X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was on:
    http://www.uk8ball.com/faq.php?show=1&id_cat=4

Question
    A lot of the younger players coming through in our leagues in York are obsessed with tapering their cue tips to 6-7-8mm. Though I agree that screwing the white is easier with the smaller tip the number of miscues is alarming.

Answer
    Your reply from Carl Morris.. Six and Seven millimetre tips are by far too small. To become the best with a tip so small, one would have to play the game 20-30% better than the best in the world just to equal what the top ones achieve. The fact that the tip is so small would mean the accuracy must be perfect, and no less. It will not allow for leeway. I use an 8-8.5 mill tip, and it gives me the minimum of leeways. Phil Harrison uses a 10 mill tip and he is one of the best potters in the game. My control is one of the best (without sounding big-headed) but my potting is not the best. So, in my opinion, try and get used to a 9 mill tip, and that way you are giving yourself as much leeway, and therefore maximising your potting chances, yet giving yourself a tip small enough to control the white. You do not need a tip smaller than 8mm at the most. Just look at the top players in the world. None of them use tips smaller than 8mm.

Comment

My new cue will be 8mm. When I stopped playing pool with a standard snooker cue (8mm 58in) and started playing with a good pool cue that was 8.5mm and 56in long it took some getting used to, and a few terrible shots. But for pool if you can get used to either 8 or 8.5 it makes a difference.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

I'll probably need a seperate snooker cue.

What's the deal with weight - does a heavier cue help with spin (I read this somewhere) not sure if on here or somewhere else.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X