Comment

• can see that whats the thing at end of ebony splicing another joint

Comment

• Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
          can see that whats the thing at end of ebony splicing another joint
          no its more ebony little splices
          http://files.vandeweyerstudios.be/tw/cues/tw_71.jpg

Comment

• wouldnt no were to start with that one ?

Comment

• that is the cue i want made one day, with some slight pattern alterations

Comment

• Very nice cue mate, beautiful pics
                77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

• Should be having a new bute to post pics of soon....

It's been a long old wait with a few mishaps along the way but the end is nigh....

Not long now, phew... the wait has been a killer, Can't wait to get my mitts on my new cue aye.......................

Been a while.

Comment

• Nice one cally
                    Can you remember how to play tho lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Nice one cally
                      Can you remember how to play tho lol
                      Hmmmm, I remember where to put the colours on what spots and not i think....

Int played or been near a snooker table since last may (ish).........

Not good really, but hey ho, that's how my game has always been really looking back (hence the sig)...

Comment

• Well for fun, here's my setup. For what it's worth I'm a tournament player and gambler, so all of my cues are made for battle and any beauty they may have is purely accidental. That said they are fairly beautiful in their own way, I think. They're certainly unique.

Moving left to right, the first are my pool cues:

My playing cue is a Schon with two 'pre-cat' Predator shafts. It's about 18.5 oz and the tips are about 12.2mm. I've had it like 12 years now and it's won me tens of thousands. I favor a Le Professional tip at present, but that could change anytime.

The break cue is the prototype of the Gulyassey Sledge Hammer. It's about 17.9oz and has a 13mm tip. If you're familiar at all with phenolic tips the Sledge Hammer was the first one made with one, and this was the first one Mike made. It's also a jump cue, though I never use it for that.

Next up are some utility cues:

On top is a J&J jump/break cue that I bought for about $40, mostly as a backup for my SH. More on that later.

The bottom cue is a basic "Bungee" jump cue with a fibreglass and leather tip and is my primary jumper. The fibreglass tip is so good you can jump virtually anything.

The most interesting one to me is the one in the middle, which is actually a Stealth "Masse" cue, which is made just for the masse shot. I picked it up just for fun but it has come in handy a time or two. It's about 48" long, has a 12.6mm tip and weighs in at about 23oz. If you like watching the cue ball do some crazy, whacko stuff, this is the cue for you!

Okay so now on to snooker:

This is a "Mast" cue by Trevor White, which I've had about four years now. It started life as a maple, but the previous owner had an ash shaft made for it by cuemaker Bernie Mikkelson so now I have my choice, though I use the ash shaft about 99.9% of the time. The joint was also redone by a local cue repairman, and I think he did a great job. I like the black fiber collars on the joint and how they match up with the ebony and the black fiber ferrule. It makes the cue look very sleek.

The weighs about 17.5 oz and each shaft has a 10mm tip. Now I know the tips look pretty rough in the pictures -- like a dog chewed on them, one of my friends says -- but that's kind of how I like them. I had a real pretty tip on for a while but it was too soft so I put a Le Professional on as an experiment and barely sanded it or anything, and ever since I've run about 20 centuries, so I probably won't be fixing it any time soon.

What's neat about this cue is that originally it didn't come with any extension fittings, so I managed to find the female fitting of the bungee jump cue that I use and had that inserted in the butt. That way since I usually was always carrying my jump cue in my case anyways I always had that extension handy. Later I found one of those cheap Smart Extenders that had the same joint for like $5, and then later found the J&J jump/break that had all of the same fittings as well. As a result I can mix and match all the pieces to make whatever size extension I want. That saves a lot of space in my cue case. I like the wood extensions much better than the aluminum ones as well, so it works well for me. The messy stuff you see on the one big piece is because I wanted a little more grip on the J&J break cue, so I wrapped it with hockey tape, then peeled the tape off to give it a gummy feel. I know that will make some of you cringe, but it worked for me, lol.

Okay, so last up is this baby, which I happen to think is the most unique one going...

Doesn't look like much, does it? Except this happens to be a American made SouthWest cue, made in about 1983 by Jerry Franklin himself. For those not familiar with the American cue makers, Jerry was one of the all time greats, along with guys like Harry Balabushka and Gus Szamboti. He passed away in the early 90s and his cues are extremely sought after by all serious players in the US. This is without a doubt the only snooker cue he ever made, and it's a beauty. Like I say, it doesn't look like much but it has the original SouthWest joint and plays just like a dream. It's also for sale, just in case anyone is interested in picking up a one-of-a-kind cue. It has two shafts and everything on it except for the linen wrap is original, including the finish and the ferrules, but I'm going to have it refinished here one of these days and get it looking new again. It's got a lot of miles on it and needs a facelift.

Believe it or not, this funny old cue might be one of the most expensive cues shown on this forum. Strange world, huh?

So that's my collection. Hope you like it.
                        Last edited by dinovirus; 19 January 2012, 01:13 AM.
                        Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

• Great pics and a nice write up, not my cup of tea, but great to see none the less, those tips do look awful tho

Comment

• That cue you said is a Southwest snooker cue, made by Jerry, pre-cactus...you have a COA from Laurie by any chance?

Any picture of the bumper and what it looks like with the bumper removed, please?
                            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 19 January 2012, 10:02 AM.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                              That cue you said is a Southwest snooker cue, made by Jerry, pre-cactus...you have a COA from Laurie by any chance?

Any picture of the bumper and what it looks like with the bumper removed, please?
                              No COA, but I know the exact history of the cue. It was made by Jerry for Henry Nojeak, the owner of the Las Vegas Cue Club. Henry is Canadian and a decent snooker player, and he makes regular trips up here, and he sold it to a player in my area. That guy had it for close to 30 years, and sold it only just recently, which is how I came to get my paws on it.

Here is a pic of the bumper. I can't take it out because it's actually still the original one, and it's so worn that the only way to get it out is to cut it, and I don't want to do that just yet. You can tell from the pics that it's the proper style, though. It's Southwest through and through.

By the way, if I decided to keep it, would you be able to make me an ash shaft for it? I might be interested in that.
                              Last edited by dinovirus; 19 January 2012, 04:57 PM.
                              Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

• Originally Posted by dinovirus View Post
                                No COA, but I know the exact history of the cue. It was made by Jerry for Henry Nojeak, the owner of the Las Vegas Cue Club. Henry is Canadian and a decent snooker player, and he makes regular trips up here, and he sold it to a player in my area. That guy had it for close to 30 years, and sold it only just recently, which is how I came to get my paws on it.

Here is a pic of the bumper. I can't take it out because it's actually still the original one, and it's so worn that the only way to get it out is to cut it, and I don't want to do that just yet. You can tell from the pics that it's the proper style, though. It's Southwest through and through.

By the way, if I decided to keep it, would you be able to make me an ash shaft for it? I might be interested in that.
                                You can get the cue refinished by Laurie, get a COA from her, and get extra shafts made by her. If you want to sell such a cue you should get a COA. May be have the wrap changed by Laurie, too. I suspect it came with a different colored wrap originally.

Sorry. I dont make ash shaft for another cue like that.

By the way, Jerry started making cues around 82-83. If your friend bought the cue from the original owner then sold it to you the original owner must have sold it right after he got it.

BTW, it is George Balabushka, not Harry. :-)

Thanks for the pictures.
                                Last edited by poolqjunkie; 19 January 2012, 05:22 PM.
                                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                                X