Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip question to all...

Hey all...
    I got my first cue a while ago, and i am now facing a bit of a problem.
    I tend to always use the cue with the flat of the butt facing the ceiling in my hand, and because of that, everytime i screw a shot its the same area of the tip that gets used, the tip is now a month old, and i can see that the side getting hit ( the top) is getting flat and mushrooming towards the ferrul.
    Is this normal and should i just reshape it, is it just a dodgy tip and should i change it ( its an elkmaster ), or should i just try to use every side of the tip and turn it every shot.
    What do all of you do, hold the cue always the same way or alternate?
    Thank you

Originally Posted by Carlos840 View Post
    Hey all...
    I got my first cue a while ago, and i am now facing a bit of a problem.
    I tend to always use the cue with the flat of the butt facing the ceiling in my hand, and because of that, everytime i screw a shot its the same area of the tip that gets used, the tip is now a month old, and i can see that the side getting hit ( the top) is getting flat and mushrooming towards the ferrul.
    Is this normal and should i just reshape it, is it just a dodgy tip and should i change it ( its an elkmaster ), or should i just try to use every side of the tip and turn it every shot.
    What do all of you do, hold the cue always the same way or alternate?
    Thank you
    Yes, you need a shaper, a scuff and a spike. Buy a Cuetec 3 in 1.
    Last edited by snookaman; 11 April 2008, 06:51 AM.

Comment

The tools mentioned above are not necessary Carlos840, what is happening is normal.

Most players (just like you do) will hold the cue facing the same way, shot after shot, so obviously, the tip will strike the white ball at the same points time after time. Now, if we consider how the game is played, and, consider the weight of a snooker ball on the tip of a cue, the points below will become clear.

Snooker is a mainly stun/screw game, with topspin shots being played (on average) less frequently. Now, if we think of the weight of a cueball on the tip of a cue, especially when a cueball is struck well below centre, more of the 'weight' of that cueball is felt against the tip. By comparison, when shots are played with topspin, the weight of the cueball is not felt against the tip quite so much, because the effects of gravity are not as noticeable on the contact.

So to summarise, the tip will wear and compress MORE when playing shots below the centre line of the ball, due to the effects of increased weight, simply because of gravity.

This wear you are noticing on your tip is normal and perfectly ok, and, should NOT be sanded out because 'It is the shape the tip has compressed into and will not affect your play'.

The slight mushrooming you can see is also nothing to worry about, but, can be trimmed away with a very sharp blade (like a Stanley blade) if you want to remove it, but it isn't really necessary. If the mis-shaping is extreme, then perhaps replacing the tip for one which is not quite so soft will help to keep its shape better, but if it is fairly slight, you don't need to be too concerned about it.

Comment

Obviouly Trevs knows his stuff but I just thought I'd add that people who fiddle with there tips all the time are never happy. When I've got a new one I keep an eye on it for a few days and reshape a little but then I try to leave it as much as possible.
        I just use a fine sandpaper to reshape, the fancy tool have not been as goo for me.
        But I'm always open to ideas!

Comment

Thank you trevor, your answers are always really clear...
          My problem is that i feel like the top edge of the tip got really flat, and i cant hit the cueball as low as before anymore! Yesterday i even sent it flying out of the table twice trying to screw, never happened to me in snooker before, was a little embarassing!!!

Comment

Oh I've done that!
            In proper matches too!
            Usually when I'm over stretching!

Try re shaping it get some fine sandpaper/wet and dry something like that.
            I sand down at an angle and turn the cue as I go. Just do a little at a time and it will shape up.
            If it's still crap replace it!

Comment

Working...
            X