can i use 8mm tip to play snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i use 8mm tip to play snooker?

i know most player are use 9.5 mm tip to play snooker.however i just feel confident to use smaller tip to play snooker like 8mm i just wondering whether i can use it to play snooker or not? Any effects? Thanks

Well the risk of the cue shaft splitting near the ferrule will be higher. Your sighting and general cue action will have to be very accurate as there’s less tip surface hitting the cue ball. I personally haven’t played snooker with an 8mm tip for any length of time, so I don’t know how long your cue will last before it develops a split. Perhaps one of the cue builders on here may be able to better answer the question than me.

Comment

the cue i use is john parris regal the shaft is made of maple have been used for 6 years the shaft still very good

Comment

You could use a tip that small but you would not be that consistant, your cueing would have to be spot on due to the unwanted side you might put on the cue ball etc, and the heavier snooker balls will do your tip and ferrule no good over the long term, unless your playing on a very fast table and not having to hit the balls that hard.
        Welsh Is Best

Comment

Anything under about 8.5mm is getting a bit small for snooker in my view, but you can use a ferrule that size if you really want to. The one thing you'll have to bare in mind though, is that it's more likely to give you problems as Son of Cliff mentiones above.

If that doesn't bother you, give it a go.

Comment

Your just making a hard sport slightly harder.

Has Mike and Trev said no reason you can't use 8mm it just means you need to be **** hot

Comment

thanks for ur comments guys.i think i still need to use the cue for a while coz replace a new tip for my old cue should be a problem coz goes from 8mm to 9.5mm maybe need to be done by professional cue maker

Comment

There's an old thread somewhere where I mentioned the owner of my local club whose pool break is awesome. He used an antique hickory shafted cue with an 8mm tip and watching him break I wondered which would shatter first the cue or the balls. Not sure how long he'd been playing with it but he was adamant it did no harm. Last month or so though he's changed his cue, "she died" was all he admits to. I imagine he had it turned down from a 10 /11 mm snooker cue originally and played old rules pool with it for a few years and when taking to world rules where everyone power breaks he never considered a break cue so it's eventually bit the dust. His new cue, another vintage one but ash is 8mm and that'll go the same way I've no doubt it's just a matter of time.

Turning one from 8mm to 9.5mm comes at the expense of losing some length the amount of which depends on the taper and that lost length may be more detrimental to your game than the advantage of a bigger tip. If you take a decent photo aiming to get it true life size of say the top 12" alongside a rule and post it here then maybe a cue builder could give you an indication of how much shorter it'd be if made to 9 mm or more. If you can't photo it state where your located and surely someone could direct you to a local builder who could tell you once he's seen it as posting it away to say JP with instructions to make it 9.5 is going to cost you £20 or so in postage alone.

9mm I reckon is ideal if you use the same cue for both games but that's just my opinion and looking at my own cues I'd guess about an inch could be lost if you went from 8mm to 9mm.

Comment

i think probably the narrowest tip i have seen on a snooker table is used or was used ( not sure if he still plays a bit of snooker) is from 2 time 8 ball world champ Jason Twist, think his pool tip is about 7mm and I have seen him make 100's on a snooker table but would imagine Jason is very much an acception to the rule
                  Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
                    i think probably the narrowest tip i have seen on a snooker table is used or was used ( not sure if he still plays a bit of snooker) is from 2 time 8 ball world champ Jason Twist, think his pool tip is about 7mm and I have seen him make 100's on a snooker table but would imagine Jason is very much an acception to the rule
                    Great pool player have not seen him on Sky for a while, is he still playing in the competitions?
                    Welsh Is Best

Comment

My Dad plays snooker with on old Riley Burwat that is 8mm with no problems!
                      He smashes everything about too and like I say the cue is over 30 years old and has taken all the punishment.
                      Having said that I would necessarily recommend it!
                      My other mate had a 8mm that he must of snapped the end off 4 times!

Comment

If your old mans owt like you I bet its got a few dents in it too.

btw did you ever post a pic of yours?

Comment

Dents he's knocked a big chuck off the butt!

No never did I took some pictures though!
                          Hmm I'll try remember to do it when I get home!

Comment

Originally Posted by shuquanchen View Post
                            i know most player are use 9.5 mm tip to play snooker.however i just feel confident to use smaller tip to play snooker like 8mm i just wondering whether i can use it to play snooker or not? Any effects? Thanks
                            all i can say use what you feel comfy with...its trial and error....

christ if youre succesfull with it use a broom handle lol

Comment

I did send a message to John,below is his replied

"Hi Shuquan

Yes we can change the tip size to 9.5mm, but we will have to extend the cue back to it original length the cost will be

tip and ferrule to 9.5mm £28-00

to extend to the to its original length £80-00

Regards,

Parris Cues"

however i think i will better stick on the 8mm cue i got,coz if i need to pay 108 pound for the change the cue tip and extend the cue length, my original cue will loose the spec when it was made. I think no matter what cue u got, if u can't paly well thers is no significant change after u buy a better cue, u can buy a better cue but u can't buy a better player

Comment

Working...
                              X