Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a new cue

Hi everyone

First time on here and looking for some opinions.

I am currently in my first season in our local snooker league after many years of playing pool. It’s gone better than I expected, but I am now looking at buying a better cue.

My current one was adapted years ago to suit pool and has a 7.5 – 8mm tip, which is probably on the small side for snooker, but I am used to using a smaller size.

I want a ¾ type cue with extendable extension, but I’m not looking to pay the sort of amount for a custom built cue.

Most of the ones I have seen on the internet and Ebay are 57 inches. My current one is 58 and even then at 6ft 2inch tall I find I hold it right at the end of the butt. I know it will be each to their own, but would someone of my height normally need a longer cue?

I also prefer a lighter cue of about 17 oz and most standard ones seem to be 19 oz.

I would rather try out a cue in a shop rather than take pot look over the net. I am in the Lancs area.

Can anyone offer some general advice on where to start, where to look and if I am likely to find an ‘off the shelf’ cue that will suit my preferences without breaking the bank. I was looking to pay no more than £100 but might be persuaded to go another £50 if I was convinced otherwise.

Check out Cuecraft they have a good range of cues in your price range and they also supply to most of the clubs in the UK, I would suggest going to your local club and asking if they have a range of cues in stock from which you can try to buy, most clubs have a stash out back somewhere even if they do not openly advertise that they sell cues.

I think Mike Wooldridge has a few handmade cues in this price range he is getting rid of at the moment, they are not made by him but they look quite good, PM him, his username on the forum is mikewooldridge

Comment

have a look a www.craftsmancues.com they have a good range £115 onwards you can choose 1 from stock or have 1 made for same price ie weight, lenght ,tip size and 1,2 or 3 quarter.for the money they are the best cues out there.

Comment

I concur but I say go to Craftsman. If your in Lancs you can be there in less than an hour. They have second hand cues as well as their own stuff and you can try them on a full size table. I pop in if I'm in Yorkshire and spend a fun hour there. I bought a cue for a friend there which was about £130 and it's as good as some £200 pound cues I've seen. They will have loads of different tips sizes lengths and weights. Only thing is it's a lottery of what they have in on the day.

Another alternative is Clares I mean Thurstons in Liverpool. They only have Peradons but you can try tham on a 3/4 table. Peradons are 58" standard.
        I wouldn't get a cuecraft cue! Seen some bad ones!

There is a small shop in Manchester Levenshulme I think. I've only been there once but the stock a range from Wolldridge down to cheapy Chinese rubbish.

Comment

I've never played with a craftsman but based on a huge amount of good reviews and comments on here I ordered a majestic built to the spec below for £155.

1piece
          56inch length
          18oz
          8mm tip

really looking forward to it
          Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Deffinatly best value cuemaker!
            If you've got more money to spend I'd go to Trevor.
            But I bet you get a great cue for the money!

Comment

17oz is very light for a 3/4 cue with a butt joint.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Cheers. thanks for the advice.

I will contact Craftmans to see what they have in store that's close to my preferences and arrange to go over there and check them out.

I think my current cue is 17oz and will take it with me as I would like to match the weight.

ADR147 - Does a 3/4 que need to be heavier or something? I did think it would make any difference if it was 3/4 or 1/2 weighing thesame?

Comment

the joints are heavy a 3/4 cue from craftsman is unlikely to be 17oz
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I think generally the more metal you stick in a cue the heavier it will be.
                    1oz for the joint and another 1oz for a butt joint weather it's 2 piece or 3/4. It is possible to find a cue that is 17oz and has these bits though.
                    I like a light cue myself my cue is less than 17oz but it doesn't have any metal bits in it!
                    They should have something in that fits the bill.
                    Try loads though you might stumble upon something that you like. Playing with lots of cues there helped me decide what I wanted.
                    It's not a massive place but it's worth a visit.
                    Another good chap to visit is Stu Green Greenbaize (they have a website) he stocks a range and is connected to a club where you can try the cues but he's right up in Stockton so you need to be in the North East already really.

Comment

Working...
                    X