes will be very useable for each game.

Comment

there are no hard and fast rules but in general an 8 ball cue will be 55-57" and have a tip between 8-9mm and a snooker cue will be 57-59" and have a tip between 9-10mm
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by vuce View Post
                    I'd say similar to yours in Norway.

click me gently

pool cues have same diameter from tip onwards for about 40 cm.

Hope i made it clear this time.
                    Ah, I was lost in translation there! Btw, I'm NOT from Norway!

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
                      Ah, I was lost in translation there! Btw, I'm NOT from Norway!
                      And i'm not from russia

apology to the author for going off-topic on this

Comment

This is probably the perfect question for me to answer !!
                        The difference is cue spec, I'm sure that most of you know the cue you use is always down to personal preference, but to get the best help from a cue when playing UK pool you will need a smaller tip than a standard 9mm - 10mm most commonly used for snooker, around 8-5mm give or take a little is best, weight is a very important factor when playing uk pool, using a heavy cue is a defo no no, using a heavy cue makes it almost impossible to hold the white, what I mean by holding the white is if you set up a half ball shot to a corner pocket, pot the object ball while trying to stop the white from traveling any distance, with a heavy cue ( 18oz + ) you will find that it's very hard to stop the white in a short distance , when using a light cue (16oz or less ) its much easier to stop the white from traveling, obviously this is very important when playing a positional shot on such a small table.
                        You can always make the cue ball travel further, simply hit the shot harder but you can't beat the laws of physics when trying to put the breaks on !!
                        www.greenbaize.com

Comment

From what ive seen generally 8 ball pool cues seem to be made a little shorter and with a smaller ferrule/tip.

I cant get on with most of these for pool as they are simply too short. My pool cue is 58" with a ~8.8mm tip, it weighs in at ~16.5oz. For me this is more or less ideal. My ideal snooker cue spec is not far off this, same length but with a slightly larger tip (9-9.2) and slightly heavier. (around 17.5oz)

Comment

Length won't make a difference to how a cue plays, it's down to what suits you .
                            I think some players prefer to use a slightly shorter cue for pool , as you never need the extra length to play power shots .
                            My snooker cue spec is 18oz , length 58" , tips size 9-5mm
                            Pool cue is 16oz , 58" & 8-5mm
                            Last edited by GreenBaize; 27 March 2008, 10:08 PM.
                            www.greenbaize.com

Comment

I did realise you recommended such light cues for pool. I like a light myself my current cue is 16 3/4 oz. I wanted a light cue after playing with an old 14oz at Craftsman (I didn't buy it thought it was too light, changed my mind went back to Leeds for it but it was gone). My cue was 16 1/4oz but Trevor refinished the cue for me after I dented it and he but the extra weight in then because I was finding it a little light. I know Chris Melling used to have a light cue but I thought most of the pros played with normal snooker weighted cues. Certainly most of the player I know up to county type standard have heavier cues than me.
                              I don't really play snooker any more either maybe I should have stayed lighter!

I remember reading somewhere that Carl Morris thought that 9mm was best because it was best of both but I think he's got an 8mm. I'll look for it!

Comment

Working...
                              X