Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advantages of using 8.5mm tip size in snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advantages of using 8.5mm tip size in snooker?

Hiya,

Can anyone explain what advantages and disadvantages of using small tip for playing snooker? i saw many cues are actually with such a small size, such as 8.5mm. Many thanks.

Mostly you will find a snooker cue with a tip under 9mm is really for English pool wherin the balls are a bit lighter. Pool players like a smaller tip as they reckon they can get more "action" on the ball.
    Under 9mm and being used for snooker is ok but rarely found as the narrower the tip the bigger the risk of damaging the shaft with power shots.

If you play both 9mm is ideal imo but each to his own.

Comment

A few players now are prefering tip sizes around 8.5mm to 9mm. The only real benefits are its easier to generate spin on the cueball. The only problem is its also easier to impart unintentional side spin which can lead to missing more pots. If you have a very straight cue action then its not a problem, but most players don't have this ability.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        A few players now are prefering tip sizes around 8.5mm to 9mm. The only real benefits are its easier to generate spin on the cueball. The only problem is its also easier to impart unintentional side spin which can lead to missing more pots. If you have a very straight cue action then its not a problem, but most players don't have this ability.
        This is my second attempt to give good quality advise and yet again cueman has beat me to it
        Highest Break
        Practice: 136 (2005)
        Match: 134 (2006)
        In 2011: 94
        Centuries made: 50+

Comment

The only problem is its also easier to impart unintentional side spin

I disagree there, it's easier to hit the center of the ball with a smaller tip. The miscue's come from putting more spin on the white than what's needed.

Comment

Thanks for your explanations; i suppose the amount of unintentional spins when using small tip is also dependent on the shaft stiffness.?

Comment

I disagree there, it's easier to hit the center of the ball with a smaller tip....
              And how do you reckon that is? I was tempted to write that comment was rubbish, but I've got to hear this.

Comment

A guy at my old club used to play with a tip between 8 to 8.5mm, he could generate lots of spin and side with shots, but as stated above he sacrificed a bit of accuracy as the unintentional side/spin he got with shots would leave him a little out of position, especially if he was coming off a cushion or two.

Comment

Originally Posted by RonnieJunior View Post
                  And how do you reckon that is? I was tempted to write that comment was rubbish, but I've got to hear this.

Draw two circles with say a 12" diameter on a piece of paper then make a pinpick in the center of one just using you eyes to judge it. Then stick the pin in a tennis ball or simlar and then holding the ball do the same to the 2nd circle. More often than not i'd say the firstpinpick is more central.

(Never tried it btw, but it's the best explanation i could think of )

Comment

Originally Posted by Wity View Post
                    The only problem is its also easier to impart unintentional side spin

I disagree there, it's easier to hit the center of the ball with a smaller tip. The miscue's come from putting more spin on the white than what's needed.
                    Probably a daft analogy but anyway, imagine that the centre of the cue ball is say a 1p on the floor. You have a £1 coin and from one inch above the floor you drop it 10 times on the trot on to the 1p, your aim being to hide the 1p from view. I come along with my £2 coin and do the same thing. Which of us do you think is going to get most consistent coverage of the 1p, i.e. the centre of the cueball? I'll bet my £2 to your £1.

Comment

In that case I'm saying the center of the one pound coin will be nearer the center of the penny than the center of the £2 coin will be.

If I wanted to cover it I'd dop a bin lid on it.

Comment

Am not sure if its ever possible to hit the middle of the white with any tip, however, I'd say it is easier to hit more of the meat of the ball (i.e. get a more central strike) with a larger tip.

Comment

Maybe everyone's "right" in this discussion, but in differing senses:

- the smaller tip will more precisely find the center, BUT the margin of error is a lot smaller, and being just a tad off will add unwanted side or screw

- the larger tip will cover more area so the center will be included more easily at the strike point, but so will an area surrounding the center that may not be precisely in the middle
                          "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Originally Posted by mchpddl1 View Post
                            Hiya,

Can anyone explain what advantages and disadvantages of using small tip for playing snooker? i saw many cues are actually with such a small size, such as 8.5mm. Many thanks.
                            Most cue markers generally agreed that 9.5mm as the standard for average snooker players. 9.5mm will give the best balance between intentional and unintendtional spins. The 9mm is the mininum for advanced snooker players who can master more unintentional spin that is produced with this smaller tip size.

There is an assumption that you are playing with 2 1/16 inches Tournament Snooker balls.

With larger balls for smaller pool tables, the tip size of the cue goes from 10-13mm depending on the size of the ball and table that you are playing. And the average is 12mm.

With smaller than 2 1/16" balls, the tip size should be between 8-8.5mm

I have never used a tip size smaller than 9mm because I play 2 1/16" balls most of the time. I do agree that a 9mm cue tip can perform jump shoot better than the 9.5mm.

Comment

Working...
                            X