Re-finishing shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by mattyuk View Post
    sorry adr but why post twice, i already posted it above..
    Because it's a sales tactic! lol go on someone post it again :snooker:.

Well I'm going to need to buy wax from ebay anyway because it seems to be the easiest way for me to get hold of it. My plan was to use the oil then the wax as I have linseed oil and have a little bit of time to get started on monday, but probably won't have wax till till the end of next week.
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

I bought some micro papers off ebay kinda like emery papers (non there now i've just looked) just 6" squares in 1500.2400.3200.3600.4000.6000.and 12000 grit fo about £4 and found they ae excellent for fine sanding. Even those irritating fine scratches you get on a watch face can become history.

Comment

Wity I too bought some 1200 papers off ebay, the ferrule is shint as hell!

I find it better works like this guy shows.
        http://www.goldcoast8ball.com/cue/images/Figure16.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
          Can anyone give either some good advice or even better a detailed guide to re-finishing a shaft please?

I've already got good answers back from ADR147, so I know what I need to do the job basically, wire wool (0000) raw linseed oil, and beeswax.
          my advice - don't use wax. sure, it puts a temporary shine on a cue but can also become sticky.
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by mikewooldridge View Post
            my advice - don't use wax. sure, it puts a temporary shine on a cue but can also become sticky.
            Cheers Mike, always interesting to know what the cue makers think. I also heard (I think) that Trevor doesn't wax (his cues!) either. So maybe the best thing is to leave it all together. Still because I'm trying it out on a couple of spare cues I'll experiment a bit.

Also going to try it out on a very cheap snooker cue I bought from ebay because I was too skint to buy a good one! As well as it needing re-finished because it's probably got a layer of varnish half an inch thick lol, the shaft doesn't feel dense, or maybe I'm just crazy! But hey it cost me £35 with deliver and an extension so can't grumble at that! Will do till I can find a bargain on a good cue anyway .
            Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

i find pure beeswax is ok - just turns the oils into an emulsion.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                i find pure beeswax is ok - just turns the oils into an emulsion.
                So are you saying it's better to mix the wax and the oil then apply, rather than applying oil then applying wax later?

If so what sort of mix. I know you've got your own there but I mean are we talking about a 50/50 blend or...

Comment

yes i heat the oil gently and add the wax - then let it cool to a paste.
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
                    So what 'should' we use Mike?

Comment

Working...
                    X